Is the Set of Non-Negative Integers Formed by $a-dx$ Always Nonempty?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MI5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: This is why we're so concerned about S being non-empty: if it isn't, we might not be able to find the "best" d and r for b divided by a.
MI5
My question concerns proving the set of non-negative integers of the form $a-dx ~~(a, d, x \in \mathbb{Z}, d \ge 1)$ is nonempty. This is the proof from my book. If $a \ge 0$, then $a = a-d\cdot 0 \in S$. If $a < 0$, let $x = -y$ where $y$ is a positive integer. Since $d$ is positive, we have $a-dx = a+dy \in S$ for sufficiently large $y$. Thus $S$ is nonempty.

Could someone explain sentence that I've bolded? It's not clear to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, simple form: x can be negative?

For example, if a = -1,000,000, and d = 2, it suffices to to take x < -500,000.

I think I understand now, thank you. Should it be $x \le -500,000$ though?

If you only require that \(\displaystyle a - dx\) be non-negative, sure, yep, you betcha.

Thank you. One more question. This is from the beginning of a proof of the division algorithm (as you probably recognised). The thing is, considering this particular set came out of a thin air. Do you know - or would you be able to give any motivation?

I believe I can do that:

Suppose we are trying to establish a quotient and remainder for b divided by a. We might, naively try "guess and check":

Pick a positive number d, any number. Calculate ad, and subtract it from b, call this number "a remainder", r:

r = b - ad.

Now, is there "some possible best remainder"? One way to "optimize" this is to try to pick d so that r is as small as possible (for reasons that may become clearer much later in your mathematical life, it is also more practical to work with non-negative remainders).

So what is this set of "non-negative remainders"? Why, it's just the S we've been talking about! Why are we so concerned about S being non-empty?

So we can use THIS theorem:

(Well-ordering of the Natural Numbers}:

Any ​non-empty set of non-negative integers has a least element.

This allows us to say with confidence a "best" remainder EXISTS, even if we haven't yet done the arithmetic. This, in turn let's us find UNIQUE d,r for b divided by a: we pick d so that r is the least element of S. For example, if we want to find these when b = 57, a = 7:

57 - 7 = 50 (first choice of d = 1)
57 - 14 = 43 (second choice of d = 2). Well, 43 < 50, so we'll keep d = 2 for now, and keep plugging away.

57 - 21 = 36 (third choice of d = 3). Again, 36 < 43, so we have a new winner (for now).

57 - 28 = 29 (29 < 36)
57 - 35 = 22 (22 < 29)
57 - 42 = 15 (15 < 22)
57 - 49 = 8 (8 < 15)
57 - 56 = 1 (1 < 8)

57 - 63 = -6 (oops, we went too far, -6 is negative). So the unique values we seek are d = 8, and r = 1. If we have established beforehand (rigorously) the existence and uniqueness of d and r, we don't have to go any further, our search for d and r is done, we don't have to try any more possibilities (good thing, too, since there are SO MANY integers we might try).

Related to Is the Set of Non-Negative Integers Formed by $a-dx$ Always Nonempty?

1. What does it mean to show that a set is nonempty?

Showing that a set is nonempty means proving that it contains at least one element. This is important because if a set is empty, it has no elements and therefore no properties or characteristics.

2. Why is it important to prove that a set is nonempty?

Proving that a set is nonempty is important because it establishes the existence of at least one element in the set. This can help to make assumptions and draw conclusions about the properties and characteristics of the set.

3. What are some common methods for showing that a set is nonempty?

One common method is by providing an example of an element that belongs to the set. Another method is by using logical arguments or proofs to show that an element must exist in the set.

4. Are there any special cases where it is difficult to show that a set is nonempty?

Yes, there are some cases where it can be difficult to show that a set is nonempty. For example, if the set is defined in a complex or abstract way, it may be challenging to identify and prove the existence of an element.

5. Can a set be both empty and nonempty at the same time?

No, a set cannot be both empty and nonempty at the same time. By definition, an empty set has no elements while a nonempty set has at least one element. These two conditions are mutually exclusive.