Is there a good introduction to Hawking Radiation?

In summary: This a standard and a very interesting book, but it has a fairly steep learning curve.The other standard is Quantum Fields in Curved Space by Birrell and Davies.A nice though less detailed introduction Chapter 9 Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime from Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity by Carroll.I looked at Wald. It seems that it is rather involved. I will try to get the other books. In any case, if you can indicate any material that will help, I will be very grateful.I am just an undergraduate student of physics and I would like to know what would be the best (most pedagogical) introduction to Hawking Radiation.
JustStudent
I am just an undergraduate student of physics and I would like to know what would be the best (most pedagogical) introduction to Hawking Radiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
JustStudent said:
I am just an undergraduate student of physics and I would like to know what would be the best (most pedagogical) introduction to Hawking Radiation.

Do you have any experience with general relativity?

I guess I have a reasonable knowledge of GR and QFT. At least, I hope so. Anyway, if it is not enough, I can always study more...

JustStudent said:
I guess I have a reasonable knowledge of GR and QFT. At least, I hope so. Anyway, if it is not enough, I can always study more...

Then maybe the book the book Quantum Effects in Gravity

http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521868341

by Mukhanov and Winitzki, which has exercises and solutions (not just answers). Take a look at the Table of Contents.

Also, try Wald's "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics", chapter 7.

Thanks a lot. I will try both.

DopplerDog said:
Also, try Wald's "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics", chapter 7.

This a standard and a very interesting book, but it has a fairly steep learning curve.

The other standard is Quantum Fields in Curved Space by Birrell and Davies.

A nice though less detailed introduction Chapter 9 Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime from Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity by Carroll.

I looked at Wald. It seems that it is rather involved. I will try to get the other books. In any case, if you can indicate any material that will help, I will be very grateful.

JustStudent said:
I think the wikipedia article on Hawking Radiation is pretty nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

i wish someone could explain this to me...
"In order to preserve total energy, the particle that fell into the black hole must have had a negative energy (with respect to an observer far away from the black hole). "

why can only the negative energy particles fall in? why can't the positive energy particles fall in?

jnorman said:
i wish someone could explain this to me...
"In order to preserve total energy, the particle that fell into the black hole must have had a negative energy (with respect to an observer far away from the black hole). "

why can only the negative energy particles fall in? why can't the positive energy particles fall in?

Steve Carlip talks about this

http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html#Hawkrad

The answer is at the end, but read the whole thing.

thanks george - i have read that article. the conclusion indicates:
"Note that this doesn't work in the other direction -- you can't have the positive-energy particle cross the horizon and leaves the negative- energy particle stranded outside, since a negative-energy particle can't continue to exist outside the horizon for a time longer than h/E. So the black hole can lose energy to vacuum fluctuations, but it can't gain energy."

now that might be correct, IF a BH gave a damn what it was absorbing. i do not see how an event horizon would be particular about what falls into it - it doesn't care if a positive particle falls in, and has no inherent knowledge of where or whence that particle arrived in that situation. the rest of the universe is not going to yell "stop it! spit that particle back out here this instant, young man!" and intercede on behalf of some lonely antiparticle.

for that matter, where the heck did all the antiparticles from the big bang go, anyway? why is there such a humongous imbalance in the amount of matter and antimatter observable in the universe today?

MeJennifer said:
I think the wikipedia article on Hawking Radiation is pretty nice.

It is quite nice indeed, but I am looking for the derivation of the effect. I did look at Hawking's original paper, but it is not very clear though, at least at my level. I was expecting something more digested once the topic is old enough to have filtered to textbooks.

I've just checked Mukhanov and Winitzki. The book is awesome and very pedagogical, not only on Hawking radiation but all over the whole chapter 9. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for the indication.

While there seems to be plenty of info regarding Hawking radiation and static black holes, is there any info about how the various equations for T and P apply to rotating black holes?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the leads. The information I've managed to gather is-

Temperature-

[tex]T=\frac{\kappa}{2\pi}\left[\frac{\hbar}{k_bc}\right][/tex]

where [itex]\kappa[/itex] is the Killing surface gravity of the black hole, [itex]\hbar[/tex] is the reduced Planck constant and [itex]k_b[/itex] is the Boltzmann constant.

for a static black hole-

[tex]\kappa=\frac{c^4}{4Gm}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{\hbar c^3}{8\pi Gk_bm}[/tex]

for a rotating black hole-

[tex]\kappa=c^2\ \frac{(r_+-r_-)}{2\left(r_+^2+a^2\right)}=c^2\ \frac{(r_+^2-a^2)}{2r_+(r_+^2+a^2)}=c^2\ \frac{r_+-M}{2Mr_+}[/tex]

all the above reduce to the static solution for [itex]\kappa[/itex] when a=0

where

[tex]r_+=M+\sqrt{M^2-a^2}[/tex]

[tex]r_-=M-\sqrt{M^2-a^2}[/tex]

and M is the gravitational constant (M=Gm/c^2) and a is the spin parameter in metres (a=J/mc)

various equations for T-

[tex]\tag{1}T=c^2 \frac{\sqrt{M^2-a^2}}{4\pi M\left(M+\sqrt{M^2-a^2}\right)}\left[\frac{\hbar}{k_bc}\right][/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{(r_+^2-a^2)\hbar c}{4\pi r_+(r_+^2+a^2)k_b}=\frac{(r_+-M)\hbar c}{4\pi Mr_+k_b}[/tex]

Power-

derived from-

[tex]P=A\epsilon \sigma T^4[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is 1 and [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the Stefan–Boltzmann constant

[tex]A=4\pi (r_+^2+a^2)[/tex]

[tex]P=\left(4\pi (r_+^2+a^2)\right)\left(\frac{\pi^2 k_b^4}{60\hbar^3 c^2}\right)\left( \frac{(r_+^2-a^2)\hbar c}{4\pi r_+(r_+^2+a^2)k_b}\right)^4[/tex]

[tex]P=\frac{(r_+^2-a^2)^4\hbar c^2}{3840\ \pi r_+^4(r_+^2+a^2)^3}[/tex]

Alternative equation for P using different [itex]\kappa[/itex]-

[tex]P=\frac{(r_+^2+a^2)(r_+-M)^4\hbar c^2}{3840\ \pi r_+^4M^4}[/tex]

This is about as far as I got. It appears in order to calculate time, mass has to be extracted from the P equation. Does anyone see a way?

regards
Steve

(1)- page 6
'Hawking radiation of Dirac particles via tunneling from Kerr black holes'
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0803/0803.1410v2.pdf

more reference-
http://arxiv.org/find/all/1/all:+AN.../1/0/all/0/1?skip=0&query_id=35869ea8e9349689

Last edited:
I found the following equation which goes towards isolating mass in order to progress towards calculating time in respect of a rotating black hole-

[tex]\tag{1}T=\frac{\hbar\kappa}{2\pi k_bc}=2\left(1+\frac{M}{\sqrt{M^2-a^2}\right)^{-1}} \frac{\hbar c^3}{8\pi Gk_bm}[/tex]

Based on the above, the Killing surface gravity for a rotating black hole can be expressed as-

[tex]\kappa=c^2\ \frac{(r_+-r_-)}{2\left(r_+^2+a^2\right)}=2\left(1+\frac{M}{\sqrt{M^2-a^2}\right)^{-1}}\frac{c^4}{4Gm}[/tex]

(while the second equation is good for a/M<1 it doesn't work at exactly a/M=1 where the results should produce zero due to the outer and inner event horizons converging at the gravitational radius, leaving a naked singularity (as does the first equation). While the gradient of decrease is good up to a/M=1, zero at a/M=1 is implied. It does, however, work for a Schwarzschild solution at a=0).

The second equation can be simplified to-

[tex]\kappa=2\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-a_{\ast}^2)}\right)^{-1}}\frac{c^4}{4Gm}[/tex]

where a=a/M

A solution for Hawking radiation that applies to both static and rotating black holes is-

[tex]T = 2\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-a_{\ast}^2)}\right)^{-1}} \frac{\hbar c^3}{8 \pi G k_b m}[/tex]

Equations can be formulated for power (P) and time (t)-

[tex]P=A\epsilon \sigma T^4[/tex]

where for a rotating black hole-

[tex]\tag{2}A=8\pi M\left(M+\sqrt{M^2-a^2}\right)[/tex]

which can be rewritten relative to the Schwarzschild equation as-

[tex]A=\frac{1}{2}\left(1+\sqrt{(1-a_\ast^2)}\right) \frac{16 \pi G^2m^2}{c^4}[/tex]

Meaning the equations for power (P) and time (t) for a rotating black hole would be-

[tex]P=\frac{1}{2}\left(1+\sqrt{(1-a_\ast^2)}\right)\frac{\hbar c^6}{15360 \pi G^2 m^2}\ 16\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-a_{\ast}^2)}\right)^{-4}}[/tex]

[tex]t=2\left(1+\sqrt{(1-a_\ast^2)}\right)^{-1}\ \frac{5120 \pi G^2 m^3}{\hbar c^4}\ \frac{1}{16}\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-a_{\ast}^2)}\right)^{4}}[/tex]

(1)
'Black Hole Thermodynamics' by Narit Pidokrajt
http://www.physto.se/~narit/bh.pdf
page 10

(2)
'Black Holes: An Introduction' by Derek J. Raine & Edwin George Thomas
http://books.google.com/books?id=oPTHJedi_uQC&pg=PA59&lpg=PR7&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
page 59

static solutions-

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is there a good introduction to Hawking Radiation?

1. What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a theory proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in 1974, which states that black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near the event horizon.

2. How does Hawking Radiation support the idea of black holes evaporating?

Hawking Radiation suggests that black holes gradually lose mass and energy due to the emission of particles, ultimately leading to their evaporation over an extremely long period of time.

3. Can Hawking Radiation be observed or measured?

Unfortunately, Hawking Radiation is too faint to be directly observed or measured by current technology. However, there are ongoing efforts to indirectly detect its effects through experiments and observations.

4. What is the significance of Hawking Radiation in the study of black holes?

Hawking Radiation provides a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of black holes and their eventual fate. It also has important implications for the fields of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. Are there any controversies or criticisms surrounding Hawking Radiation?

Some physicists have raised concerns about the consistency of Hawking Radiation with other principles and theories, and there is ongoing debate about its exact mechanism and implications. However, it remains a widely accepted and influential concept in the study of black holes.