Is the Voltage Too Low for MSP430 Programming?

• Thread starter Lagomorph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tools
In summary, you need to find a way to load a program onto an MSP430F2131 that's on a header board using TI's USB to JTAG interface. The software can't detect the interface if it's connected with TI's USB-IF.
Lagomorph
Hi,
I have an MSP430 USB interface that comes with the MSP-FET430UIF and a JTAG MSP430F2131 header board. Problem is, I have no idea how to load the program onto the MCU that's on the header board through the JTAG connector. I have the IAR Embedded Workbench KickStart software and I haven't been able to find a way to use that with the header board.

What software would I need to load a program onto the MCU that's on the header board using TI's USB to JTAG interface that I have right now?

It would be excellent if this software was free.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
when you pull the stick apart their should be some open vias, that is the interface, havin't read the documentation in a while as all I've done with mine is make the led flash at a different speed lol. docs are on the kickstart cd.

on second look it's seems that you can take off the usb part and connect it sideways.

http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1298

Last edited:
To be more specific, here is what I have:

http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1298
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/msp-fet430u28.html

The picture of the USB interface that I have is here:
http://www1.conrad.de/xl/1000_1999/1700/1700/1702/170258_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

So I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Are you talking about TI's MSP430 USB Stick Development Tool (EZ430)? The programming interface has a JTAG connector going out, so I don't have any physical connection issues. I just need to find a way (software) to load it onto the MCU on the header board above.

select the j-link option in kickstart.

if that's not what you mean then i guess you'll need your uc data sheet, a good understanding of asm in kickstart and a copy of ieee 1149, good luck :D

light_bulb said:
select the j-link option in kickstart.

if that's not what you mean then i guess you'll need your uc data sheet, a good understanding of asm in kickstart and a copy of ieee 1149, good luck :D

I think the reason that doesn't work is beacuse I have a TI USB-IF and not a J-Link, so if I select J-Link as the connection type, the software can't detect it.

What about something like this? Would this work?
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=606

I mean... all I want to do is load a program onto an MSP430F2131 that's on a header board. Isn't this a common thing to do? Shouldn't it be fairly simple?

got me, you can't go low level and get simple.

So I figured that it might be a power issue, so instead of powering the board through the JTAG connector (which dicumentation says I can do), I decided to apply external power. So I connected the P_OUT jumper and powered the board by appying 3V (2 brand new C's) and then tried going into debug mode in IAR.

I got the following message:
"External voltage too low: 1.1V".

I tested the voltage at the Vcc of the MCU and it was 3V. I tested the voltage at the JTAG connector Vcc_OUT and that was also 3V with or without the interface connected. The notes of the Olimex F2131 say that the voltage of the debugger should follow the power supply of the board, so why would it be reading it as 1.1V?

Related to Is the Voltage Too Low for MSP430 Programming?

1. What is the MSP430 microcontroller?

The MSP430 is a 16-bit microcontroller developed by Texas Instruments. It is known for its low power consumption and is commonly used in battery-powered applications.

2. What are MSP430 development tools?

MSP430 development tools are a set of software and hardware tools used for developing, debugging, and programming applications for the MSP430 microcontroller. These tools include IDEs, debuggers, compilers, and programmers.

3. What is an IDE?

IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. It is a software application that provides a complete set of tools for writing, debugging, and testing code. In the context of MSP430 development, IDEs are used to create and edit code for the microcontroller.

4. What is a debugger?

A debugger is a tool used for finding and fixing errors in code. It allows developers to step through their code and see the values of variables at different points in the program. In MSP430 development, debuggers are used to troubleshoot code and ensure proper functionality.

5. Can MSP430 development tools be used for other microcontrollers?

While MSP430 development tools are specifically designed for use with the MSP430 microcontroller, some vendors may offer cross-platform support for other microcontrollers. It is always best to check with the specific tool vendor for compatibility with other microcontrollers.