Is the transfer of energy in hydraulics truly instant?

In summary: Thanks for the input! :)In summary, this user and another user theorized that the energy transfer in hydraulics from one point to another is instant. However, this is not the case. The energy transfer will travel at the speed of sound in the pole, much slower than the speed of light.
Helios223
Hello,

This is my first ever post in an entirely science-dedicated forum. On another forum, another user and I theorized that the energy transfer in hydraulics from one point to another is instant. He initially posted about electricity being instant because electrons move at the same speed throughout a metal, and together we came up with this question:

If I managed to make a pole one light-year long, and I pull on one end of this pole, would a friend standing at the other end of the pole experience this same movement instantly, or would there be a one-year delay?

It's baffled me, and I was wondering if any of you wonderful people could shed some light on this question. :biggrin:

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neither hydraulic impulse nor electricity travel "instantly".

If I managed to make a pole one light-year long, and I pull on one end of this pole, would a friend standing at the other end of the pole experience this same movement instantly, or would there be a one-year delay?
The effect of the pull would travel at the speed of sound in the pole, much slower than the speed of light--definitely not instantly!

For a mechanical pole yank, the force propagates at the speed of sound in the material of the pole. Similarly for hydraulics.

For electricity propagating on wires, the impulse travels at a fraction of the speed of light -- the fraction depends on some of the characteristics of the insulators around the wire, etc.

Nothing is instantaneous. You and your friend should stop speculating and do some reading. Welcome to the PF, BTW. Be sure that you've read and understood the PF Guidelines before getting too crazy with more posts:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Thank you Doc! :)

You seem very certain about it being the speed of sound. Does this not mean the the pole will be longer for part of the energy transfer?

Berke, thank you for the link. I will be sure to follow the guidelines. I will do further reading about forces, and thanks for your welcome!

Last edited:
Helios223 said:
Does this not mean the the pole will be longer for part of the energy transfer?
Absolutely... it will stretch a bit.

Doc Al said:
Absolutely... it will stretch a bit.

Ah, that makes this much clearer. It seems I need to research these theories more before I jump to conclusions.

Related to Is the transfer of energy in hydraulics truly instant?

1. What is Instant Information Travel?

Instant Information Travel is a hypothetical concept where information can be transported instantly from one location to another, without the need for physical transportation or communication methods such as wires or satellites. It is often compared to the concept of teleportation, but instead of physical objects, information is being moved.

2. How does Instant Information Travel work?

The exact mechanism of Instant Information Travel is still unknown and purely theoretical. Some scientists believe that it could be achieved through quantum entanglement, where particles are linked together regardless of distance, allowing for instantaneous communication between them. Others suggest using advanced computer algorithms and artificial intelligence to transmit and receive information at incredible speeds.

3. What are the potential benefits of Instant Information Travel?

If successfully developed, Instant Information Travel could revolutionize the way we communicate and access information. It could greatly improve global communication and collaboration, as well as speed up processes in various fields such as research, business, and healthcare. It could also potentially reduce the need for physical transportation, leading to less pollution and congestion.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to Instant Information Travel?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks and ethical concerns that need to be addressed. One major concern is the security and privacy of the transmitted information. There is also the possibility of information being corrupted or altered during the transfer process. Additionally, the development and implementation of Instant Information Travel could also lead to job displacement and unequal access to the technology.

5. Is Instant Information Travel currently possible?

At this time, Instant Information Travel is only a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. While there have been some successful experiments in quantum entanglement and high-speed data transfer, there are still many technological and scientific challenges that need to be overcome before Instant Information Travel can become a reality.