Is the Universe's History Governed by Macroscopic Superposition?

In summary, the current understanding of the possibility of the nature of macroscopic superposition of possible histories of the universe is still a topic of debate and research. While we are aware of superposition at the quantum level and can observe macroscopic superpositions under certain conditions, there is still uncertainty about the extent of macroscopic superpositions in the history of the universe. There are also ongoing discussions and debates about the measurement problem and the role of decoherence in resolving it. However, it is generally believed that the issue of decoherence has been resolved and is considered to be a key factor in understanding when a measurement has occurred. Overall, the concept of macroscopic superposition and its implications for our understanding of the universe continue to be a complex and intriguing
craigi
What is the current understanding of the possibility of the nature of macroscopic superpositon of possible histories of the universe?

Hopefully, I've worded that unambiguously, but I'll try to clarify it.

I've never seen a discussion on this and I'm not entirely sure why.

We're aware of superpositon of states at the quantum level and we're aware of being able to carefully prepare superposed macroscopic states when sufficiently isolated from their environment. When we talk about this isolation, it must be entirely probablistic, instead of being anything definitive, since wave fuctions inevitably cannot be entirely contained.

I think the natural intuitive understanding, or perhaps given to us from the Copenhagen interpretation, is that the universe progresses on a classical level with individual particles moving from definite state to definite state, when they interact in some what that we deem to be a measurement. As I understand it, under this model, we're unsure as to what actually constitutes a measurement and have made little progress either on a theoretical level or on an experimental level in understanding what the process of making a measurement actually is.

So back to my question. We're aware of the possibilities of macroscopic superposition, but can we know anything about to what extent macroscopic superpositions exist for the history of the universe? Do we have any reason to believe that superpositions must be either very small in scale or very rare? Can we presume that the universe must largely progress according to our intuitive classical understanding or could there be effects that we find difficult to accept because they don't fit this world view?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might be interested in this paper: http://vcq.quantum.at/research/research-groups/brukner-group/news/details/386.html

Not sure if that helps in any way, however.

Thanks. That is useful and it does seem to confirm my suspicion that causality as we naturally see it is, at best, an approximation.

I suspect that what they have observed actually manifests itself on much larger scales but we're still blinkered to it by forcing a classical causality onto quantum physics.

craigi said:
As I understand it, under this model, we're unsure as to what actually constitutes a measurement and have made little progress either on a theoretical level or on an experimental level in understanding what the process of making a measurement actually is.

We know when a measurement has occurred - its when decoherence has singled out a basis and its now in an improper mixed state - that's basically the modern view of measurement. For example a few stray photons from the CBR is enough to decohere a dust particle and give it a 'definite' position.

The issue is the details haven't been worked out in full generality and we have stuff like the so called factoring problem.

But most (most - but not all) physicists believe that issue has been resolved - others remain - but that one is no longer a problem.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
We know when a measurement has occurred - its when decoherence has singled out a basis and its now in an improper mixed state - that's basically the modern view of measurement. For example a few stray photons from the CBR is enough to decohere a dust particle and give it a 'definite' position.

The issue is the details haven't been worked out in full generality and we have stuff like the so called factoring problem.

But most (most - but not all) physicists believe that issue has been resolved - others remain - but that one is no longer a problem.

Thanks
Bill

It is my understanding that the idea that decoherence solves the measurement problem under a Copenhagen interpretation is just a misnomer. What it actually answers is the question of why we don't find quantum behaviour more frequently in macroscopic systems but has nothing to contribute on how or indeed whether a wavefunction actually collapses under observation.

Last edited:
craigi said:
It is my understanding that the idea that decoherence solves the measurement problem under a Copenhagen interpretation is just a misnomer. What it actually answers is the question of why we don't find quantum behaviour more frequently in macroscopic systems but has nothing to contribute on how or indeed whether a wavefunction actually collapses under observation.

I am not going to discuss what decoherence does or does not do - it gets far too heated for my liking. Check out:
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5439/1/Decoherence_Essay_arXiv_version.pdf

But I wasn't talking about the measurement problem - I was talking about when you can consider a measurement has occurred - that's part of the measurement problem - but it also has other aspects. It is considered by many to solve the preferred basis problem (which is roughly what is meant by when a measurement has occurred) but does not solve the collapse issue to everyone's satisfaction nor does it solve the issue of why we have outcomes at all.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Is the Universe's History Governed by Macroscopic Superposition?

1. What is the superposition of histories?

The superposition of histories is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. This means that a particle can have many different histories or paths, and all of these possible histories exist simultaneously until observed or measured.

2. How does the superposition of histories work?

The superposition of histories is based on the principle of quantum superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations until observed. This means that a particle can have many possible paths or histories, and all of these possibilities exist simultaneously until observed or measured. When observed, the particle will take on a definite state or location.

3. What is the significance of the superposition of histories?

The superposition of histories is significant because it challenges our understanding of reality. It suggests that the world we experience is not as definite or deterministic as we think, and that there are many possible outcomes or versions of events. This has implications for our understanding of time, causality, and the nature of reality itself.

4. Can we observe the superposition of histories?

No, we cannot observe the superposition of histories directly. The superposition of histories is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics and cannot be observed in our everyday lives. However, we can observe the effects of superposition in experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, where particles exhibit wave-like behavior and exist in multiple states simultaneously.

5. How is the superposition of histories relevant to technology and everyday life?

The superposition of histories is relevant to technology and everyday life because it is the basis for many modern technologies, such as computer processors and GPS systems. It also has implications for future technologies, such as quantum computing and teleportation. Additionally, understanding the superposition of histories can help us develop a deeper understanding of the world and our place in it.