Is There a Relationship Between Electron Spin and Proton Spin?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin and its application to particles such as electrons and protons. While there is no actual physical spinning involved, assigning spin quantum numbers helps to explain the results of experiments and maintain the principle of Conservation of Angular Momentum. The conversation also touches on the historical origin of the term "spin" and cautions against using colloquial terms in the context of physics. The Schrodinger equation is mentioned as a way to incorporate angular momentum into calculations.
anorred
I'm no physicist, so please enlighten me. Is an electron's spin related to the spin of a proton? Do they spin at the same frequency? I read that electrons have a higher magnetic moment and stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no special relationship between the electron and proton spins... though the concept of spin applies to both of them.

It is not useful to think of electrons and protons as being little balls that physically spin about on an axis though...

Why do electrons and protons spin?

neptunedude said:

That's not a valid "why" question - and many of the questions that people ask are not. (Listen to Feynman ranting about "why" and you will see what I mean; a google search will soon throw up a link). All that can be said is that it helps to explain what happens if you assign them spin.

The reason that particles are said to have spin is that, when they interact with systems, the principle of Conservation of Angular Momentum has to apply (as always). If you want to account for the results of experiments, the angular momentum of your experiment seems to change. This cannot happen so you need to account for it by saying that some angular momentum 'goes into' the electron (or whatever). So giving them angular momentum explains what happens when they interact.
It is not helpful (as stated earlier) to think of little objects spinning in space because such mechanical models will take you down the wrong road.

Likes Eric Eliason
neptunedude said:

This is also the wrong concept based on the way you asked.

Electrons and protons DO NOT SPIN.

They do, however, have a property called "spin quantum number". There's nothing spinning here. The name 'spin' stuck due to historical reasons. Do not be fooled by the name. Rather, try to understand the physics.

Zz.

Likes mfb
ZapperZ said:
This is also the wrong concept based on the way you asked.

Electrons and protons DO NOT SPIN.

They do, however, have a property called "spin quantum number". There's nothing spinning here. The name 'spin' stuck due to historical reasons. Do not be fooled by the name. Rather, try to understand the physics.

Zz.

Absolutely. Likewise with Strangeness, Colour, Flavour and all the other loopy terms that those (brilliant but nerdy) West Coast academics introduced in an attempt at humour and smartness. These words are all used well out of their normal, colloquial context. Beware!

Thank you sophiecentaur. I was 2.5 months into a book. Since orbital shapes mimic possible planetary orbits I assumed atoms could be this way. I didn't realize that the difference between a Bohr and Schroedinger model was an angular momentum that had calculations match with the latter more than the former. Now I don't have to spend 1.5-5.5 months more on a wasted book. You saved someone time and I hope to spend it on something better.

I found out that the Schroedinger equation includes angular momentum too. My book still may work!

Yes - the Schrodinger equation is, in general: $$\left( \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 - V(\vec r) - i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)\Psi(\vec r, t) = 0$$ ... the potential ##V(\vec r)## should describe whatever it is that influences the behaviour of what you are interested in. If the angular momentum is important, then it should have an angular momentum term in it.

Related to Is There a Relationship Between Electron Spin and Proton Spin?

What is the difference between electron spin and proton spin?

Electron spin and proton spin refer to the intrinsic angular momentum of these subatomic particles. While both are considered spin, they are fundamentally different properties.

How is electron spin determined?

Electron spin is a quantum mechanical property that is determined by the orientation of the electron's magnetic dipole moment. It can have two possible values, either "spin up" or "spin down".

What is the role of electron spin in chemistry?

Electron spin plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure and properties of atoms, molecules, and materials. It affects the magnetic and chemical behavior of these systems, and is essential for understanding chemical bonding and reactions.

How does proton spin differ from electron spin?

Unlike electron spin, proton spin does not have two possible values. Protons have a spin of 1/2, similar to electrons, but they also have a property called isospin which can have three possible values. Proton spin is also involved in determining the nuclear magnetic moment of atoms.

Can electron spin and proton spin change?

Electron spin and proton spin are intrinsic properties of these particles and cannot be altered or changed. They are always present and play a fundamental role in the behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level.