Is there a short form for this equation?

• Thread starter TheIsingGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Short
In summary, the conversation is about trying to simplify the equation S = A+L/(B+C)+L/(B-C). The initial suggestion of writing it as S = A + 2 L B/(B^2 - C^2) was deemed incorrect. The speaker then presents a more complicated version of the equation, S = A + L/(D+(B+C)^2) + L/(D+(B-C)^2), and asks for any ideas on how to simplify it. They also mention that D is necessary in this version of the equation. The conversation ends with a request for the speaker to show their attempt at simplifying the equation.
TheIsingGuy
I am trying to write down a compact form of[STRIKE] S = A+L/(B+C)+L/(B-C), does it make sense in general to write down S = A+L/(B[itex]\pm[/itex]C)?[/STRIKE]

Update:

I have simplified it too much in the minimal working example, the denominators is actually more complicated, let me elaborate:

[itex]S=A+\frac{L}{D+(B+C)^{2}}+\frac{L}{D+(B-C)^{2}}[/itex]

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, it does not make sense to write it that way.

What was wrong with S = A + 2 L B/(B^2 - C^2)?

Likes 1 person
TheIsingGuy said:
I am trying to write down a compact form of S = A+L/(B+C)+L/(B-C), does it make sense in general to write down S = A+L/(B[itex]\pm[/itex]C)?
If you write like that, it means the answer is:
##S=A+\frac{L}{B+C} or S=A+\frac{L}{B-C}##
Which is not correct.

I have simplified it too much in the minimal working example, the denominators is actually more complicated, let me elaborate:

Any ideas?

TheIsingGuy said:

Any ideas?
From where did this ##D## come from?

D is supposed to be there, I had ignored the square in the first post, in which case D is not neccessary. Now it is. Any ideas how to simplify it now?

TheIsingGuy said:
D is supposed to be there, I had ignored the square in the first post, in which case D is not neccessary. Now it is. Any ideas how to simplify it now?
Show us your attempt

adjacent said:
Show us your attempt

This is not homework, I believe it is the simplest form, some people might even recognise the equation (it's a famous one), I just wanted it to fit in 1 line on a double column publication

Related to Is there a short form for this equation?

1. What is a "short form" for an equation?

A short form for an equation is a condensed or abbreviated version of the original equation. It is used to simplify the equation and make it easier to understand or to perform calculations.

2. How do I know if there is a short form for a particular equation?

The best way to determine if there is a short form for an equation is to do some research and consult with experts in the field. You can also look for similar equations or patterns in other equations that may suggest a short form exists.

3. Is it necessary to use a short form for an equation?

No, it is not necessary to use a short form for an equation. However, it can be useful in certain situations, such as when working with complex equations or when trying to simplify calculations.

4. Can I create my own short form for an equation?

Yes, you can create your own short form for an equation as long as it accurately represents the original equation and follows accepted conventions for notation and formatting.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a short form for an equation?

One potential disadvantage of using a short form for an equation is that it may not be easily understood by others who are not familiar with the equation or the short form. It may also lead to errors if the short form is not properly defined or used incorrectly.