Is the SAT II Physics test harder than expected?

In summary: I had no idea about capacitors and inductors.In summary, the author is taking the SAT II physics in October and found that he did not learn a lot of the things covered in the test from the Kaplan review book. He is taking AP physics right now and is not sure how much depth he needs to know the new topics. He recommends taking practice tests and studying the review guides for the topics covered in the test. He also recommends that if you have taken physics in high school, you would have had more preparation.
lzh
I'm about to take the SAT II physics in Oct. I bought the Kaplan review book for it but found that I have not learned a lot of the things covered in the test, I have only taken first year physics and I am taking AP physics right now. We have not yet covered circuits, magnetic fields, ray optics and a few other things. Mainly, first year physics is mostly mechanics. I know that if I study a bit I can get the gist of most of the new topics. But how much in depth do I need to know them? Can anyone with experience with this test tell me how it's like? I noticed that even if you miss 10 questions, you can still score an 800-which might mean that the test is hard.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I graduated high school last year and took the SAT II Physics test as a senior. When I took the test, I had only taken first year physics as well. There were several topics the test covers that I hadn't learned, so I got a bunch of study guides from my library and tried to teach myself the extra topics.

The test definitely has questions about magnetic fields and optics; I'm not sure how much "depth" you'd need to know them for the test though. Take as many practice tests as you can get your hands on and see how well you do on those types of problems. Make sure you study the review guide's sections on those types of problems. The review guides definitely help, so take advantage of them.

Having only taken first year physics when I took the test, I thought the test was hard. I wish I had taken physics sooner in high school so I could have had more preparation. But if you study hard for it, it's not impossible to get an 800 especially since you don't have to be perfect and can still miss a lot of questions. Hope that helps a little!

I was about 6 weeks into AP physics: mechanics and had had algebra-based mechanics/optics in 9th grade when I took the SAT 2. I bought the sparknotes book on the test and ended up scoring a 770 by cramming all week. I gurantee I didn't know much more about E/M than the lorentz force law and like charges repel.

Related to Is the SAT II Physics test harder than expected?

1. What topics does the SAT II Physics Kaplan book cover?

The SAT II Physics Kaplan book covers all the major topics tested on the SAT II Physics exam, including Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Waves and Optics, Thermodynamics, and Modern Physics.

2. Is the SAT II Physics Kaplan book sufficient for studying for the SAT II Physics exam?

The SAT II Physics Kaplan book is a comprehensive study guide that covers all the necessary topics for the exam. However, it is important to also supplement your studying with practice tests and hands-on experience with the concepts.

3. Can the SAT II Physics Kaplan book be used for self-study?

Yes, the SAT II Physics Kaplan book is designed for self-study and includes detailed explanations and practice questions to help you prepare for the exam.

4. Are there any online resources that come with the SAT II Physics Kaplan book?

Yes, the SAT II Physics Kaplan book includes access to online resources such as practice tests, additional practice questions, and video tutorials to enhance your studying experience.

5. How does the SAT II Physics Kaplan book compare to other study guides for the exam?

The SAT II Physics Kaplan book is highly recommended by students and educators for its comprehensive coverage of topics and effective study strategies. However, it is always recommended to compare and use multiple study guides to find the one that best fits your learning style.