Is the sum of all primes = 13?

• Thread starter ClaytonB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes Sum
In summary: The conversation is about a series that seems to be divergent but can actually be given a finite value through a different definition of summation. This approach is similar to the way the Riemann zeta function is defined and its value can be extended to a larger region through analytic continuation. In summary, the conversation discusses the potential summability of a seemingly divergent series and the use of analytic continuation to extend its value.
ClaytonB
I posted this to Dr. Math but I'm too excited to wait for their response.

OK, so start with the following equation, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_…#Summability" by Ramanujan and Euler:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... = -1/12

Weird, yes, but there are http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/PAdicValuation.html" under which these kinds of expressions are meaningful.

OK, so let's call the series s:

s = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + ...

Now, we can gather all multiples of 2 into one term:

s = 1 + 2s + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + ...

Similarly, we can gather all multiples of 3:

s = 1 + 2s + 3s + 5 + 7 + 11 + ...

Continue sieving this way in a manner similar to Eratosthenes until you have:

s = 1 + s * ( sum{all primes p} p )

Rearranging:

(s - 1) / s = sum{all primes p} p

But since we already know the value of s = -1/12:

(-13/12) / (-1/12) = sum{all primes p} p

sum{all primes p} p = 13

QED

I see no flaw in my reasoning.

Clayton

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
ClaytonB said:
I see no flaw in my reasoning.
You are adding numbers such as 6 and 15 twice, numbers such as 30 and 1001 three times, etc.

D H said:
You are adding numbers such as 6 and 15 twice, numbers such as 30 and 1001 three times, etc.

Crap. Oh well, so much for that.

p-Adic valuations don't help with a series like this. You need some sort of alternate definition of summation.

One rather typical way to give meaning to the sum of all primes is to consider the function

[tex]f(s) = \sum_p p^s[/tex]​

The relevant facts I expect to be true are that this sum is well-defined and analytic for all complex s with Re(s) < -1.

Then, you use analytic continuation to extend it to as much of the complex plane as possible. With luck, it might even be a single-valued function!

(If you sum over all positive integers instead of just the primes, you get, more or less, the Riemann Zeta function)

Hurkyl said:
p-Adic valuations don't help with a series like this. You need some sort of alternate definition of summation.

One rather typical way to give meaning to the sum of all primes is to consider the function

[tex]f(s) = \sum_p p^s[/tex]​

The relevant facts I expect to be true are that this sum is well-defined and analytic for all complex s with Re(s) < -1.

Then, you use analytic continuation to extend it to as much of the complex plane as possible. With luck, it might even be a single-valued function!

(If you sum over all positive integers instead of just the primes, you get, more or less, the Riemann Zeta function)

How come this doesn't diverge, even though s is complex? If Im(s) = 0, then it seems like it must be divergent.

ClaytonB said:
How come this doesn't diverge, even though s is complex? If Im(s) = 0, then it seems like it must be divergent.

It does diverge. The series requires Re(s) < -1 (for the Riemann zeta function, at least). For Re(s) > 1, analytic continuation is required, and the sum does not represent the function for the analytically continued region (although sometimes people speak as though the sum evaluates to the value given by the analytic continuation of the function).

Mute said:
It does diverge. The series requires Re(s) < -1 (for the Riemann zeta function, at least). For Re(s) > 1, analytic continuation is required, and the sum does not represent the function for the analytically continued region (although sometimes people speak as though the sum evaluates to the value given by the analytic continuation of the function).

Ah, I get it, when Re(s) < -1, it satisfies the criterion for convergence of the Riemann zeta function - yes, this is not the zeta function but I can see it's closely related to it - so there's probably a way to prove that "If Riemann zeta function converges at s then Sum p^s converges at -s". I'm pretty shaky on analytic continuation, I get the basic idea but don't understand the mechanics of it.

Clayton -

Related to Is the sum of all primes = 13?

1. What is the definition of a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime?

To determine if a number is prime, you can use a variety of methods such as trial division, Sieve of Eratosthenes, or the AKS primality test. These methods involve checking if the number is divisible by any other number besides 1 and itself.

3. What is the sum of all primes?

The sum of all primes is an infinite series that continues to increase as more prime numbers are discovered. As of now, the sum of all known primes is estimated to be around 2.2 trillion.

4. Is the sum of all primes a finite number?

No, the sum of all primes is an infinite series. As more prime numbers are discovered, the sum will continue to increase.

5. Is it possible for the sum of all primes to equal 13?

No, the sum of all primes is an infinite series and 13 is a finite number. Therefore, the sum of all primes cannot equal 13.