Is there a set A where (\mathcal{P}(A), \subseteq) is totally ordered?

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, if A = \emptyset or A has only one element, then (\mathcal{P}(A),\subseteq) is totally ordered.
Jacobpm64
Are there any sets A for which [tex](\mathcal{P}(A), \subseteq)[/tex] is totally ordered? Prove your answer.

To be courteous, I will include the definitions for partial ordering and total ordering.

A relation is a partial order if the relation is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. (in this case, the notation [tex](\mathcal{P}(A), \subseteq)[/tex] just denotes that [tex] \mathcal{P}(A) [/tex] under the relation [tex] \subseteq[/tex] is a partially ordered set.

A partially ordered set A with partial order [tex] \leq [/tex] is said to be totally ordered if given any two elements a and b in A, either [tex] a \leq b [/tex] or [tex] b \leq a [/tex].

So, to attempt this problem. I tried making up examples first. The only set A that I could come up with for which [tex](\mathcal{P}(A),\subseteq)[/tex] is totally ordered is a set with one element. Just to see this, let A = {1}. In this case, [tex] \mathcal{P}(A) = [/tex]{[tex]\emptyset[/tex] , {1}}. So, if I pick any two elements, a and b. [tex] a \leq b [/tex] or [tex] b \leq a [/tex]. For example, if I'd pick [tex] \emptyset [/tex] and {1}. Then, [tex] \emptyset \subseteq [/tex]{1}. So I think it works. I don't know if there are any other sets, A, where this works or if I'm even thinking about this correctly. (once I figure out all the sets, I'll attempt to put a proof up). Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is completely valid. P({1}) is totally ordered under inclusion, and this is enough to answer the problem.

If you want all such sets, then this isn't hard either. P(empty set) is also (trivially) totally ordered under inclusion. On the other hand if A contains at least two elements, say x and y, then {x} and {y} cannot be compared by inclusion, so P(A) isn't totally ordered.

so, in order to prove that it works for the empty set and a set with only one element, I need to provide a proof with two cases, correct?

Let me try to type that one up. Give me a bit, I'll post it here.

Claim: If A = [tex] \emptyset [/tex] or A has only one element, then[tex](\mathcal{P}(A),\subseteq)[/tex] is totally ordered.

Proof: Let A be a set. Assume A = [tex] \emptyset [/tex] or A has only one element.
Case 1: Suppose A = [tex] \emptyset [/tex]. Thus, [tex] \mathcal{P}(A) = [/tex]{ [tex] \emptyset [/tex] }. Let a = [tex] \emptyset [/tex] and b = [tex] \emptyset [/tex]. Therefore, [tex] a \geq b [/tex]. Hence, if A = [tex] \emptyset [/tex], then [tex](\mathcal{P}(A),\subseteq)[/tex] is totally ordered.
Case 2: Suppose A has only one element. Let x be an arbitrary element in A. Therefore, A = {x}. Thus, [tex] \mathcal{P}(A) [/tex] = { [tex] \emptyset [/tex], {x}}.

I'm stuck now.. Do I have to break it into a lot of cases, where empty set and empty set are chosen, empty set and x are chosen, or x and x are chosen?

Since the empty set is in {x}, you're done. You don't really have to break it into any cases. I think it's obvious.

Actually, ALL you need to do to solve your question is say: "Yes. P({empty}) has only one element and so must be totally ordered."

All right, thanks a lot.

Related to Is there a set A where (\mathcal{P}(A), \subseteq) is totally ordered?

1. What is a totally ordered relation?

A totally ordered relation is a type of binary relation that is reflexive, antisymmetric, transitive, and total. This means that for any two elements in the relation, one is always greater than or equal to the other. In other words, the relation is well-ordered and can be arranged in a linear sequence.

2. How is a totally ordered relation represented?

A totally ordered relation can be represented using a directed graph, where the vertices represent the elements in the relation and the edges represent the ordering between them. It can also be represented using a matrix, where the rows and columns represent the elements and the entries indicate the relationship between them.

3. What are some examples of totally ordered relations?

Examples of totally ordered relations include the relation "less than or equal to" on the set of real numbers, the relation "is a subset of" on the set of all sets, and the relation "comes before" on a timeline.

4. How is a totally ordered relation different from a partial order?

A totally ordered relation is stronger than a partial order in that it is also total. This means that every element in a totally ordered relation is comparable to every other element, while in a partial order, some elements may not be comparable. Additionally, a totally ordered relation is always transitive and antisymmetric, while a partial order may not be.

5. What is the importance of totally ordered relations in mathematics?

Totally ordered relations are important in mathematics as they provide a way to compare and order elements in a set. They are used in various mathematical concepts, such as in the definition of a well-ordered set, in the construction of number systems, and in the study of ordered fields. They also play a crucial role in computer science, particularly in the design and analysis of algorithms.