Is there a good book/introduction on the theory of sensors?

In summary: Sensor technology changes rapidly, so the information in a textbook about it might be outdated even if the textbook was written in the past year. Additionally, the requirements for certain types of sensors can change depending on the application.
Simfish
Gold Member
Especially one that's recent?

It's awfully hard to find anything on the Internet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a very broad question question as posed.

Aspects of it are the "Theory of Physical Measurement" or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrology" .

Aspects of it are the "Theory of Phenomena X" where X is some particular phenomena. For example are you measuring EM energy? Are you measuring physical distance/displacement/angles? This is mostly just "Physics of the World".

Aspects of it are the "Theory of Operation of Sensor Technology Y" where Y is some particular technology. Usually this falls under the category of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measuring_instrument" ". Measuring microwaves involves a different set of technologies from optical signals. Measuring distance involves different technologies from measuring angles. They can be related but optimizing for one parameter generally shifts and trades-off for others parameters.

High tech or leading-edge performance implementations of any given type of measurement instrument enters into the economic realm - businesses tend to hold that information instead of academia because they make money from it and have an incentive to advance the state of the art.

All of these is probably why you can't find much.

Since you signed "Astro Undergrad", maybe I can assume you mean optical imaging sensors but I can't be sure because you could want to know about any part of the EM spectrum and with or without spatial/angular information. And even knowing that, the specific requirements can change what kind of sensor you should use even within a particular narrow class of application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that's a good reply.

It's true that it's a broad question. But most textbooks cover things that are broad. So I would have expected a textbook in something like this.

Good point about businesses holding most of the info though. I got more theory out of an Omega handbook than out of anything else I could find. Granted, I'd prefer textbooks since textbooks aren't discarded so quickly.

Ah - I have interdisciplinary interests, so I actually had biological and chemical sensors in mind.

Related to Is there a good book/introduction on the theory of sensors?

1. What is the theory of sensors?

The theory of sensors is a branch of science that deals with the study of sensors, which are devices that can measure physical quantities and convert them into electrical signals.

2. Why is it important to understand the theory of sensors?

Understanding the theory of sensors is important because sensors play a crucial role in many technological advancements, such as in medical devices, automotive systems, and environmental monitoring. Knowing the theory behind how sensors work allows for better design and utilization of these devices.

3. Is there a book that provides a good introduction to the theory of sensors?

Yes, there are many books available that provide a good introduction to the theory of sensors. Some popular titles include "Introduction to Sensors" by Trevor M. Barlow, "Sensor Technology Handbook" by Jon S. Wilson, and "Principles of Sensor Systems" by Frank Kvasnik.

4. What topics are typically covered in a book on the theory of sensors?

A book on the theory of sensors typically covers topics such as the principles of sensor operation, types of sensors and their applications, sensor calibration and signal processing, and the latest advancements in sensor technology.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning about the theory of sensors?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about the theory of sensors. Some examples include online courses, tutorials, and articles on websites such as IEEE Sensors Journal and Sensors Online. Additionally, many universities offer online lectures and materials on sensor theory as part of their engineering or physics programs.