Is there a decidable set theory?

In summary, there is an alternative Presburger's axiomatization of arithmetic that is decidable, but it is too weak to do ordinary arithmetic. Similarly, any inconsistent theory is decidable, but this does not answer the question of whether there is an alternative axiomatization of set theory that is decidable. The inability of a "reasonable" reasoning system (such as PA) to cast questions that it cannot answer can also be seen through the limitation of a recursive function that bounds the minimum proof-lengths for statements of a given length. However, it is not clear what this function would be for PA specifically.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The Godel theorem shows that the standard Peano axiomatization or arithmetic is undecidable. However, there is an alternative Presburger's axiomatization of arithmetic, which is decidable.

Similarly, the standard ZFC axiomatization of set theory is undecidable. For instance, the continuum hypothesis is undecidable in ZFC. Is there an alternative axiomatization of set theory which is decidable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Presburger's is decidable, but it is too weak to do ordinary arithmetic. I suspect that if it exists a decidable set theory would be too weak to do ordinary set theory.

By Presburger arithmetic you cannot state certain general theorems, but I think you can still do arithmetic in a practical sense. (For instance, you can compute concrete products such as ##2\times 6=12##. Any 7 year old kid can do it without knowing Peano axioms.) Perhaps something similar might be true with decidable set theory.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
While this does not answer the actual technical part of your question, it is probably of some (tangential) relevance (because of being related to decidability and proof length).

The somewhat trivial (and non-technical) observation is that consider all well-formed statements (that are suppose to have true or false values) of length n that can be formed in some "reasonable" reasoning system. Also suppose that all the well-formed statements are also decidable in the system (using some agreed and/or given rules of inference as part of the reasoning system).

For some statement S, suppose we define the minimum proof-length as the length of the shortest proof of S. Let T(n) denote the maximum value among the minimum proof-lengths for all statements of length n or less. Then T(n) has to be strictly bounded by some recursive function.

For example, think of example of Presburger arithmetic mentioned above. Then I am pretty sure there is a recursive function that would bound the minimum proof-lengths (as mentioned in previous paragraph) for a given length of statements cast in the system (as questions with truth values). And I would suspect that recursive function wouldn't really grow that much faster than much of elementary functions encountered in normal math (possibly hovering somewhere little above or below (more likely below) ackermann function).

So the inability of a "reasonable" reasoning system (PA should count I think because it can't answer some of its own questions) to cast questions that it itself can't answer can also be seen in this way ... The reasoning system should fail to prove certain statements of length n or less (that it can cast as questions) because it would completely stop proving "any" statement of length n or less after f(n) number of steps (where f is some recursive function). I don't have any good idea what that function would be for PA though.

SSequence said:
So the inability of a "reasonable" reasoning system (PA should count I think because it can't answer some of its own questions) to cast questions that it itself can't answer can also be seen in this way ... The reasoning system should fail to prove certain statements of length n or less (that it can cast as questions) because it would completely stop proving "any" statement of length n or less after f(n) number of steps (where f is some recursive function). I don't have any good idea what that function would be for PA though.
Sorry I think this particular part can't be assumed beforehand (under the more generic assumption of theorems being recursively enumerable).

Related to Is there a decidable set theory?

What is a decidable set theory?

A decidable set theory is a mathematical system that allows for the construction and manipulation of sets of objects in a consistent and logical manner. It is considered "decidable" if there exists an algorithm that can determine whether a given statement about sets is true or false within the theory.

How does a decidable set theory differ from an undecidable set theory?

An undecidable set theory is one in which there is no algorithm that can determine the truth or falsity of all statements within the theory. This means that some statements may be undecidable, meaning their truth or falsity cannot be determined within the theory itself. In contrast, a decidable set theory allows for the determination of truth or falsity for all statements within the theory.

What are some examples of decidable set theories?

One example of a decidable set theory is Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory (ZFC), which is the most commonly used set theory in mathematics. Another example is the von Neumann-Bernays-Gödel set theory (NBG), which is a stronger version of ZFC.

Can a decidable set theory be used to prove all mathematical statements?

No, a decidable set theory is limited by Gödel's incompleteness theorems, which state that there are statements that are true but cannot be proven within the theory. This means that there will always be some mathematical statements that cannot be proven within a decidable set theory.

Why is the question of whether a set theory is decidable important?

The question of decidable set theories is important because it affects the foundations of mathematics and the development of mathematical logic. A decidable set theory allows for the determination of truth or falsity for all statements within the theory, which is essential for the consistency and coherence of mathematical reasoning. It also has implications for computer science and artificial intelligence, as decidable set theories can be used to develop algorithms and decision-making processes.