Is there a difference between kinetic energy and thermal energy?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, thermal energy is the energy associated with the motion of molecules, while kinetic energy is the energy of the object itself.
sameeralord
Quick question about definition of heat

Hello everyone,

Ok the definition of heat says it is the total kinetic energy due to random motion of molecules. My question is it really the total kinetic energy. For example I know in inelastic collision heat is released. So is thermal energy really heat released in inelastic collison of molecules. Also if there is a bunch of molecules in a container and they all had elastic collisions, would there be heat in the container. Thanks !

Edit: Oh I think I worked it out. Tell me if it is right. The total kinetic energy of individual particles in an object is thermal energy (This is what gives temperature). In inelastic collision heat is given off (which is like like loss of thermal energy because heat is energy transfer). Heat is given off when molecules collide with surrounding air and give some energy I think, this is for an example. In elastic collisions, the shape comes back to orginal shape, so no energy is lost. Also this definition from another website helped me.

Question: In detail, what is the difference between kinetic energy
and thermal energy?
marsh

Answer:
Kinetic energy is a general term describing the energy
associated with the motion of objects (large or small objects).
You can calculate the kinetic energy of an object of mass m
with a velocity (speed) v from the formula K.E. = 1/2 mv^2.
Thermal energy refers to the kinetic energy of the microscopic
particles (atoms and molecules) that make up all samples of matter
- i.e. all objects. When you add heat to an object, you increase
the temperature of the object (usually) and that heat increases
the kinetic energy of the molecules that comprise that object.
In fact, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy
of the microscopic particles that make up an object.
Hope this helps...
Dr. Brown

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Let's close this one.
[Mentor's Note: Because it's been 7 years since the OP posted it.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is there a difference between kinetic energy and thermal energy?

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another because of a difference in temperature. It is measured in units of joules.

2. How is heat created?

Heat is created through a variety of processes, such as chemical reactions, friction, and nuclear reactions. In everyday life, it is often created through the burning of fuels or the use of electrical appliances.

3. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are related but different concepts. Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the total energy of a substance, while temperature is a measure of how fast the particles are moving.

5. How does heat affect different materials differently?

Heat affects different materials differently because of their varying abilities to conduct, absorb, and reflect heat. Some materials, such as metals, are good conductors of heat and will quickly transfer heat throughout the material. Others, such as wood or plastic, are poor conductors and will retain heat in one spot. Additionally, different materials have different melting points, which can determine how much heat they can withstand before changing states.