Is the set of rational numbers in [0,1] a set in the algebra?

In summary: So in this case the set would not be a set since it does not have a finite number of singleton points. However, the rationals could be in a different sigma-algebra that is generated by the singletons. In that case the rationals would be in the set.I apologize for being slow to understand your argument. ThanksIn summary, an algebra is a set of objects that are describable in terms of sets of objects and a sigma-algebra is a set of objects that are describable in terms of countable unions of sets of objects. In both cases, the additional feature is that the algebra is closed under countable unions. An example of a set that is an algebra,
tunaaa
Hello, first I’d like to clarify that the only difference between an algebra and a sigma-algebra, is that we have

[tex]A,B \in \mathcal{A} \Rightarrow A \cup B \in \mathcal{A} \text{ (1) for } \mathcal{A} \text{ algebra}[/tex][tex]A_1, A_2, A_3, \ldots\in\mathcal{A} \Rightarrow \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_i \in \mathcal{A}\text{ (2) for } \mathcal{A} \text{ sigma-algebra}[/tex]If this understanding is correct, then what I am confused about is that surely (1) implies (2), since, starting with (1),

[tex]\text{if } A_1, A_2 \in\mathcal{A} \text{ then } A_1 \cup A_2 \in\mathcal{A} \text{ by definition}[/tex][tex]\text{now if also } A_3 \in\mathcal{A} \text{ then } \underbrace{(A_1 \cup A_2)}_{A} \cup \underbrace{A_3}_{B} \in\mathcal{A}[/tex][tex]\text{now if also } A_4 \in\mathcal{A} \ldots[/tex]and so do we not arrive at (2)?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
tunaaa said:
surely (1) implies (2),

No, the fact that a statement is true "for any finite N" does not imply the statement is true "for an infinite number". In fact, what the statement means in the case of "an infinite number" may require its own definition (for example, finite series, vs infinite series).

I think what you mean by "algebra" is "the algebra of sets". I think you are correct that the essential additional feature of a sigma algebra is that it is closed under countable unions.

Thanks. So could you give an example of a set that is an algebra, but not a sigma algebra? Thanks

Look at a post on the forum by pivoxa15:
Physics Forums > Mathematics > Calculus & Analysis
Sigma algebra?

It has the example:
Universal set = real numbers in [0,1]
Sets in the algebra: all subsets of [0,1] of the form [a,b],(a,b],[a,b) or (a,b) and all finite unions of such sets.

A subset of [0,1] that is expressible as a countably infinite intersections and unions of such sets
(but not as a finite number of operations on them) is all rational numbers in [0,1].

Thanks - but to me that just suggests the rationals should in fact be in the algebra, rather than proving a contradiction. Why are the rationals not in the algebra to begin with?

A very elementary example is the following set

[tex]\{A\subseteq \mathbb{N}~\vert~A~\text{is finite or}~\mathbb{N}\setminus A~\text{is finite}\}[/tex]

this is an algebra that is not a sigma-algebra. In fact, this set is the algebra generated bby all the singletons. Note that the sigma-algebra generated by the singletons is [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{N})[/itex].

tunaaa said:
Thanks - but to me that just suggests the rationals should in fact be in the algebra

There might be a moral or aesthetic sense in which the rationals "should" be in the algebra, but people who give counterexamples aren't bound by such considerations.

Stephen Tashi said:
There might be a moral or aesthetic sense in which the rationals "should" be in the algebra, but people who give counterexamples aren't bound by such considerations.
OK fair enough, but that still doesn't explain why the rationals aren't in the algebra to begin with. I apologize for being slow to understand your argument. Thanks

Your question would be clearer without the phrase "to begin with". If you are asking for a proof that the set of rational numbers in [0,1] is not a set in the algebra then this is a good question. My intuitive argument would be that a set in the algebra can have only a finite number of singleton points in it. The only way to get a singleton point is to take the intersection of two intervals of the form (a,b] and [b,c). Since there are more than a finite number of rational numbers in [0,1], for any set in the algebra. we can find a rational number q that is either not in the set or is in an interval that is a subset of the set. If is in an interval then the interval would also contain irrational numbers.

Related to Is the set of rational numbers in [0,1] a set in the algebra?

1. What is a sigma algebra?

A sigma algebra is a mathematical concept used in probability theory and measure theory. It is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties, such as being closed under countable unions and complements. It is an essential tool for defining probability measures and analyzing complex mathematical structures.

2. What are the properties of a sigma algebra?

A sigma algebra must satisfy three main properties: closure under countable unions, closure under complements, and containing the empty set. This means that any countable union of sets in the sigma algebra must also be in the sigma algebra, the complement of any set in the sigma algebra must also be in the sigma algebra, and the empty set must be in the sigma algebra.

3. How is a sigma algebra different from a sigma field?

A sigma algebra and a sigma field are essentially the same concept, with the only difference being that a sigma field is defined on an uncountable set, while a sigma algebra is defined on a countable set. In practice, the two terms are often used interchangeably.

4. Why are sigma algebras important in probability theory?

Sigma algebras are important in probability theory because they allow for the rigorous definition of probability measures. By defining a set of events that satisfy certain properties, a probability measure can be defined to assign probabilities to those events. This allows for the study and analysis of complex probability structures and the development of important theorems, such as the Law of Large Numbers and the Central Limit Theorem.

5. How are sigma algebras used in real-world applications?

Sigma algebras have numerous applications in fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and to make predictions and decisions based on probability and measure theory. Some common real-world applications include risk assessment, market analysis, and quality control in manufacturing processes.