Is the speed of light always constant, even in non-vacuum environments?

In summary, light in matter is described by effective photons, which travel at a lower speed than free photons in a vacuum. This is due to the collective action of billions of atoms affecting the wavelength of the photon. Therefore, the statement that light always travels at C, but gets interrupted by being absorbed and re-emitted, is not entirely accurate.
mjacobsca
Often times I read in these forums that the sped of light is C in a vacuum, but is slower in non-vacuum environments. Every time I read this, I wonder if it is a misstatement. Doesn't light always travel at C, but gets interrupted by being absorbed and re-emitted countless times by intervening particles? The way I understand it, the photon travels at C, gets absorbed and/or stopped by a particle, then gets emitted, traveling at C to the next stop, emitted, C, and so on. So while light may propagate slower than C, the photons themselves never travel slower than C. Is this a correct statement?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, exactly.

what about when light is affected by gravity...

Are the photons being emitted the same photons that were previously absorbed? Or are they different photons with the exact same energy and frequency? And if they are different, would that imply that we don't really ever see photons from a distant source, but rather photons that were emitted just a few feet in front of me?

mjacobsca said:
O The way I understand it, the photon travels at C, gets absorbed and/or stopped by a particle, then gets emitted, traveling at C to the next stop, emitted, C, and so on. So while light may propagate slower than C, the photons themselves never travel slower than C. Is this a correct statement?
No. The wavelength of a light photon is much longer than the distance between atoms, so the photon is affected by the collective action of billions of atoms. A photon in a material with index n travels at the group velocity in the material, which is less than c.

mjacobsca said:
Often times I read in these forums that the sped of light is C in a vacuum, but is slower in non-vacuum environments. Every time I read this, I wonder if it is a misstatement. Doesn't light always travel at C, but gets interrupted by being absorbed and re-emitted countless times by intervening particles? The way I understand it, the photon travels at C, gets absorbed and/or stopped by a particle, then gets emitted, traveling at C to the next stop, emitted, C, and so on. So while light may propagate slower than C, the photons themselves never travel slower than C. Is this a correct statement?

This is a frequent statement but it is not true. Light in matter is describe by effective photons, not the free photons one has in vacuum, and the effective photons travel with a lower speed. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=899393&postcount=4

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is the speed of light always constant, even in non-vacuum environments?

What is the speed of light in non-vacuum?

The speed of light in non-vacuum refers to the speed at which light travels through a medium other than a vacuum, such as air or water. This speed is slightly slower than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

How is the speed of light in non-vacuum different from the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in non-vacuum is slower than the speed of light in a vacuum due to the presence of particles in the medium that can scatter and absorb light. This results in a decrease in the speed of light in that medium.

What factors can affect the speed of light in non-vacuum?

The speed of light in non-vacuum can be affected by various factors such as the density, composition, and temperature of the medium. The speed of light can also be affected by the wavelength and frequency of the light being transmitted.

How is the speed of light in non-vacuum measured?

The speed of light in non-vacuum is typically measured using instruments such as lasers, interferometers, and refractometers. These instruments measure the time it takes for light to travel through a medium and calculate the speed based on the distance and time.

Why is the speed of light in non-vacuum important in scientific research?

The speed of light in non-vacuum is important in scientific research because it affects the behavior of light in different mediums. This can have implications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications. Understanding the speed of light in different mediums is crucial for accurate measurements and predictions in these fields.