Is there a reason Lang uses (x-s)^2 instead of (x+s)^2?

In summary, in solving quadratic equations, the choice of a negative sign for the constant term is a matter of convention for mathematicians. This is because the equation can be written as a product of two linear factors, and the negative sign helps to determine the location of the zeros of the equation. This convention is due to the symmetry of the parabola represented by the equation.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

When learning about quadratic equations in Langs book he gave the example:

let ax^2 + bx+ c = 0 be an equation

he subtracts the c, and says we want to get the left hand side (ax^2 + bx) = (x-s)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just interested, either my conclusion that it doesn't matter which one you use, you will get the same solution, is wrong, or is this just a matter of convention for mathematicians to use negative numbers?

Sorry if this questions seems a bit useless but I'm curious about something..

Physics news on Phys.org
r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

he subtracts the c, and says we want to get the left hand side (ax^2 + bx) = (x-s)^2

Homework Equations

I'm just interested, either my conclusion that it doesn't matter which one you use, you will get the same solution, is wrong, or is this just a matter of convention for mathematicians to use negative numbers?

Solving something like ##\ (x-s)^2 = D \ ## then gives ##\ x=s\pm\sqrt{D} \ ## rather than ##\ x=-s\pm\sqrt{D} \ ##.

No biggy, but that's likely the reason.

Added in Edit:
I beat @fresh_42 to it, but he gives a better and more complete answer.

Added in Edit #2:
Also:
##\ (x-s)^2 = D \ ## Is the equation of a parabola with a symmetry axis of ##\ x=s\,.##

Likes r0bHadz
r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Of course you can use both signs. The choice of a negative ##s## comes from the fact that the equation can be written as ##ax^2+bx+c=a(x-s)(x-t)##. The numbers ##s,t## are called zeros of the equation. If you write ##ax^2+bx+c=a(x+s)(x+t)## then the zeros are instead of ##x=s## and ##x=t## at ##x=-s## and ##x=-t##, which is confusing.

You can test it. Take e.g. ##p(x)=4x^2 + 8x - 12## then ##p(1)=0##. Now divide ##p(x)\, : \,(x-1)##. You won't have a remainder. So the zero is at ##x=1##, the location at which ##p(1)=0##. And ##(x+1) \nmid p(x)\,.## So whenever a polynomial ##p(x)## has a zero at ##x=s \Longleftrightarrow x-s=0##, i.e. ##p(s)=0##, then we have ##(x-s) \,|\,p(x)## without remainder. That's where the sign convention comes from.

Likes r0bHadz
SammyS said:
Added in Edit #2:
Also:
##\ (x-s)^2 = D \ ## Is the equation of a parabola with a symmetry axis of ##\ x=s\,.##

this is very good to know! cheers!

fresh_42 said:
Of course you can use both signs. The choice of a negative ##s## comes from the fact that the equation can be written as ##ax^2+bx+c=a(x-s)(x-t)##. The numbers ##s,t## are called zeros of the equation. If you write ##ax^2+bx+c=a(x+s)(x+t)## then the zeros are instead of ##x=s## and ##x=t## at ##x=-s## and ##x=-t##, which is confusing.

You can test it. Take e.g. ##p(x)=4x^2 + 8x - 12## then ##p(1)=0##. Now divide ##p(x)\, : \,(x-1)##. You won't have a remainder. So the zero is at ##x=1##, the location at which ##p(1)=0##. And ##(x+1) \nmid p(x)\,.## So whenever a polynomial ##p(x)## has a zero at ##x=s \Longleftrightarrow x-s=0##, i.e. ##p(s)=0##, then we have ##(x-s) \,|\,p(x)## without remainder. That's where the sign convention comes from.

cheers! very well explained mate.

Related to Is there a reason Lang uses (x-s)^2 instead of (x+s)^2?

1. Why does Lang use (x-s)^2 instead of (x+s)^2?

Lang uses (x-s)^2 instead of (x+s)^2 because it allows for a more intuitive and consistent representation of parabolas. When using (x-s)^2, the vertex of the parabola is located at (s, 0), making it easier to graph and interpret.

2. Is there a mathematical reason behind Lang's choice?

Yes, there is a mathematical reason behind Lang's choice. The (x-s)^2 form is known as the standard form of a parabola, which is commonly used in algebra and calculus. It simplifies the equation and makes it easier to identify key characteristics such as the vertex and axis of symmetry.

3. Does using (x-s)^2 affect the shape of the parabola?

No, using (x-s)^2 does not affect the shape of the parabola. Both forms, (x-s)^2 and (x+s)^2, represent a parabola with the same shape and orientation. The only difference is the location of the vertex and the axis of symmetry.

4. Are there any advantages to using (x-s)^2 instead of (x+s)^2?

Yes, there are advantages to using (x-s)^2 over (x+s)^2. As mentioned earlier, it allows for an easier and more consistent representation of parabolas. It also simplifies the process of finding the vertex and axis of symmetry, which are important in solving equations and graphing.

5. Is (x-s)^2 the only form used for representing parabolas?

No, (x-s)^2 is not the only form used for representing parabolas. There are other forms such as the vertex form, factored form, and intercept form. Each form has its own advantages and is used in different situations, but (x-s)^2 is the most commonly used form.