Is the Proton-Electron Theory Disproved by Experimental Evidence?

• Thread starter Comanche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isospin
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about the content of Georgi's Lie algebras in Particle Physics 2nd chap5. The first question is about experimental evidence that falsifies Heisenberg's idea of the neutron being composed of a proton and electron exchanging electrons. The second question is about the multiparticle states and whether they are just a basis or a notation. The conversation also mentions that cloud chambers have proved the existence of quarks, thereby disproving the proton-electron theory.
Comanche
Hi,

I read Georgi's Lie algebras in Particle Physics 2nd chap5 and have two questions.

1) In the beginning he mentioned Heisenberg regarded neutron is composed as proton and electron, the force between nucleons are exchanging electrons. My question is, what is the experimental evidence falsifies this idea (except proton proton scattering in accelerators)?

2) In p81, he built multiparticle states by successively adding creation operators
[tex]a^{\dagger}_{N,1/2,\alpha_1} \cdots a^{\dagger}_{N,1/2,\alpha_n} | 0 >[/tex]

My question is, is that just a basis of multiparticle eigenstate of Hamiltonian? Imagine there is a vacuum. I first created a helium nuclei, then add a single electron. When I add the second electron, the helium electronic eigenstate will not be a tensor product of two single-electron state. The tensor product is just a two-electron (plus a nuclei) basis. Back to the equation of multiparticle state, is that just a basis?

Similarly for many hadrons, like [tex]u\bar{d}[/tex], is that a basis or a notation means the pion contains [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]\bar{d}[/tex]?

Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Comanche said:
1) In the beginning he mentioned Heisenberg regarded neutron is composed as proton and electron, the force between nucleons are exchanging electrons. My question is, what is the experimental evidence falsifies this idea (except proton proton scattering in accelerators)?
QM does not allow bound states of proton+electron within that size and energy, and those electrons would disturb the "other" electrons in atoms.

If the neutron were a proton-electron bound state, what would be its spin? What is the neutron's spin?

Vanadium 50 said:
If the neutron were a proton-electron bound state, what would be its spin? What is the neutron's spin?

thanks! only the first question left...

Last edited:
well cloud chambers proved the existence of quarks thereby disproving the proton-electron theory if your asking for experimental evidence.

Related to Is the Proton-Electron Theory Disproved by Experimental Evidence?

1. What is isospin in physics?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between particles with different electric charges but similar properties, such as mass and spin. It is used in particle physics to classify and understand subatomic particles.

2. How is isospin different from spin?

Isospin is similar to spin in that it is a quantum number that describes a property of subatomic particles. However, spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, while isospin refers to the symmetry between particles with different electric charges.

3. What is the purpose of using isospin in particle physics?

The use of isospin in particle physics allows for a more efficient classification of subatomic particles, as it takes into account their similar properties rather than just their electric charge. It also helps to explain certain patterns and behaviors observed in particle interactions.

4. How is isospin measured or quantified?

Isospin is quantified using the mathematical concept of a group, specifically a special unitary group called SU(2). The isospin quantum number, denoted as I, can take on half-integer values (e.g. 1/2, 3/2, 5/2) for fermions and integer values (e.g. 0, 1, 2) for bosons.

5. Can particles have both isospin and spin?

Yes, particles can have both isospin and spin. In fact, the concept of isospin was developed to address the similarities between particles with different electric charges but the same spin. So, particles can have a specific isospin value in addition to their spin value.