Is the Normalization Independent of Time in Square Well Superposition?

In summary, this problem asks you to normalize a superposition of two states and show that the normalization is good for any time > 0. You solve the problem by integrating the first two pieces, and then taking the complex square.
Locrian
This comes from http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Physics/8-04Quantum-Physics-ISpring2003/44AEFEB2-BD59-4647-9B54-3F2C57C2B57C/0/ps7.pdf" of the MIT coursework online. This problem seems straightforward to me and I believe I'm making a stupid math mistake of one kind or another, though its possible I'm (once again) missing something more important.
The problem asks you to normalize a superposition of two states and show that the normalization is good for any time > 0.
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})e^{-i \omega_1 t} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})e^{-i \omega_2 t}[/tex]
[tex]1 = \int_l^{l+a} <\psi^*|\psi> \,dx = \int_l^{l+a} \Psi(x,t) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})e^{i \omega_1 t} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})e^{i \omega_2 t} +[/tex]
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})e^{-i \omega_1 t} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})e^{-i \omega_2 t}\,dx[/tex]
Taking the complex square I get:
[tex]= \int_l^{l+a} \frac{1}{a}sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a}) + \frac{1}{a}sin^2(\frac{2 \pi x}{a}) + \left(e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)} + e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}\right)\left(\frac{1}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})\right)\,dx [/tex]
And integrating the first two pieces (but not the third yet)
[tex] =\left[\frac{x}{2a} - \frac{1}{4\pi}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})\right]_l^{l+a} + \left[\frac{x}{2a} - \frac{1}{4\pi}sin(\frac{4\pi x}{a})\right]_l^{l+a} [/tex]
[tex]+ \int_l^{l+a} (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left(\frac{1}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})\right)\,dx[/tex]
Now working out those first two results in a 1/2 for each, so there's my entire probability right there. It would seem to follow that the third will be zero, making the normalization independant to time. That's how I thought this would work out, but either I'm wrong about that logic or my math isn't working - or both.
Looking at just that third part,
[tex] \int_l^{l+a} (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left(\frac{1}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})\right)\,dx[/tex]
[tex](e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\int_l^{l+a} \frac{2}{a} sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a}) cos(\frac{\pi x}{a})\,dx[/tex]
[tex]= (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left[\frac{1}{3\pi}sin^3(\frac{\pi x}{a})\right]_l^{l+a}[/tex]
If I need to post any of the identities I'm using please let me know.
[tex]= (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left[\frac{1}{3\pi}sin^3(\frac{\pi (l+a)}{a})\right] - \left[\frac{1}{3\pi}sin^3(\frac{\pi l}{a})\right][/tex]
[tex]= (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left(\frac{1}{3\pi}\left[sin \frac{\pi l}{a}cos\pi + cos\frac{\pi l}{a}sin\pi\right]^3 - \left[\frac{1}{3\pi}sin^3(\frac{\pi l}{a})\right]\right)[/tex]
[tex]= (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left[\frac{1}{3\pi}\left(-sin^3(\frac{\pi l}{a})\right) - \frac{1}{3\pi}sin^3(\frac{\pi l}{a})\right][/tex]
Which is not zero by any means, nor would the sum be 1.
Please let me know if you see any errors, and thanks for your time reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Locrian, if you put [tex] l = 0 [/tex] then you get zero like you should. So let me ask you, why should [tex] l = 0 [/tex]?

Also, (and this a totally irrelevant point) but in the fourth line from the bottom, the result of the integration should be
[tex]
= (e^{it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)}+e^{-it(\omega_1 - \omega_2)})\left[\frac{\textbf{2}}{3\pi}sin^3(\frac{\pi x}{a})\right]_l^{l+a}
[/tex]
so that when you differentiate you cancel the three and the pi and get 2/a back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction!

As for [tex]l[/tex] being zero, it shouldn't have to be, should it? I should be able to make it any arbitrary value, so long as the other side of the box is at [tex]l + a[/tex]. Please hint me if I'm wrong about this.

You're welcome!

Here is a hint: You are free to choose your coordinates as you like, but the wavefunction does have to vanish at the edge of the box, so maybe the wavefunction you have written down already implicitly contains a choice for [tex] l [/tex]?

Of course! Let me see if I understand:

The choice of coordinates for the edges of the box must have been chosen before the wave functions of the superposed states is determined; I can't just assume any value for the edges of the box now because then the state function given doesn't make any sense.

Am I to say then that, besides a (significant) error with a factor of two, I'm actually correct here, since plugging in 0 for [tex]l[/tex] will give me the answer to the problem?

I appreciate your time physics monkey.

Yes, you've got it. They have already assumed the box goes from [tex] x=0 [/tex] to [tex] x = a[/tex].

You are quite welcome.

Related to Is the Normalization Independent of Time in Square Well Superposition?

What is Normalizing in Square Well?

Normalizing in Square Well is a process used in statistical mechanics to determine the probability distribution of particles in a confined space, such as a potential well. It involves calculating the normalization constant, which is used to scale the probability distribution so that it sums to 1.

Why is Normalizing important in Square Well?

Normalizing is important in Square Well because it ensures that the probability distribution accurately reflects the behavior of particles in the confined space. It also allows for the calculation of other important quantities, such as the average energy or pressure, from the probability distribution.

How is Normalizing done in Square Well?

To perform Normalizing in Square Well, the normalization constant is calculated by integrating the probability distribution over all possible positions and momentums of the particles. This integral can be solved analytically or numerically using methods such as Monte Carlo simulations.

What is the significance of Normalizing in Square Well?

The significance of Normalizing in Square Well is that it allows for the calculation of thermodynamic properties of a confined system, such as the partition function and free energy. These properties are important in understanding the behavior of particles in a potential well and can be applied to various physical systems.

What are the limitations of Normalizing in Square Well?

One limitation of Normalizing in Square Well is that it assumes the particles in the confined space are non-interacting. This may not accurately reflect real-world systems where particles may interact with each other. Additionally, the calculations can become more complex for multi-particle systems or potential wells with varying depths.