Is there a stellar type that would make Firefly possible?

In summary, there are many more habitable planets in a multiple star system than in a single star system and the number could be further increased by haybitable moons of gas giants.
Bizmuth
The Firefly universe (as I understand it) is a large number of planets orbiting a very large star with a wide habitable zone. Of course, to make that work, the star would also have to be reasonably stable and not emit lethal levels of radiation. Is there a stellar class that could, even in principle, provide that environment?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Would a Red Giant fit the bill? Other than during their birth and near their death, aren't they fairly stable? They're certainly huge, their radius can be a hundred million miles or more.

Some time ago I made this spreadsheet for main sequence stars:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18dC2D_xyW3tFvWT47kb7Om6hW4YaHpwtUIYtEjvPEEM/edit?usp=sharing
it relates some basic relationships of stellar characteristics and evolution. It's in many ways simplistic, but should give you some idea of what are the scales and directions of tradeoffs between the size of the habitable zone, and the stellar life time.
There could probably be some exotic exemptions to what's in there (e.g. very fast rotators), but I wouldn't bet too much money on those.

The table goes only to something like 5 solar masses, but at that stage the star is already so short-lived, that forming solid planetary crust, let alone evolving a planetary ecosystem, becomes a major stretch.

I've never looked into the lore of Firefly, so I'm not sure what are the orbits of those planets, but you should be able to ascertain whether they fit into the ranges provided in the spreadsheet.

O.k., having just now looked it up, it appears that there are many systems in the 'Verse', most of which consisting of multiple stars (see the poster shown here: http://serenity.popapostle.com/html/episodes/Serenity.htm ) This in effect gives you many habitable zones.

newjerseyrunner said:
Would a Red Giant fit the bill?
That's already a dying star, which has been significantly changing its size for the past few millions of years. Planets need time and stability to evolve habitable conditions, and the red giant stage doesn't provide much of either.

Hmm, I don't see any way to support the number of habitable planets in any of those systems without descending into science fantasy. Oh well.

For what it is worth, the universe is so vast that almost anything that is possible, no matter how improbable, probably exists somewhere.

Likes Nugatory
Bizmuth said:
The Firefly universe (as I understand it) is a large number of planets orbiting a very large star with a wide habitable zone.

If I recall correctly it is a multiple star system with several small stars orbiting a large star. As each star has its own habitable zone, there are much more habitable planets possible than in a single star system and the number could be further increased by haybitable moons of gas giants. In addition there are some terraformed worlds which could be located outside of habitable zones. Something like that is extremely unlikely but not entirely science fantasy.

ohwilleke said:
For what it is worth, the universe is so vast that almost anything that is possible, no matter how improbable, probably exists somewhere.
The repository of lost socks must be somewhere.

Likes ohwilleke

Related to Is there a stellar type that would make Firefly possible?

1. Is there a specific type of star that could support a "Firefly" type of life?

Theoretically, there are certain types of stars that could support a "Firefly" type of life. These include red dwarf stars, which are small, cool and stable, and have a long lifespan. These stars are the most common in our galaxy, making up about 70% of all stars.

2. What characteristics would this star need to have in order to support life similar to "Firefly"?

In order to support life similar to "Firefly", the star would need to have a stable and consistent energy output, as well as a suitable habitable zone where temperatures are neither too hot nor too cold for life to thrive. It would also need to have a sufficient amount of heavy elements, such as carbon and oxygen, for the formation of planets and potential life forms.

3. Can a star's size affect its ability to support a "Firefly" type of life?

Yes, a star's size can play a role in its ability to support life similar to "Firefly". Smaller stars, such as red dwarfs, have a longer lifespan and therefore a longer period of stability for potential life forms to evolve. However, larger stars, such as blue giants, have a shorter lifespan but can also produce more energy and heat, resulting in a larger habitable zone.

4. Are there any other factors besides the star that could impact the possibility of a "Firefly" type of life?

Yes, there are other factors that could impact the possibility of a "Firefly" type of life. These include the presence of a suitable atmosphere, the planet's distance from the star, and the planet's composition and size. All of these factors, along with the star's characteristics, play a crucial role in the potential for life to exist.

5. Could there be other types of stars that could potentially support a "Firefly" type of life?

While red dwarf stars are the most likely candidates for supporting life similar to "Firefly", it is not impossible for other types of stars to also support it. For example, there are some white dwarf stars that have been found to have habitable zones, although these are rare. It is also possible that other types of stars, such as yellow dwarfs (like our Sun), could support "Firefly" type of life if the conditions are just right.