Is the Rise of Anti-Work Taking Over Reddit?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, employees are quitting jobs at an all-time high and companies that provide better perks, better pay and benefits are experiencing increased employee engagement and productivity.
kyphysics
There've been myriad stories about "The Great Resignation" over the past year and here was a recent spin-off take called, the rise of "Anti-Work":

These were just a few posts from a lengthy and very interesting Twitter thread. See full thread for details.

Am I the only person seeing this sentiment rising everywhere around me. I've spoken to lots of people who've experienced this. Here is the Reddit anti-work page: https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/

*thread title is an obvious play on words of the "Reddit Attacks Wall Street" thread - not suggesting the workers are necessarily wrong here* :approve:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mcastillo356 and rsk
Physics news on Phys.org
From the Reddit anti-work page:

Very powerful image!

Attachments

• 8E1i2lMDUehgxoLyVjGj54Pz2gEvEt5siOXKWyDYF_o.jpg
    8E1i2lMDUehgxoLyVjGj54Pz2gEvEt5siOXKWyDYF_o.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 86
Likes rsk
I work in sales for a human capital management software platform company.
The common thread during the great resignation is employees have access to information. Companies that provide better perks than jeans on friday and invest in engaging their employees, providing a good work/life balance, better pay and benefits are growing at this time.
Paycor, which just went public in june has seen a nearly 100% increase in employees and record sales by eating their own food and using the analytics to make business decisions that benefit the employees. This increased employee engagement and productivity to all time highs in their 30 year existence.

I speak with CFO's and HR leaders on a weekly basis and the consensus among companies that are winning the talent war is that investing in their internal customers( employees) had paid a much higher return on investment that investing in attracting outside customers. Happy and engaged employees for a business between 250 and 10000 employees produce roughly 2 million USD more in revenue for the organization over an average tenure of 5 years.

Compounding that with decreased costs associated with recruiting and training replacements and the net gain per employee over 5 years averages a little over 2.5 million USD.

Likes InkTide

1. What is "anti-work" and why is it a topic on Reddit?

"Anti-work" refers to the belief that traditional work and productivity-focused lifestyles are harmful and should be challenged. This topic has gained popularity on Reddit as users have shared their experiences and opinions about the negative effects of the traditional work culture.

2. Is the rise of anti-work a new phenomenon?

No, the concept of anti-work has been around for decades. It has gained more attention in recent years due to the rise of technology and the changing job market, which has led to discussions about alternative ways of living and working.

3. Are there any potential benefits to the anti-work movement?

Some proponents of anti-work argue that it can lead to a healthier work-life balance, increased creativity and innovation, and a happier and more fulfilled society. However, these benefits are still subject to debate and may not apply to everyone.

4. How does the rise of anti-work affect the economy?

The impact of anti-work on the economy is a complex issue with many different perspectives. Some argue that it could lead to a decline in productivity and economic growth, while others believe that it could lead to a more sustainable and equitable economy in the long run.

5. What actions can be taken to address the rise of anti-work?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to addressing the rise of anti-work. However, some suggestions include promoting work-life balance, implementing flexible work arrangements, and rethinking societal values and expectations around work and productivity.