Is there a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies?

In summary, the spectrometers measuring galactic rotation have the resolution to isolate the two sides of galaxies that happen to be edge on with respect to us. However, I'm not sure why you think there should be any blueshift from the center vs redshift from the limbs. Additionally, there are no radial gradients of red/blueshift seen in galaxies whose plane is perpendicular to our line of sight.
hkyriazi
TL;DR Summary
Is there a small, radial gradient of stellar redshifts in individual galaxies, with bluer light coming from the center, and redder light from stars in the galaxy periphery?
The summary says it all. Such small gradients, if they exist, would be visible in the Milky Way and local galaxies in our cluster. I'm not familiar enough with the raw data--and haven't tried to search the astronomical literature--to know whether any such small effect has been reported. (If such effects were large, I'm sure I'd have already heard about them, as they'd be discussed actively. Tiny effects, however, might be ascribed to gravitational red/blueshifts, star temperature differences, or other unknown causes, and not widely known.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
One can measure galactic rotation by comparing relative blue vs redshift of light from the approaching vs receding limb. It's routinely done.
I'm not sure why you think there should be any blueshift from the centre vs redshift from the limbs.

Likes davenn and hkyriazi
Thanks. I should've remembered or thought of that!

Do you happen to know whether the spectrometers measuring such rotational shifts have the resolution to isolate the two sides of galaxies that happen to be edge on with respect to us? In other words, can we actually identify one half as redshifted and the other as blueshifted, or does the spectrometer take in a smear of light from the whole galaxy, and we calculate the rotation rate based on the spread of the wavelengths (and simply assuming the redshifted portion is receding, etc.)? Perhaps they do both, depending upon the galaxy's "visual size" (subtended angle).

Alternatively, are there any radial gradients of red/blueshift seen in galaxies whose plane is perpendicular to our line of sight? I suspect not, or you'd have mentioned it.

As to why I suspect there may be such shifts, I'm pursuing a hypothesis within a larger theory, related to Milgrom's MOND hypothesis, that matter varies in "strength," and inertia, depending upon its proximity to other matter. Regions of space dense with matter would have stronger matter, and matter in the periphery would be weaker and with less inertia (more greatly affected by gravity, and having lower frequencies of light emitted).

hkyriazi said:
Do you happen to know whether the spectrometers measuring such rotational shifts have the resolution to isolate the two sides of galaxies that happen to be edge on with respect to us? In other words, can we actually identify one half as redshifted and the other as blueshifted, or does the spectrometer take in a smear of light from the whole galaxy, and we calculate the rotation rate based on the spread of the wavelengths (and simply assuming the redshifted portion is receding, etc.)? Perhaps they do both, depending upon the galaxy's "visual size" (subtended angle).

If the galaxy is near enough, and hence large enough in angular size, the spectrograph can definitely resolve the varying redshift across the galaxy. Here's an example from the Hubble STIS.

Likes hkyriazi and Bandersnatch
Here's another example (UGC 2936):
1565116814485.png

As a rule of thumb, if a galaxy is resolvable as a line , you can place a spectrograph across the image.

Last edited:
Likes mfb and hkyriazi
Lots of info in this single plot! Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Apart from radial velocities (which dominate) there is a small blueshift redshift from the center as the light is emitted in a deeper gravity well and redshifts while leaving it.

Last edited:
mfb said:
there is a small blueshift from the center
Did you mean to say redshift?

Likes hkyriazi
mfb said:
Apart from radial velocities (which dominate) there is a small blueshift from the center as the light is emitted in a deeper gravity well and redshifts while leaving it.
Now I'm getting confused. Do you mean tangential velocities, not radial? Ah...never mind. You mean the radial velocity of the entire galaxy, not the rotationally-induced shifts.
I would think the deeper gravity well in the center would lead to a greater gravitational redshift, and not at all blue.

Bandersnatch said:
Here's another example (UGC 2936):
View attachment 247734
As a rule of thumb, if a galaxy is resolvable as a line , you can place a spectrograph across the image.
Anyone have any idea what accounts for the breadth of the spectral lines at the galaxy center? Is it just a smear due to over-exposure, or simply to the finite size of the slit used to filter the light, along with the smear of tangential velocities that passed through the slit filter?

hkyriazi said:
Now I'm getting confused. Do you mean tangential velocities, not radial? Ah...never mind. You mean the radial velocity of the entire galaxy, not the rotationally-induced shifts.
Radial as seen from us (distance to us), not radial in the galaxy.

I meant redshift where I wrote blueshift, my mistake.
hkyriazi said:
Anyone have any idea what accounts for the breadth of the spectral lines at the galaxy center? Is it just a smear due to over-exposure, or simply to the finite size of the slit used to filter the light, along with the smear of tangential velocities that passed through the slit filter?
Radial velocities increase near the central black hole and all these stars might be too close to resolve that region.

1. What is a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies?

A radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies refers to the observation that the redshift (a measure of how much light from an object has been stretched to longer wavelengths) of stars and gas within a galaxy tends to increase as one moves further away from the center of the galaxy.

2. What causes a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies?

The most likely cause of a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies is the presence of dark matter. Dark matter is a mysterious substance that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and has a gravitational effect on the stars and gas within a galaxy, causing them to move faster and thus have a higher redshift.

3. Are there any other possible explanations for a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies?

Some scientists have proposed alternative explanations for a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies, such as the effect of galactic winds (outflows of gas from a galaxy) or the presence of massive black holes at the center of galaxies. However, these explanations are not as well-supported by evidence as the dark matter explanation.

4. How do scientists measure the redshift of galaxies?

Scientists measure the redshift of galaxies using a technique called spectroscopy. This involves splitting the light from a galaxy into its component wavelengths and then analyzing the pattern of absorption and emission lines to determine the redshift. The more the lines are shifted to longer wavelengths, the higher the redshift.

5. What implications does a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies have for our understanding of the universe?

The presence of a radial gradient of redshifts within individual galaxies supports the theory of dark matter and provides evidence for the existence of this mysterious substance. It also helps scientists better understand the distribution and properties of dark matter within galaxies, which is crucial for understanding the overall structure and evolution of the universe.