Is the space-like distance to a black holes event horizon infinite?

In summary: There's no simple answer here, because it depends on the geometry of the situation and on the specific black hole involved. But in general, if the stick falls far enough into the black hole, its distance from the event horizon will become arbitrarily large, regardless of its actual length.
mrspeedybob
From a distant frame of reference a falling object never reaches the event horizon due to time dilation. If I drop a meter stick into a black hole lengthwise I should see both ends of the stick getting asymptotically closer and closer but never reaching the horizon, thus the stick should appear to get shorter from my frame of reference. Assuming that the black hole is large enough that tidal forces are negligible then the stick should not experience anything abnormal, therefore I conclude that the shortening of the stick is a relativistic length contraction type of phenomena. This same logic should apply equally well to a stick of a kilometer or a light-year. If I can drop a stick of arbitrarily long length toward a black hole and never see the far end reach the event horizon can I not conclude that the distance from myself to the event horizon is longer then any arbitrarily long stick?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you said yourself that the the apparent shortening of the stick is due to relativistic effects, why would you imagine that you can ignore these effects and use the apparent length as a reliable ruler?

mrspeedybob said:
From a distant frame of reference a falling object never reaches the event horizon due to time dilation.

This is not incorrect, exactly, but it can be misleading, since it's tempting to draw inferences from it such as the ones you draw, which are incorrect.

mrspeedybob said:
If I drop a meter stick into a black hole lengthwise I should see both ends of the stick getting asymptotically closer and closer but never reaching the horizon

Does "lengthwise" mean oriented radially (i.e., vertically)? I'll assume it does in what follows, since otherwise the problem is much less interesting.

mrspeedybob said:
thus the stick should appear to get shorter from my frame of reference.

No, it won't. The apparent "time dilation" that a distant observer sees when watching an object fall into a black hole doesn't work the same as time dilation due to relative velocity. That's one of the main reasons I don't think applying the term "time dilation" in the gravity case is a good idea.

mrspeedybob said:
Assuming that the black hole is large enough that tidal forces are negligible then the stick should not experience anything abnormal

Correct.

mrspeedybob said:
therefore I conclude that the shortening of the stick is a relativistic length contraction type of phenomena.

This is one of those incorrect inferences that the term "time dilation" tempts you to draw.

mrspeedybob said:
This same logic should apply equally well to a stick of a kilometer or a light-year.

Even if the logic were correct, it wouldn't apply to a stick of arbitrarily long length, because at some point the stick's length would be comparable to the size of the black hole, and tidal forces would certainly not be negligible in that case. (The possibility of non-negligible tidal forces also has to be taken into account in the correct logic, which I'll describe in a moment.)

mrspeedybob said:
can I not conclude that the distance from myself to the event horizon is longer then any arbitrarily long stick?

No, and that's not just because of what I said just now about tidal forces becoming non-negligible when the stick is large enough. The key here is to carefully define what we mean by "distances" in the radial direction, and to recognize that what the distant observer sees is distorted by the curvature of spacetime, so it's not a good way to judge what is actually happening to the stick, as MrAnchovy pointed out.

To properly judge radial distances, the distant observer has to correct for the distortion in what he sees. He does this by using the radial metric coefficient, ##g_{rr}##, which is ##1 / (1 - 2M / r)##, where ##M## is the mass of the black hole. At any given instant of the distant observer's time, the stick extends from ##r_1## to ##r_2## (where we stipulate that ##r_1## is the smaller of the two), so its proper length is given by

$$
L = \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \sqrt{g_{rr}} dr
$$

If you work out this integral, you will see that it is finite for any values of ##r_1## and ##r_2## greater than ##2M##; in fact, it will be finite even in the limit as ##r_1 \rightarrow 2M##. That indicates that the distance from any ##r > 2M## to the horizon at ##r = 2M## is finite. (This is still true when the distance is large enough that tidal forces are not negligible; but in that case the range of ##r## coordinates occupied by the stick will be increased significantly as it falls once the tidal forces get strong enough, so its proper length will increase.)

mrspeedybob said:
If I can drop a stick of arbitrarily long length toward a black hole and never see the far end reach the event horizon can I not conclude that the distance from myself to the event horizon is longer then any arbitrarily long stick?

In addition to what has already been said, think about the simple logic of what you have said and consider a stick that extends out twice as far from the black hole as you are from the black hole. How would you conclude that you are closer to the black hole than the length of the stick when one end of it is clearly farther from the black hole than you are?

mrspeedybob said:
If I can drop a stick of arbitrarily long length toward a black hole and never see the far end reach the event horizon can I not conclude that the distance from myself to the event horizon is longer then any arbitrarily long stick?

You might find the following equation of interest-

Quantitatively, for an observer hovering at a small Schwarzschild distance Δr above the horizon of a black hole, the radial distance Δr' to the event horizon with respect to the observer's local coordinates would be

[tex]\Delta r'=\frac{\Delta r}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{2M+\Delta r}}}[/tex]

Source- http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s7-03/7-03.htm

I think this question has come up before? The answer is still "no", the distance isn't infinite.

Note that the size of a stick as measured from infinity doesn't have anything to do with the distance that an observer on the stick would compute and/or measure as the distance to the event horizon.

To see this, consider the barn-pole paradox of special relativity (henceforth, SR). From the viewpoint of the barn, the moving pole shrinks. From the viewpoint of the pole, the barn does not grow - the barn shrinks.

Thus one can't conclude from the fact that the pole shrinks that the barn grows. It doesn't follow.

Thus one way to see that the above argument doesn't work is to study SR enough to understand the barn-pole paradox.

Unfortunately, without understanding some SR, the most one can hope to communicate is that the proposed answer (the distance to the event horizion is infinite) is wrong. Hopefully this much will be communicated if the OP studies the responses of science advisors and/or mentors to the several posts on this topic.

Related to Is the space-like distance to a black holes event horizon infinite?

1. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, beyond which nothing, including light, can escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. Is the distance to a black hole's event horizon infinite?

No, the distance to a black hole's event horizon is not infinite. It is a finite distance that varies depending on the mass and size of the black hole.

3. How is the space-like distance to a black hole's event horizon measured?

The space-like distance to a black hole's event horizon is measured using a mathematical formula that takes into account the mass and size of the black hole, as well as the speed of light.

4. Can anything escape from the event horizon of a black hole?

No, once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape due to the extreme gravitational pull. This includes light and any other form of matter.

5. What happens to time and space near a black hole's event horizon?

Near a black hole's event horizon, time and space are severely distorted due to the strong gravitational pull. Time appears to slow down and space becomes highly curved, making it difficult for anything to escape.