Is there a trick to finding these 3D vectors in Cartesian coordinates?

In summary: The moment of the weight force about the x-axis can only be found by taking the cross product of the weight vector with the vector that represents the center of mass of the rod and handle combined.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-26_20-40-17.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a bit of trouble visualizing the vectors for these type of problems. The angles they give are very ambiguous and so I am not sure why they are there. For the 45 degree angle, how do i know that this is used for finding the x and z components of the weight force?

For the 60 degree angle, i am not sure why that is there and is useful for.

Do you think that it was be useful to analyze these parts individually by drawing the out separately?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-26_20-40-17.png
    upload_2018-3-26_20-40-17.png
    22 KB · Views: 1,061
Physics news on Phys.org
45 degrees is the angle that the rod makes with the vertical. That is needed to find the x,y,z coordinates of the centre of mass of the rod excluding its handle, and how gravity acting on that will transmit force to the points C and D.

60 degrees is the angle between the handle and the plane containing the vertical line and the rod. It is needed in order to find the coordinates of the CoM of the handle and hence the torque that the handle's weight applies to the rod, about the rod's axis, as well as what the handle adds to the force the rod applies to points C and D.

The rod will, unless opposed, rotate so that the handle goes to its lowest point. The moment M is what must be applied to stop that rotation from commencing.

andrewkirk said:
45 degrees is the angle that the rod makes with the vertical. That is needed to find the x,y,z coordinates of the centre of mass of the rod excluding its handle, and how gravity acting on that will transmit force to the points C and D.

60 degrees is the angle between the handle and the plane containing the vertical line and the rod. It is needed in order to find the coordinates of the CoM of the handle and hence the torque that the handle's weight applies to the rod, about the rod's axis, as well as what the handle adds to the force the rod applies to points C and D.

The rod will, unless opposed, rotate so that the handle goes to its lowest point. The moment M is what must be applied to stop that rotation from commencing.

I'm not sure if I am seeing the moment of the weight force about the x axis. Where is the perpendicular force?

lc99 said:
I'm not sure if I am seeing the moment of the weight force about the x axis. Where is the perpendicular force?
Taking C as the origin, the CoM (call it point M) of the rod+handle combination will have nonzero x, y and z coordinates.

Assuming the y-axis is supposed to be horizontal (it looks so, although the diagram does not explicitly state that), the weight force vector will be ##-\frac{W}{\sqrt2}(1,0,1)##. To get the moment of that about C, take the cross product of that weight vector with the vector CM. We can then observe that only one of the moment's coordinates can possibly be zero and it is not the x coordinate.

andrewkirk said:
Taking C as the origin, the CoM (call it point M) of the rod+handle combination will have nonzero x, y and z coordinates.

Assuming the y-axis is supposed to be horizontal (it looks so, although the diagram does not explicitly state that), the weight force vector will be ##-\frac{W}{\sqrt2}(1,0,1)##. To get the moment of that about C, take the cross product of that weight vector with the vector CM. We can then observe that only one of the moment's coordinates can possibly be zero and it is not the x coordinate.
Hi, I am still not getting it. cause the answer key i think says that it would have moment about x::
upload_2018-3-26_23-33-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-26_23-33-15.png
    upload_2018-3-26_23-33-15.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 432

Related to Is there a trick to finding these 3D vectors in Cartesian coordinates?

1. How do I determine the components of a 3D vector in Cartesian coordinates?

To determine the components of a 3D vector in Cartesian coordinates, you will need to use the x, y, and z axes to represent the three dimensions. The x-axis represents the horizontal component, the y-axis represents the vertical component, and the z-axis represents the depth component. By identifying where the vector intersects each axis, you can determine its components.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of a 3D vector in Cartesian coordinates?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of a 3D vector in Cartesian coordinates is √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

3. How do I find the direction of a 3D vector in Cartesian coordinates?

The direction of a 3D vector in Cartesian coordinates can be found by taking the ratios of its components along each axis. These ratios can be used to form a direction vector, which represents the direction in which the vector is pointing. The direction vector can also be normalized to have a magnitude of 1, indicating the unit direction of the vector.

4. Can 3D vectors in Cartesian coordinates be added or subtracted?

Yes, 3D vectors in Cartesian coordinates can be added or subtracted using the parallelogram method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a parallelogram. The diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum or difference of the two vectors.

5. What is the difference between a position vector and a direction vector in Cartesian coordinates?

A position vector in Cartesian coordinates represents the location of a point in space, while a direction vector represents the direction in which a vector is pointing. Both types of vectors have magnitude and direction, but a position vector has a specific location in space while a direction vector does not.