Is the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group unitary?

In summary, the Lorentz group does not have a unitary representation of finite dimension, except for the trivial representation. The vector representation, which has a dimension of 4, is the only exception. This is due to the non-compact nature of the Lorentz group, as proven in Cornwell's compendium.
IRobot
I am 99% sure it is not, but I would like to hear that from someone else to be more serene.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks I already was thinking with that argument, I did the calculation of [itex] \Lambda \Lambda ^\dagger[/itex] for some random Lorentz Matrix. Was just looking for a confirmation.

Last edited:
It's because the Lorentz group (or its component connected to the identity) is non-compact. It's a classical result, a proof of which can be found in Cornwell's compendium.

Related to Is the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group unitary?

1. What is the Lorentzian Group and what does it represent?

The Lorentzian Group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of spacetime in special relativity. It represents the transformations that preserve the speed of light in all inertial reference frames.

2. What is a vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group?

A vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group is a way of expressing the group's transformations using matrices. These matrices can be used to perform calculations and manipulate vectors in a way that is consistent with the group's symmetries.

3. Is the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group unitary?

Yes, the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group is unitary. This means that the matrices used to represent the group's transformations are unitary matrices, which preserve the inner product of vectors and preserve their lengths.

4. What are the implications of the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group being unitary?

The fact that the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group is unitary has important implications in the understanding of special relativity and its mathematical framework. It allows for the consistent manipulation of vectors and tensors in a way that is consistent with the underlying symmetries of spacetime.

5. How is the vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group used in physics?

The vectorial representation of the Lorentzian Group is used extensively in physics, particularly in the fields of special relativity and quantum field theory. It is used to describe the transformations of particles and fields in spacetime, and is a fundamental tool for understanding the symmetries of the universe.