Is there a quantification of gravitational attraction at the atomic level?

• Thread starter CRGordon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of a system of units for gravitational attraction, specifically in regards to a hydrogen atom or proton. It also questioned the relationship between mass and gravity, particularly the role of Higgs bosons in creating mass and gravity. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted Newton's law of gravitation and the weakness of the force of gravity between atoms.
CRGordon
What I'd like to know is has anyone figured out a system of units for gravitational attraction? I can't find anything on google. For instance, given a hydrogen atom or even just a proton, is there a quantification of how much gravitational attraction it exerts on everything else around it (I suppose at a given distance)

I'm not talking about weight here, since that changes based on the setting of the mass in question

Second questions, is there a layman's explanation of the relationship between mass (which I understand is thought to be created by higgs bosons) and the actual gravitational force being provided by mass? Does one (the higgs) cause gravity, or are both mass and gravity produced by something else and are simply correlated?

Thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like you are just looking for Newton's equation for gravitational force. Are you familiar with it?

I can't answer your second question but your first one is, just as Russ pointed out, Newton's law of gravitation.

GM1M2 / d^2

G= Gravitational constant
M1= Mass one
M2= Mass two

divided by their distance squared.

The Higgs field is part of the explanation for mass. Most of the mass of nucleons comes from internal energy.

Gravity is a force (proportional to mass) described by Newton's law and more precisely by general rerlativity. Current theory has no direct connection with Higgs field.

Just to show how weak the force of gravity is between atoms, A. J. Mallmann in an article in The Physics Teacher v 32 1994 calculated that two hydrogen atoms initially at rest and 1.0 mm apart attracted only by gravity would take 2 million years for them to "fall" to a separation of 0.5mm. Very interesting.

Related to Is there a quantification of gravitational attraction at the atomic level?

1. What is the smallest unit of measurement for gravity?

The smallest unit of measurement for gravity is the Planck length, which is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. Can gravity be divided into smaller parts?

No, gravity cannot be divided into smaller parts. It is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be broken down into smaller components.

3. How is the smallest quantity of gravity measured?

The smallest quantity of gravity can be measured using highly sensitive instruments such as a gravimeter or a torsion balance. These devices can detect even the slightest changes in gravitational force.

4. Is there a limit to how small gravity can be measured?

Currently, the smallest quantity of gravity that can be measured is the Planck length. It is believed that beyond this limit, the laws of physics break down and our understanding of gravity becomes uncertain.

5. Can the smallest quantity of gravity vary in different parts of the universe?

Yes, the smallest quantity of gravity can vary in different parts of the universe. This is because the strength of gravity depends on the mass and distance of the objects involved, and these can vary greatly in different regions of the universe.