Is the push to stop smoking going too far?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Push
In summary: People on one side say "freedom." People on the other side say "you're killing innocent people." I think both sides have some valid points. In summary, people are arguing about whether smoking is good or bad.
DiracPool
Ok, this a thread about the push, at least in the USA, to stop smoking. I'll start with an abridged history as far as I know it. We have been innundated with cigarettes everywhere we look, such as supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, etc. ever since I can remember. And although its been curtailed now, there used to be a massive media assault of the virtues of "lighting up."

Now, all of a sudden, in WA state at least, you are treated like a Leper if you want to partake in a tabacco product. This is to the point whereby you have to be 25 feet from any door anywhere legally in order to have a smoke. Which means that when you go anywhere but a farm you need to be standing in the middle of the road, balanced on one foot doing a pirouette in order to comply with the law.

However, half of the real estate of every convenience store has walls of tabacco products. And almost every supermarket and POS establishment carry them to. Seems to me a bit hypocritical.

I'm not a smoker but I will occasionally have one, and I used to enjoy one in many of the bars in the greater Seattle area. Then it all just ended overnight. Is that fair? I personally think that each club or restaurant owner should make the decision as to whether smoking should be allowed in their establishment. You don't like smoking, go hang out with your non-smoking clan at club A. If you want to have a beer and a smoke, go to club B. What's wrong with that? Instead, you can't smoke anywhere and have to be reminded of that fact everytime you go buy a Slurpee and see the wall of cigarettes behind the counter. I say either classify tabacco as a schedule 1 drug and get it out of the stores, or stop persecuting the smokers your government is enabling. What do you think?

BTW, here's one of my favorite artists who agrees with me on this issue. He's been very vocal about it in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dv0poW-ic8

Physics news on Phys.org
Smoking is unhealthy. The smoke contains poisons and carcinogens. You don't have a right to do it where other people would be forced to inhale it. Voters have decided on it.

We've had a lot of threads on this. They go down the toilet quickly.

What are the health risks associated with smoking?

Smoking has been linked to numerous health risks, including lung cancer, heart disease, stroke, respiratory diseases, and various types of cancer. It can also lead to shorter life expectancy, decreased lung function, and increased risk of infections.

Why is there a push to stop smoking?

The push to stop smoking is due to the significant negative impact it has on an individual's health and well-being. It is also a major contributor to preventable deaths and illnesses. There is a growing awareness of the harmful effects of smoking and an increased effort to promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are the benefits of quitting smoking?

Quitting smoking has numerous benefits, including improved overall health, reduced risk of developing smoking-related diseases, increased life expectancy, improved smell and taste, better lung function, and improved appearance. It can also lead to financial savings and a better quality of life.

What are some effective methods for quitting smoking?

There are several methods for quitting smoking, including nicotine replacement therapy, medications, counseling and support groups, and alternative therapies such as acupuncture and hypnosis. It is essential to find a method that works best for an individual and to seek professional help if needed.

How can we encourage others to stop smoking?

Encouraging others to stop smoking can be done by providing support and understanding, educating them about the health risks and benefits of quitting, and being a positive role model. It is important to be patient and non-judgmental and to offer resources and assistance if needed.