Is there a free software to program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microconller?

In summary, an AVR programmer is needed to program the microcontroller on an ATMega168 or 328. It is possible to buy an Arduino board which does the same thing, or use an Eclipse development environment with an AVR plugin.
jstbyndjupitr
So, I'm trying to build a circuit to control 4 motors that will depend on the output from 3 gyros, I have the circuit all set with the components just having trouble programming the chip because i know that it can be programmed, can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.atmel.com/microsite/avr_studio_5/

However, you still need a programmer (like the AVRISP MkII) to transfer your program onto the micro. That or you can buy an Arduino board (about the same as the cost of the AVRISP) which allows you to upload programs via a bootloader (a special program on the micro which allows you to reprogram the micro via the serial interface).
http://www.arduino.cc/

Thanks for the reply matlabdude, I tried to check those links but they didnt work...

The links work fine for me--note that the "Downloads" section on the AVRStudio page is at the bottom right hand corner of the page, and requires (free) registration.

I use Eclipse with the AVR plugin to program my Atmega168 and 328s, I've tried AVR studio as well. I kind of wish I had gotten started using AVR studio instead, because using eclipse can be a really... really huge pain. However I really like the way eclipse can zip around to show definitions and macro expansions. Eclipse is free and buggy, but extremely powerful.

The Arduino IDE can also be used to develop ATMega168 code. If you are only interested in developing one specific application this might be a good idea since it bundles a standalone compiler, editor, examples, and drivers for the microcontroller's peripherals in a pretty user-friendly way. Arduino software is free. A physical arduino is not required.

I am a hobbyist so i try to do things on the cheap. It is possible to buy an ATMega from a website like SparkFun with the arduino bootloader on it, which enables serial programming, and then its pretty easy to program that chip as a programmer for additional chips purchased without a bootloader (this is carried out over the SPI port). You then need an FTDI chip to communicate via serial from the PC to the chip. If you have the means, its probably a better idea to just buy an AVR programmer for 30 bucks, be careful about driver installation though, since this is easy to mess up.

Related to Is there a free software to program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microconller?

1. Can I program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller for free?

Yes, there is free software available for programming an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller. Software such as Arduino IDE, AVR Studio, and Atmel Studio are popular options.

2. Are there any limitations to using free software for programming an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller?

There may be some limitations to using free software for programming, such as limited features or compatibility issues. It is important to research and choose the best software for your specific needs.

3. Do I need any special equipment to program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller with free software?

Yes, you will need a programmer or development board that is compatible with the chosen software. These can often be purchased at a reasonable cost or even built at home.

4. Can I use free software to program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller on any operating system?

Most free software for programming an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller is available for multiple operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, it is important to check the system requirements before downloading.

5. Are there any tutorials or guides available for using free software to program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller?

Yes, there are many tutorials and guides available online for using free software to program an Atmega 168-PU Atmel microcontroller. These can be found on websites, forums, and video platforms such as YouTube.