Is There a Relationship Between Mass, Charge, and Energy in Our Universe?

In summary, according to the content, the energy-due-to-charge of all the particles in the universe mostly cancels out, so the total energy of our universe will be bigger if the particle is charged. This is why there is no kind of charge/energy equivalence like for mass.
TMSxPhyFor
Hi All

A question that bothering me and I can't find answer for:

a charged particle in empty space will generate an electromagnetic field that has energy density and can be described by Energy-Momentum Tensor.

A non charged particle at rest also has energy due to mass energy equivalence.

so the total energy of our universe will be bigger if the particle is charged?!

if that true please explain why there is no kind of charge/energy equivalence like for mass.
But if that wrong, please explain from where our field gets the "extra" energy that it "radiates" (i.e photons)

Thx in advance for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TMSxPhyFor! :smile:

The energy-due-to-mass of all the particles in the universe adds up.

But the energy-due-to-charge of all the particles in the universe mostly cancels.

If there are two equal and opposite charges close together, the energy-due-to-charge is almost zero after a very short distance.

tiny-tim said:
Hi TMSxPhyFor! :smile:

The energy-due-to-mass of all the particles in the universe adds up.

But the energy-due-to-charge of all the particles in the universe mostly cancels.

If there are two equal and opposite charges close together, the energy-due-to-charge is almost zero after a very short distance.

I understand that you are talking about dipoles , but I mean if we imagine abstract empty universe with just one charged particle...

equivalence of energy and charge

Hello
I have had the same question regarding the possible equivalence between energy and charge. I recently published a paper on charge energy equivalence.
Let me know if you have found any definitive answer to this question.

db

What kind of equivalence are you looking for? In general relativity, (non-gravitational) energy-momentum density is codified in a symmetric tensor ##T_{ab}## whereas charge density and 3-current density are codified in a 4-vector ##j^a## (the energy-momentum tensor and 4-current density respectively) so clearly they are not even the same objects!

However there is a relationship between ##j^a## and ##T_{ab}## when the latter represents the energy-momentum density of an electromagnetic field ##F_{ab}##. In such a case, ##T_{ab}## is given by ##T_{ab} = \frac{1}{4\pi}(F_{ac}F_{b}{}{}^{c} - \frac{1}{4}g_{ab}F_{de}F^{de})## and one can easily show that ##\nabla^a T_{ab} = F_{ab}j^a## using Maxwell's equations ##\nabla^a F_{ab} = -4\pi j_b## and ##\nabla_{[a}F_{bc]} = 0##. This is nothing more than the general relativistic version of Poynting's theorem.

Indeed, we have that ##\nabla^a T_{ab} = \frac{1}{4\pi}(F_{b}{}{}^{c}\nabla^aF_{ac} + F_{ac}\nabla^a F_{b}{}{}^{c} - \frac{1}{2}F_{ac}\nabla_bF^{ac}) \\= -F_{bc}j^{c} + \frac{1}{8\pi}(F_{ac}\nabla^a F_{b}{}{}^{c} + F_{ac}\nabla^{c}F^{a}{}{}_{b} - F_{ac}\nabla_bF^{ac}) = F_{ab}j^{a}##
as desired.

Hello,
without getting into general relativity, I would like to get an equivalence between charge quantity of a particle like electron and its total energy in a rest frame. similar to what e=mc^2 for a particle with m mass.
further, this should be able to extend to an energy-momentum relation, as in the case of a mass particle, where E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2.

Oh, certainly there exists something of that nature but not exactly as you have posed it. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_mass

Check out Schwartz "Principles of Electrodynamics" pp.200-203 for a discussion/derivation of the electromagnetic mass.

Hi,
well, when it comes to E=mc^2, the energy is a function of the mass quantity but not based on its structure. However the one that you have pointed out is not just a function of the charge associated with the particle, but also with its structure terms like radius.
If you have little time, you could go through this paper that I published, titled "On the Planck Scale Potential Associated with Particles" and give your feedback.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dinesh_Bulathsinghala/?ev=prf_highl
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is There a Relationship Between Mass, Charge, and Energy in Our Universe?

1. What is the relationship between mass, charge, and energy?

The relationship between mass, charge, and energy is defined by the famous equation E=mc², where E stands for energy, m stands for mass, and c stands for the speed of light. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and are essentially different forms of the same thing.

2. How does the mass-energy relation apply to nuclear reactions?

The mass-energy relation plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions. In these reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, as predicted by Einstein's equation. This is how nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons work.

3. Can mass be created or destroyed according to the mass-energy relation?

No, according to the mass-energy relation, mass cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted into energy and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of mass-energy.

4. How does the mass-energy relation relate to the concept of relativity?

The mass-energy relation is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. It shows that mass and energy are relative to each other and are not absolute quantities. This means that the mass and energy of an object can change depending on the observer's frame of reference.

5. What are some practical applications of the mass-energy relation?

The mass-energy relation has many practical applications, including nuclear power, nuclear medicine, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of stars and galaxies in the universe.