Is there a Stuff -> Materials it's made of reference around?

In summary: Aluminum foil is made from aluminum.In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether there is a reference that lists the materials used in everyday items. The speaker mentions their recent experience with a bottle of wine and their curiosity about the materials used in the wire cage and foil wrapping. They also mention that while there are references for specific materials, there is not a comprehensive listing for everyday items. Finally, they clarify that the wine they were drinking was sparkling wine, possibly champagne, and that wire is commonly made from steel while aluminum foil is made from aluminum.
SredniVashtar
Is there a "Stuff -> Materials it's made of" reference around?

This is somewhat a borderline question, but I guess the Materials subsection of the forum is the best place for it.

Yesterday I broached a bottle of wine, one with bubbles (that's the most elaborate description my wine expertise allows me). Before opening it, the cork and a metallic disk over its head were kept into place (friction apart) by a metal wire cage. The top of the bottle was also wrapped in what I believe it is a (relatively thick) aluminum foil.

After imbibing the wine (not the whole bottle, just a glass) I found myself wondering: do I really know what materials are used in the stuff I see every day? Take the metallic wire cage, for instance. What is it? Zinc plated iron? And the metallic disc over the cork?

Is there somewhere some sort of reference that can help me find the materials ordinary stuff is made of? I know that if I looked up a particular material I could end up with its many uses, but what I am looking for is a 'reverse' search reference: everyday stuff ---> material it is made of.

Is there such a reference, book, website or search engine?

Note: Awww, the title should read "materials it's made of". Itsy bitsy grammer.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You pose a good question, but afaik, there is no such reference.
There are descriptive rules that list ingredients for foodstuffs and medicines, but even they exclude the packaging from any mention.
Industrial products are often very heavily specified, down to the process details as well as the composition, but that is often held as confidential.
Government contracts are also very closely specified, partly because contractors will try to chisel every penny from the costs, so there must be a clear standard to meet. The details are often reserved for the potential bidders alone. There is no comprehensive listing here either.

What you were drinking was a sparkling wine, perhaps champagne.

wire is commonly made from steel, which is less brittle than iron.

Related to Is there a Stuff -> Materials it's made of reference around?

1. What are the common materials used to make everyday objects?

There are many materials used to make everyday objects, but some of the most common include plastic, metal, wood, glass, and fabric.

2. What are the properties of different materials?

The properties of materials vary depending on their composition and structure. Some common properties include hardness, flexibility, durability, conductivity, and transparency.

3. How do scientists determine what materials are best suited for a particular use?

Scientists use a variety of tests and experiments to determine the properties and characteristics of materials. They also consider factors such as cost, availability, and environmental impact to determine the best material for a specific use.

4. What are some examples of materials that are used for specific purposes?

There are many materials that are used for specific purposes. For example, steel is commonly used for building structures due to its strength and durability, while cotton is often used for clothing due to its softness and breathability.

5. How do materials impact our daily lives?

Materials play a crucial role in our daily lives, as they are used in almost everything we use and interact with. From the clothes we wear to the devices we use, materials help shape our modern world and make our lives easier and more comfortable.