Is the Universe discrete or continuous?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the compatibility of the continuousness of spacetime in General Relativity with the discreteness of matter. The experts explain that discreteness of matter does not imply discreteness of space and that the assumption of incompatibility is incorrect. They also mention that current physical theories use a mathematical framework that allows for discrete matter and continuous space. The possibility of formulating physics in a discrete spacetime is discussed but it is not required or implied by the discreteness of matter. The experts also address a specific scenario where the diagonal measurement of a square may not align with the discrete units of space, but explain that this is due to rulers being continuous mathematical objects and not necessarily indicative of a discrete spacetime.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Apologies if this question has been asked already. I've been given resources to help me understand, but it's been hard for me to wrap my head around the answer and, for that matter, it is difficult to understand a text when you have to look up every other word (an exaggeration, but you know ... ). I've been taught that General Relativity says that the universe is continuous. How is that so if the universe is made up of matter, which is discrete?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In principle two discrete objects can be located a continuous range of distances apart from each other. So discreteness of matter does not imply discreteness of space.

Dale said:
In principle two discrete objects can be located a continuous range of distances apart from each other. So discreteness of matter does not imply discreteness of space.
But continuity of space can't be proven, doesn't it? So discreteness of space could be possible?

fresh_42 said:
But continuity of space can't be proven, doesn't it? So discreteness of space could be possible?
Which is one thing that makes me confused ...

I am ignorant too. That said I believe your premise that the universe is made of matter is incorrect. It contains matter.

Discreteness of matter doesn't prove discreteness of spacetime, as @Dale says. General relativity models spacetime as a differentiable manifold - the differentiability implies continuity not discreteness.

However, it's only a model and it doesn't work right in some circumstances, for example where quantum effects are important in the source term (i.e., what's the gravitational field of an electron at 0.01nm from it?). So we expect it to be superceded by a quantum theory of gravity. That may imply a discretisation of spacetime (not just space) or it may not. I gather that at least some of our current candidates do discretise spacetime, but we don't really have any evidence either way yet.

Likes Dale
fresh_42 said:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Which is one thing that makes me confused ...
But that is a different question from what was asked in the OP.

The question asked in the OP is how is the continuousness of spacetime in GR (spacetime is modeled as a smooth pseudo Riemannian manifold) compatible with the observed discreteness of matter (matter is modeled as quantized excitations of fields)? The answer is simply to point out that the assumption of incompatibility is wrong. It is perfectly possible to have discrete matter and continuous space, and in fact this is the mathematical framework used in all current physical theories.

Whether or not it is possible to formulate physics in a discrete spacetime is a different question which is not required nor implied by the discreteness of matter.

How would it even be possible to have discrete space, hence "space pixels" in a sense, and yet measure the diagonal of a square to be √d2+d2 , d being its edge length?

It seems impossible to model such a discrete space where if you were to walk an imagined square from bottom left to top right in two different ways,

1) bottom left -> bottom right -> top right
2) bottom left then diagonally to top right

you would measure about the same lengths we get within the "physical world" we live in. The amount of "space pixels" or discrete units you would move(jump) to, would not correspond or even be close to √d2+d2 with d being the edge/side length of the square, if you were to traverse the square diagonally as in case 2).

Well, at least i cannot imagine how this would be possible. Maybe my imagination just fails me.

Last edited:
To put the above differently. Imagine a big cube. Now form some other 3 dimensional objects you consider to be your indivisible unit of space or "space pixel" .

How could you possibly arrange your space units inside this cube, such that you would end up traversing roughly d√3 units of space when moving diagonally from one corner to the other, whereas if you moved to the same endpoint by walking the edges of the cube, you would end up with roughly 3*d units as you do in the real world?

edit: Also keep in mind that any of those units of space you filled the cube with, would have to be capable of acting as the corner of another imagined cube subject to the same rules above.

Last edited:
Jeronimus said:
To put the above differently. Imagine a big cube. Now form some other 3 dimensional objects you consider to be your indivisible unit of space or "space pixel" .

How could you possibly arrange your space units inside this cube, such that you would end up traversing roughly d√3 units of space when moving diagonally from one corner to the other, whereas if you moved to the same endpoint by walking the edges of the cube, you would end up with roughly 3*d units as you do in the real world?

edit: Also keep in mind that any of those units of space you filled the cube with, would have to be capable of acting as the corner of another imagined cube subject to the same rules above.
You are assuming space is discrete, but rulers are continuous mathematical objects. If the ruler is also discrete at the same fundamental level as spactime (or larger, since it is matter), then it cannot probe your hypothetical microsquare boundaries. Instead it would effectively count the number of micro-squares diagaonally versus horizontally, coming up with the same answer as the continuous model to any achievable precision (assuming the discretiztion is very small).

Note, I am not arguing that spactime is discrete, just that it far from trivial to experimentally determine. (I've heard nasty rumours from spacetime that make me think it is not discrete :-p; [stolen from a science fiction story that had one scientist stating space is discrete and time is particular; the listener responded "how very nice of them"]).

PAllen said:
You are assuming space is discrete, but rulers are continuous mathematical objects. If the ruler is also discrete at the same fundamental level as spactime (or larger, since it is matter), then it cannot probe your hypothetical microsquare boundaries. Instead it would effectively count the number of micro-squares diagaonally versus horizontally, coming up with the same answer as the continuous model to any achievable precision (assuming the discretiztion is very small).

Forgive my ignorance but i really cannot wrap my mind around that. I would love to assume that both space and the ruler are discrete but i cannot see how i would program a 3D game for example in which both the space is discrete AND the ruler is discrete, and then when i move the ruler to measure a discrete square inside my discrete world i would end up with the diagonal being roughly d√2 (given a sufficiently large square made up of a lot of space units).
How would i model such a world inside my computer?

edit: For example, i could not simply program a 3D world made up of tiny cubes in a standard grid, my ruler is also made of and then place my ruler diagonally inside a larger cube or square.
To measure the length, i would have to measure the cubes or squares the ruler occupies until it reaches the opposing corner.
Never mind the problem of it being impossible to define what walking diagonally in discrete steps within this micro-cube/square world would mean, the ruler could never possibly occupy d√2 squares or d√3 micro-cubes no matter how i would define walking diagonally.
If for example i defined it as moving one square to the right, then up, then right and up again and so on... i would end up with the ruler measuring 2d instead of d√2. If i defined it as moving to the next microcube which is diagonal, i would end up with just d.

So you are telling me that there is actually a mathematical model i cannot think of, which solves those issues.

Last edited:
Jeronimus said:
So you are telling me that there is actually a mathematical model i cannot think of, which solves those issues.
Yes, and it is really very simple. First, there are no 1d or 2d objects in the real world only 3d. And 3d objects and 3d space both consist of volume elements. For the simplicity, assume all fundamental volume elements are spherical. Then rectangle 3X4 units has 3 spheres by 4 spheres with diagonal of 5 spheres. The way you measure it is with a ruler consisting of a chain fundamental spheres. 5 ruler spheres ruler matches 5 sphere diagonal.

There are full blown sophisticated models of this that are much more realistic. Some overly simplistic models of this type have been ruled out by experiment, but most have not. Neither have they been supported by experiment. But your objections are certainly not the issue.

Likes Dale
This is now getting into "beyond the standard model" territory. With that excellent reply, this thread is closed.

Related to Is the Universe discrete or continuous?

1. Is the Universe made up of individual, discrete particles or is it a continuous, smooth fabric?

This question has been debated by scientists for centuries. Currently, the prevailing theory is that the Universe is a combination of both discrete particles and continuous fields. Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while general relativity explains the large-scale structure of the Universe as a continuous spacetime fabric.

2. Which theory, discrete or continuous, better explains the behavior of matter and energy in the Universe?

Both theories have been successful in explaining different aspects of our physical world. Discrete theories, such as quantum mechanics, accurately describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. On the other hand, continuous theories, like general relativity, have been successful in explaining the large-scale structure of the Universe. It is believed that a unified theory that combines both discrete and continuous elements will provide a more complete understanding of the Universe.

3. How can we test whether the Universe is discrete or continuous?

Scientists use a variety of methods to test different aspects of the Universe. For example, particle accelerators can be used to study the behavior of subatomic particles and confirm the predictions of discrete theories. Gravitational lensing and other astronomical observations can provide evidence for the continuous nature of spacetime. Additionally, scientists are constantly developing new theories and experiments to further our understanding of the Universe.

4. Are there any potential consequences of the Universe being discrete or continuous?

If the Universe is found to be discrete, it would have significant implications for our understanding of reality. It would mean that the fundamental building blocks of the Universe are not continuous, but rather made up of individual, quantized particles. On the other hand, if the Universe is continuous, it would confirm the idea of a smooth, interconnected fabric of spacetime. Either way, the discovery of the true nature of the Universe would have a profound impact on our understanding of the physical world.

5. Is there a possibility that the Universe is a combination of both discrete and continuous elements?

Yes, many scientists believe that this is the case. As mentioned before, both discrete and continuous theories have been successful in explaining different aspects of the Universe. It is likely that a unified theory will incorporate elements of both theories to provide a more complete understanding of the Universe. This is an active area of research and new discoveries are continually being made.