Is the Setup for the Electric Scaler Potential Integral Correct?

In summary: That's close, but what is the differential area in polar coordinates?The differential area in polar coordinates would be πr2.
kosmocomet

Homework Statement

66e3b29a-566a-4e53-b5cb-82d593a806dd
upload_2018-4-1_10-10-18.png

Homework Equations

• V=¼*(1/(π∈) * ∫(ρs/(R')*ds' where R' is distance from point to surface
  • R'=|R-Ri| distance from observation point to location of surface charge density.

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt was to define R' as R'=√((-r)2+(-Φ)2+(z)2). Then I said that ds' is = rdrdΦ. I put this into the integral. I am confused since the integral looks very involved ad wanted to know if my set up was correct.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_10-10-12.png
    upload_2018-4-1_10-10-12.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 466
  • upload_2018-4-1_10-10-18.png
    upload_2018-4-1_10-10-18.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 691
Physics news on Phys.org
kosmocomet said:

Homework Statement

66e3b29a-566a-4e53-b5cb-82d593a806dd
View attachment 223189

Homework Equations

• V=¼*(1/(π∈) * ∫(ρs/(R')*ds' where R' is distance from point to surface
  • R'=|R-Ri| distance from observation point to location of surface charge density.

The Attempt at a Solution

So my attempt was to define R' as R'=√((-r)2+(-Φ)2+(z)2). Then I said that ds' is = rdrdΦ. I put this into the integral. I am confused since the integral looks very involved ad wanted to know if my set up was correct.

Any help is much appreciated.
Why do you define R' that way?

tnich said:
Why do you define R' that way?
Thanks for the response. I am using cylindrical coordinates and since the point P is (0,0,z) and the disk is(r,Φ,0) doing the substraction is -r,-Φ,z whcih is the vector R'. The magnitude is then R'=√((-r)2+(-Φ)2+(z)2).

kosmocomet said:
Thanks for the response. I am using cylindrical coordinates and since the point P is (0,0,z) and the disk is(r,Φ,0) doing the substraction is -r,-Φ,z whcih is the vector R'. The magnitude is then R'=√((-r)2+(-Φ)2+(z)2).
OK. I see how you did it, but it is not correct. For one thing it is dimensionally inconsistent. It does not make sense to add ##rad^2## to ##m^2##. Let's approach it another way. Let r and z be constant and consider two angles, ##Φ_1 = 0## and ##Φ_2 = π/2##. Is the distance R' different for the different values of ##Φ##?

Well...I guess not mow that I think about it. Since, the distance would be based on r and z, correct?

If this is true, would the surface integral be drdΦ or dΦdz? I think it would be drdΦ since it is defined in radial and angular direction. The surface, I mean.

kosmocomet said:
Well...I guess not mow that I think about it. Since, the distance would be based on r and z, correct?
Yes.

kosmocomet said:
If this is true, would the surface integral be drdΦ or dΦdz? I think it would be drdΦ since it is defined in radial and angular direction. The surface, I mean.
That's close, but what is the differential area in polar coordinates?

Related to Is the Setup for the Electric Scaler Potential Integral Correct?

1. What is electric scaler potential?

Electric scaler potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It is also known as electric potential or voltage.

2. How is electric scaler potential calculated?

Electric scaler potential is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit positive charge from infinity to a specific point in an electric field by the charge itself.

3. What is the unit of electric scaler potential?

The unit of electric scaler potential is joules per coulomb (J/C) or volts (V).

4. What is the relationship between electric scaler potential and electric field?

Electric scaler potential and electric field are closely related. Electric field is the negative gradient of electric scaler potential, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential.

5. Why is electric scaler potential important?

Electric scaler potential is important because it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of electric fields and electric charges. It also plays a crucial role in numerous applications, such as electronics, power generation, and medical devices.