Is the Sun's Surface Actually Solid and Electrically Conductive?

In summary, the conversation is about a theory that suggests the sun has a solid, electrically conductive surface underneath the photosphere, supported by evidence from satellite programs and a personal website. The speaker is looking for scientific feedback, specifically from skeptics, and provides a link to a forum where the theory is discussed. There is also a comment about the high surface temperature of the sun making it unlikely for it to have a solid surface.
Michael Mozina
I believe that I have compiled compelling evidence from the TRACE, SOHO and YOHKOH satellite programs to suggest that the sun has a solid, electrically conductive surface that lies underneath the photosphere.

You can find my website with lots of video and photographic evidence to support this theory at:

http://www.thesurfaceofthesun.com

I would appreciate any SCIENTIFIC feedback, specifically skeptical feedback to the model I've presented. Please limit your feedback to a SCIENTIFIC refute rather than attacking the messenger.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a quicker description of what michael thinks, you can also reference http://www.christianforums.com/t1699184-the-surface-of-the-sun.html.

He believes the sun has a solid surface made up of calcium ferrite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that the surface temperature is around 6000 deg C and it gets hotter as you go down, anything solid seems extremely unlikely.

mathman said:
Considering that the surface temperature is around 6000 deg C and it gets hotter as you go down, anything solid seems extremely unlikely.
6000°C is above the boiling point of all the elements and any know material we have on earth.

Related to Is the Sun's Surface Actually Solid and Electrically Conductive?

1. Is the Sun's surface actually solid?

No, the Sun's surface is not solid. It is made up of hot gases and plasma, which are in a constant state of motion and do not have a defined shape or structure.

2. Is the Sun's surface electrically conductive?

Yes, the Sun's surface is electrically conductive. The high temperatures and ionization of the gases and plasma allow for the flow of electric current.

3. How do scientists study the Sun's surface?

Scientists study the Sun's surface through a variety of methods, including telescopes that can view the Sun in different wavelengths of light, spacecraft that can take close-up images and measurements, and mathematical models and simulations.

4. What is the role of the Sun's surface in solar activity?

The Sun's surface is the source of all solar activity. The constant movement and interaction of the gases and plasma on the surface create the Sun's magnetic field, which is responsible for phenomena such as sunspots, solar flares, and coronal mass ejections.

5. Could the Sun's surface ever solidify?

No, the Sun's surface will never solidify. The extreme temperatures and intense gravitational pull will always keep the gases and plasma in a constant state of motion, preventing them from forming a solid surface.