Is the Rise of Psychics a Sign of Growing Interest or a Dangerous Trend?

• Thread starter jhon13
  • Start date
In summary, there is a growing interest in astrology, tarot, psychic readings, and other forms of divination despite skepticism. Some argue that this is due to people seeking reassurance and comfort in times of stress, while others believe it is a result of a lack of critical thinking skills. There is concern that this trend could lead to a rise in crackpottery and superstition. However, it is also noted that in poor and undeveloped countries, where basic needs are a priority, education and critical thinking may not be a top priority.
jhon13
I was surfing through Google news earlier today and found a lot of news feeds that feature psychics in some way. Despite the skepticism, it is undeniable that there is a growing interest in astrology, tarot, psychic readings, and all those other stuff related to divination. Do you think this is good publicity or bad? Post your thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's crackpottery. How would this be good publicity??

Publicity for who?

What it shows is that too many people don't understand very basic science and prefer to believe in magic.

As our educational system deteriorates, as it has been doing for some years now (and is getting worse) people's beliefs become less and less based on reality and more and more on nonsense that they see on TV or the internet.

niklaus said:
Publicity for who?
Exactly. I found that to be an ambiguous question.

jhon13 said:
I was surfing through Google news earlier today and found a lot of news feeds that feature psychics in some way. Despite the skepticism, it is undeniable that there is a growing interest in astrology, tarot, psychic readings, and all those other stuff related to divination. Do you think this is good publicity or bad? Post your thoughts!

Do you surf psychic topics? Perhaps Google is tailoring its ads to you?

Anyway, my thoughts are that in times of elevated general public stress and anxiety, say relating to war or economics or social problems, people may intuitively seek reassurance, comfort or guidance from any source which appears to offer it. Even if the source is dubious, the effect even if by placebo effect, may be useful to calm down fretful individuals?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I doubt people are more inclined to these beliefs now than were previous generations. In fact I would guess that just the opposite is true.

Ivan Seeking said:
I doubt people are more inclined to these beliefs now than were previous generations. In fact I would guess that just the opposite is true.
I hope that's true but I worry that whilst "traditional" pseudo-science like ghosts, psychics and even religion seems to be declining each generation in the west I'm worried about a rise in every-day crackpottery that people aren't even aware about. The amount of young people I know who have visited an acupuncturist or taken Chinese medicine as treatment is ridiculous. This type of pseudo-science sells from the high-street and is rarely challenged in a public arena. It is disturbing how rubbish like this is creeping into major shops one isle at a time.

jhon13 said:
Despite the skepticism, it is undeniable that there is a growing interest in astrology, tarot, psychic readings, and all those other stuff related to divination.

Is it a fact? If it is just an opinion then Confirmation bias may be in.

Although science can explain many things, there are limits. This was particularly significant centuries ago. And scientific explanation can be very complex for some phenomenon. So people tend to ignore facts and it leads them to Divination/Superstition.

I think superstition will never end. There is limit to knowledge but there is no limit to ignorance.

manojr said:
I think superstition will never end. There is limit to knowledge but there is no limit to ignorance.
I sort of agree but I think that superstition and questionable beliefs are born out of a lack of critical thinking skills rather than ignorance. We're all ignorant of the vast majority of human knowledge but so long as you have the critical skills to recognise that saying "I don't know" is the right answer for when you don't know rather than "well I believe" and have the skills to evaluate the likelihood that what you are hearing is true (whilst being able to look it up later) ignorance doesn't matter so much.

Ivan Seeking said:

I hope it is true, but I am afraid it is not.
Popular media publish rubbish stories only to generate business and not to educate people. And people get influenced so easily. It takes significant effort and skill to educate people.
And in very poor/undeveloped countries, population growth is high too, even now conditions are almost like centuries ago, which promotes superstition.

Ryan_m_b said:
I think that superstition and questionable beliefs are born out of a lack of critical thinking skills rather than ignorance.
If 'critical thinking' is part of nature (inherited), then we can see that people with this skill are in minority, and they tend to reproduce at lower rate.
If 'critical thinking' is part of nurture, majority of population is struggling to get safe drinking water and food once a day, it is least on their priorities to educate themselves or their next generation for critical thinking.
So sad.

manojr said:
If 'critical thinking' is part of nature (inherited), then we can see that people with this skill are in minority, and they tend to reproduce at lower rate.
If 'critical thinking' is part of nurture, majority of population is struggling to get safe drinking water and food once a day, it is least on their priorities to educate themselves or their next generation for critical thinking.
So sad.
I know of no evidence that would indicate that critical thinking is inherited. And yes you are right that many people in the world are in abject poverty and so this is a low priority for them but my comment above specifically mentioned "the west"

Obviously societies have to prioritise but as you work your way up something akin to Maslow's hierachy of needs and find that your immediate physical needs are taken care of for the majority of the population (i.e. you have enough food, water and shelter) then you can start focusing on education and probably development of infrastructure.

Ryan_m_b said:
but my comment above specifically mentioned "the west"

I know. And I think this discussion is mainly about west where technology and media is dominant. And then there is social networking that spreads the news faster than light.
Lets hope that majority of people who are in position to acquire critical thinking actually do so.

I think people like the "mysterious unknown", it's the same reason people love horror movies, there is a sense of excitement and entertainment.

There are more ghost hunting, paranormal and psychic tv shows on now than I can ever remember. The "New Age" nonsense, the popularity of the vampire shows. People eat this stuff up.

manojr said:
I hope it is true, but I am afraid it is not.
Popular media publish rubbish stories only to generate business and not to educate people.

As little as three generations ago, people still blamed evil spirits for bad water. Natural disasters were generally thought to be punishments from God. Things like ghosts and demons where considered by many to be part of everyday life.

Consider for example, the Salem witch trials. Can you even imagine this happening today in a court of law?

Ivan Seeking said:
As little as three generations ago, people still blamed evil spirits for bad water. Natural disasters were generally thought to be punishments from God. Things like ghosts and demons where considered by many to be part of everyday life.

Consider for example, the Salem witch trials. Can you even imagine this happening today in a court of law?
This falls into the category of "the future is already here just no evenly distrubuted"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16150381

Sticking with just the west thought we've come a long way but there's so far still to go (and obviously some countries are further along than others). When such a high number of key politicians are almost fanatical in their religion and bring it to the table when discussing policy there's a worrying amount of similarities between our modern democracies and an old style theocracy.

Ryan_m_b said:
This falls into the category of "the future is already here just no evenly distrubuted"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16150381

Sticking with just the west thought we've come a long way but there's so far still to go (and obviously some countries are further along than others). When such a high number of key politicians are almost fanatical in their religion and bring it to the table when discussing policy there's a worrying amount of similarities between our modern democracies and an old style theocracy.

But even in our modern Democracy, every American coin says, In God We Trust.

Why would the average person reject beliefs that science can't or won't even address. People should just stop believing these things because, why, some academic said so? These are traditional beliefs, not new ones.

Ivan Seeking said:
But even in our modern Democracy, every American coin says, In God We Trust.

Why would the average person reject beliefs that science can't or won't even address. People should just stop believing these things because, why, some academic said so? These are traditional beliefs, not new ones.
The phrase "because some academic said so?" is a wonderful statement that can be used to belittle any position. "People should stop believing that demons cause sickness, why, because some academic said so?" or "people should stop believing that homosexuality is unnatural, why, because some academic said so?"

Science does address these issues, to say it doesn't is baffling. I'm not sure but I hope you're not suggesting that because something is traditional it has some sort of value! Especially when the tradition stretches back to 1956.

I met a phone psychic a couple years back. He was a non-believer and completely cynical about his clients. His talent consisted of the ability to sound sympathetic and to phrase advise in mystical sounding terms. Time, though, were tough, and he complained that there was a lot of competition.

A few months ago I met an "intuitive psychic", also at a coffee shop. She betrayed no disbelief or cynicism, but her conversation was also mostly complaints about how difficult it was to make a living at this. She was always having to deal with competition and official red tape.

A third "psychic" I met, mostly a tarot reader, was amateur and did it on the side (though she did charge a fee). She seemed sincere (believed the tarot held water). One day I happened to sit at the next table while she was conducting a reading. It was clear that the appeal lay in her paying deep attention to the person's problems, and responding with a tone of authority derived, I suppose, from her being in touch with "higher powers" or some such. The net effect was of a therapy session, with mystical dynamics being substituted for psychological. The person feels they're getting good advise from someone paying close attention and who is in touch with some superior system of ethics or behavior. Like a therapist, a "psychic" is on your side, unlike a friend or relative who might simply tell you to stop whinning or stop making some obvious chronic mistake.

The fact I've met so many "psychics" in the course of daily events might be coincidence, or it might mean there are lots of them out there, all competing for the business of the believers.

The increase in ads for psychics doesn't necessarily mean there are more believers than ever, just more people wanting to make a living at it. The number of advertisements always only indicates the number of people trying to sell something, not the number buying. I have the feeling the standard percentage of believers is simply now being serviced by an increased number of "psychics".

I think America's future is 1980's Romania, at best.

Illuminerdi said:
I think America's future is 1980's Romania, at best.

Optimist.

1. What is the reason behind the increasing popularity of psychics?

The increasing interest in psychics can be attributed to several factors. One reason is that people are looking for guidance and direction in their lives, especially during times of uncertainty. Psychics offer a sense of comfort and reassurance by providing insights and predictions about the future. Additionally, with the rise of social media and the internet, it has become easier for people to find and connect with psychics, making their services more accessible.

2. Do psychics have real abilities or is it all a hoax?

This is a highly debated topic and there is no clear answer. Some believe that psychics have genuine abilities to tap into supernatural forces and provide accurate readings, while others argue that it is all a clever manipulation of psychology and cold reading techniques. There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of psychic abilities, but many people continue to believe in and seek out their services.

3. Are all psychics the same or do they have different abilities?

Not all psychics are the same and they may possess different abilities. Some may specialize in predicting the future, while others may focus on communicating with spirits or providing spiritual guidance. It is important to do research and read reviews before choosing a psychic to ensure that their abilities align with your needs.

4. Can anyone become a psychic or is it a gift that some people are born with?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that psychic abilities are a gift that some people are born with. While some may argue that everyone has the potential to develop psychic abilities, it is not a skill that can be easily learned or taught. Many psychics claim to have had experiences and visions from a young age, but it is ultimately up to individual belief.

5. Are there any potential dangers or risks associated with consulting with psychics?

There are some potential risks associated with consulting with psychics. Some may take advantage of vulnerable individuals and charge exorbitant fees for their services. Additionally, relying too heavily on psychic readings can lead to a dependence on them for making important life decisions, rather than trusting one's own intuition and judgement. It is important to approach psychic readings with a critical and open mind, and to use them as a tool for guidance rather than absolute truth.