Is the Supremum of the Sum of Two Sets Equal to the Sum of their Suprema?

• MHB
  • Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
In summary, we have proven that the relation among $\sup A$, $\sup B$, and $\sup C$ is $\sup C=\sup A+\sup B$.
alexmahone
Let $A$ and $B$ be sets of real numbers and write $$C=\{x+y:x\in A,y\in B\}.$$ Find a relation among $\sup A$, $\sup B$, and $\sup C$.

My attempt:

I'm assuming the answer is $\sup C=\sup A+\sup B$.

$x\le \sup A\ \forall x\in A$
$y\le \sup B\ \forall y\in B$
$\implies x+y\le \sup A+\sup B$ $\forall x\in A,\ y\in B$

So, $\sup A+\sup B$ is an upper bound for $C$.

Suppose $\sup C\neq\sup A+\sup B$.

$\implies \exists l<\sup A+\sup B$ such that $x+y\le l$ $\forall x\in A,\ y\in B$

$\implies x\le l-y\ \forall x\in A,\ y\in B$

So, $l-y$ is an upper bound of $A\ \forall y\in B$

I feel that I'm on the right track but I don't know how to get a contradiction. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Prove that $\sup A+\sup B-\varepsilon$ is not an upper bound of $C$ for any $\varepsilon>0$. For this find a $c\in C$ such that $c>\sup A+\sup B-\varepsilon$.

To get a contradiction, we can use the fact that $\sup A$ and $\sup B$ are the least upper bounds for $A$ and $B$, respectively. This means that for any $\epsilon>0$, there exists $x\in A$ and $y\in B$ such that $\sup A-\epsilon<x$ and $\sup B-\epsilon<y$.

Now, if $\sup C<\sup A+\sup B$, then we can choose $\epsilon$ small enough such that $\sup A-\epsilon<x$ and $\sup B-\epsilon<y$, which would mean that $x+y<\sup A+\sup B$. This contradicts the assumption that $x+y\leq \sup A+\sup B$ for all $x\in A$ and $y\in B$. Therefore, $\sup C\geq \sup A+\sup B$.

On the other hand, if $\sup C>\sup A+\sup B$, then there exists $z\in C$ such that $z>\sup A+\sup B$. Since $z=x+y$ for some $x\in A$ and $y\in B$, we have $x+y>\sup A+\sup B$. This means that either $x>\sup A$ or $y>\sup B$. But this is a contradiction since $\sup A$ and $\sup B$ are the least upper bounds for $A$ and $B$, respectively. Therefore, $\sup C\leq \sup A+\sup B$.

Combining the two inequalities, we get $\sup A+\sup B\leq \sup C\leq \sup A+\sup B$, which implies $\sup C=\sup A+\sup B$. This completes the proof.

Related to Is the Supremum of the Sum of Two Sets Equal to the Sum of their Suprema?

1. What does "sup" stand for in the equation "Sup C = sup A + sup B"?

"Sup" stands for "supremum", which is a mathematical term for the least upper bound of a set. In this equation, it represents the maximum value of a set.

2. What is the purpose of the equation "Sup C = sup A + sup B"?

The equation is used to find the maximum value of a set C by adding the maximum values of two other sets, A and B.

3. What happens if one of the sets A or B is empty?

If one of the sets A or B is empty, the equation becomes "Sup C = sup C + 0", which means the maximum value of set C remains unchanged.

4. Can the equation "Sup C = sup A + sup B" be applied to infinite sets?

Yes, the equation can be applied to infinite sets as long as they have a well-defined maximum value.

5. Is the equation "Sup C = sup A + sup B" valid for all types of sets?

Yes, the equation is valid for all types of sets, including finite, infinite, and uncountable sets.