Is there a function that equals its Laplace transform?

In summary, the conversation is about whether a function can be its own Laplace transform, and there is disagreement about the possibility of this with some examples given. It is noted that for complex functions, there are multiple solutions to this problem.
Bipolarity
Google seems to provide not much information on this. In essence, I am asking about the eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform when λ=1? Anyone have any insights on this rather unusual problem?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
You want: $$F(s) = \int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-st}dt = f(s)$$ ... for a function to be it's own Laplace transform.
Been discussed before:
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-180250.html
I don't think there is any F(s)=f(s) ... but I'd be hard pressed to prove it.
I agree in case of real function.
In case of complex function, there are many solutions. For example, one of them :

Attachments

• LaplaceI.JPG
    LaplaceI.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 534
Yike - well there you have it :)

olarBear, there is actually a function that equals its Laplace transform, known as the Dirac delta function (δ(t)). This function is defined as zero everywhere except at t=0, where it is infinitely tall and infinitely narrow, such that its area under the curve is equal to 1. Its Laplace transform is also equal to 1, and it is considered an eigenfunction of the Laplace transform with eigenvalue λ=1. However, it is important to note that the Dirac delta function is not a traditional function in the sense that it cannot be evaluated at any point except t=0. It is often used in mathematics and engineering as a convenient tool for representing impulsive phenomena, but it may not be applicable in all cases. I hope this helps answer your question.

Related to Is there a function that equals its Laplace transform?

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze systems and solve differential equations.

What is a function that equals its Laplace transform?

A function that equals its Laplace transform is called an eigenfunction. It is a special case where the Laplace transform of a function F(s) is equal to a scalar multiple of the original function F(s).

Why is finding a function that equals its Laplace transform important?

Finding an eigenfunction is important because it simplifies the analysis of systems, particularly in the time domain. It also allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to differential equations.

Is there a unique function that equals its Laplace transform?

Yes, there is a unique eigenfunction for every Laplace transform. However, in some cases, there may be multiple eigenfunctions that satisfy the same Laplace transform.

What are some common examples of functions that equal their Laplace transform?

Some common examples include exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and polynomial functions. These are often used in engineering and physics applications to model systems and solve differential equations.