Is the problem wrong (deals with resolving vectors into their components)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the orientation of vectors and the y and x components related to their angles. The conversation also includes a quote from physicist Richard Feynman about feeling stupid when trying to understand complex concepts in physics.
awesome_irl

Homework Statement

4.9b cites the y components to be sin degree and 4.9a is somehow cos degree for the x components (see picture)
physics.png

Homework Equations

Here's a different textbook that supports my claim (see picture)

physics1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Shouldn't the y components for problem 4.9b be cos instead of sin based on how the angle of the vector is oriented? Isn't this vice versa for problem 4.9a (this should be sin)

Physics news on Phys.org
When splitting a vector V, the y component is V*sinθ, and the x component is V*cosθ. It doesn't matter how the vector is oriented. The picture you posted from another textbook confirms what it shows in the first picture. If you rearrange the sin equation, you get V*sinθ=Vy (which is the y component of vector V)

I just realized that T1 stood for vector V
I thought that T1 somehow was identifying Vector y

I feel stupid...REALLY stupid...

Don't worry about it, I think physics makes everybody feel stupid. I'd like to point you to a quote by a great physicist, Richard Feynman.

http://youtu.be/lytxafTXg6c
"When you are thinking about something that you don’t understand you have a terrible, uncomfortable feeling called ‘confusion’. It’s a very difficult and unhappy business. So, most of the time you are rather unhappy, actually, with this confusion. You can’t penetrate this thing. Now, is the confusion… is it because we are all some kind of apes that are kind of stupid working against this? Trying to figure out to put the two sticks together to reach the banana and we can’t quite make it? …the idea ? And I get that feeling all the time: that I am an ape trying to put two sticks together. So I always feel stupid. Once in a while, though, everything — the sticks — go together on me and I reach the banana.”

Likes 1 person
Thanks!

Related to Is the problem wrong (deals with resolving vectors into their components)?

1. What is the process for resolving vectors into their components?

The process for resolving vectors into their components involves breaking down a vector into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be done using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, to determine the magnitude and direction of each component.

2. Why is it important to resolve vectors into their components?

Resolving vectors into their components allows for easier analysis and understanding of the motion and forces acting on an object. It also allows for the vector to be broken down into its individual parts, making it easier to calculate and manipulate mathematically.

3. Can vectors be resolved into more than two components?

Yes, vectors can be resolved into any number of components as long as each component is perpendicular to the others. This is known as vector resolution and is a common technique used in physics and engineering.

4. What are some real-life examples of resolving vectors into their components?

One example of resolving vectors into their components is in determining the horizontal and vertical forces acting on a bridge. Another example is in navigation, where a ship's velocity is broken down into its eastward and northward components to determine its overall speed and direction.

5. Are there any limitations to resolving vectors into their components?

One limitation to resolving vectors into their components is that it can only be done for vectors that are acting in a two-dimensional plane. In three-dimensional situations, other techniques such as vector addition must be used. Additionally, resolving vectors into components assumes that the components are acting in isolation and does not take into account any other forces acting on the object.