Is the Universe a Black Hole? - Comments

In summary, the original PF Insights post discusses the question of whether the universe could be considered a black hole. The post was written by Multiple_Authors, who has expressed a request to stop recycling old posts as Insights blog posts. The post also includes a link to a previous discussion thread and a paper on the subject written by one of the authors. In response to the post, a reader asks for clarification on a point about the singularity, which the author confirms and suggests that the wording of the article may have been confusing.
Multiple_Authors
Multiple_Authors submitted a new PF Insights post

Is the Universe a Black Hole?

blackholesuniverse-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Stephanus
Space news on Phys.org
I've previously requested that Greg stop recycling my old posts as Insights blog posts. It suggests that I'm interested in the Insights blog, which I'm not. Also, it makes me feel as though I'm obliged to respond to a flurry of new discussion on some post that I wrote years ago and that was discussed then. Although this post has multiple authors, I basically wrote it. I've repeated my request to Greg that he stop doing this.

Nice summary, and it's something I'd like to point people at when this question comes up in other forums. Before doing that, can I just check one point which surprises me, I think I'm mis-reading it perhaps:

"The singularity is a point at which the world-lines only extend a finite amount of time into the future."​

I thought the singularity was where world-lines finished and that they only extend a finite amount of time into the future from the event horizon before reaching the singularity? Some clarification would help me here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/universe-black-hole/

GeorgeDishman said:
I thought the singularity was where world-lines finished and that they only extend a finite amount of time into the future from the event horizon before reaching the singularity?

This is correct, and I think it is the same thing that the article was trying to say (though the wording was apparently somewhat confusing).

Likes GeorgeDishman
Would it be possible for someone to clarify that sentence?

Related to Is the Universe a Black Hole? - Comments

1. Is it possible for the entire universe to be a black hole?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the entire universe is a black hole. While some theories have been proposed, they are still highly debated and not widely accepted.

2. What evidence supports the idea that the universe might be a black hole?

One piece of evidence is the observation of dark energy, which is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. This energy has properties that are similar to the negative pressure inside a black hole.

3. Can black holes be created on a cosmic scale?

While it is possible for black holes to be formed on a cosmic scale, it is unlikely that the entire universe is a black hole. Black holes are formed when massive stars collapse, and the universe as a whole does not have enough mass to create a black hole on its own.

4. How would the universe being a black hole affect us?

If the universe was a black hole, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. However, since there is no evidence to support this idea, it is unlikely to have any direct effects on our daily lives.

5. Can we ever know for sure if the universe is a black hole?

As our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, it is possible that we may one day have enough evidence to conclusively determine if the universe is a black hole. However, for now, it remains a highly debated and speculative topic in the scientific community.