What is Intelligence? 2001 A Space Odyssey & Machines

In summary, the conversation touched on the definition of intelligence and whether it can be incorporated into machine technology. The participants also discussed the limitations of IQ tests and the role of neural networks in the development of artificial intelligence. They also shared their personal definitions of intelligence and mentioned the website http://a-i.com, which offers information and resources on AI research.
caumaan
I was just watching this thing about 2001: A Space Odyssey. Anyway, what do you all consider to be intelligence? Could it be incorperated into machine technology?

I also wanted to say that I don't think we need to go into the usual debate (i.e. "Humans aren't intelligent", etc.) Thank you for reading and responding. So...um, yeah. Bye.

Physics news on Phys.org
Intelligence, i think is how you handle a new problem. So given a cirumstance/problem whatever then if you can find original conlcusions or just the correct one then you have some level of a kind of intelligence.

In general i think that there are kinds of intelligence - math, people skills, entrepreneurial, etc. so you can be 'intellignet' at the math and theoretical physics but no good at recognising if a potential company would work or go bankrupt.

Also IQ tests measure intelligence only if someone has never seen that kind of question before, so if the question of what s next in a number series is put to a graduate in maths then their experience gives them unfair advantage so to speak.

To have intelligence: The ability to program yourself.
To be intelligent: To be effective at solving a problem or to be quick at solving a problem.

:smile:

AI, or artificial intelligence is a difficult task. It's more than just giving a computer a set of instructions to follow. Learning involves trial and error and error just like anything else, but it's more. You need to be able to make mistakes in the learning process without killing yourself. In order to truly emulate human intelligence, a compture must have nearly equal the capacity that hte human mind does. True AI is not that far off actually.

Can artificial intelligence be integrated with neural networks? Also, would you need some sort of physical moving body, such as a robotic housing, for the development of true AI?

Neural networks convinced many philosophers that maybe AI was conceivable, this was people who had led the charge against the old, so-called top-down or programming approach to AI.

But it appears that neural networks (which are only a tiny bit like real neurons) aren't doing the job either. My own attitude has swung wildly over the years as these technical changes happened. I am now content to wait and see what the current wonderful technology of live brain study tells us. There's still a lot to learn about thinking.

The professional definition of intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge.

Also I would say that intelligence is your ability of orientation and to use what you got to solve a problem.

Originally posted by the_truth
To have intelligence: The ability to program yourself.
To be intelligent: To be effective at solving a problem or to be quick at solving a problem.

:smile:

i would replace problem with situation...problem makes it sound negative, but i agree with your post...

very boardly speaking Inteligence is defined has ones ability to adapt to new seneros... ITS NOT, what you KNOW!

of course Inteligence comes in many forms, and with that many ways of testing so even the best IQ tests, should be treated with a pitch of salt.

From http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/wsj.htm

The Meaning and Measurement of Intelligence

1) Intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings-"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

2) Intelligence, so defined, can be measured, and intelligence tests measure it well. They are among the most accurate (in technical terms, reliable and valid) of all psychological tests and assessments. They do not measure creativity, or other important differences among individuals, nor are they intended to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always consider intelligence to be the ability to learn and apply knowledge. I guess wisdom would be a part of intelligence.

http://www.a-i.com is an interesting site.

AI Research is a leading artificial intelligence research project. At AI, we're creating a new form of life. Our expanding website is an essential part of the emerging global discussion about artificial intelligence. Use our forums, original papers, on-line labs, demos and links to explore what's happening both at AI the (the project) and in AI (the field).

The have a chat bot 'Alan' which is interesting. They also have another A-I program that you can train yourself (on-line). If you create an account (it's free), you can save your training sessions for later. The forums are also pretty good. Discussions about AI, mind, consciousness, awareness, etc.

What is intelligence?

Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept that refers to a person's ability to learn, understand, and adapt to new situations. It involves cognitive abilities such as reasoning, problem-solving, and decision-making, as well as emotional and social skills.

How is intelligence measured?

Intelligence is typically measured using standardized tests, such as IQ tests, which assess various cognitive abilities. However, these tests have been criticized for not fully capturing the complexity of intelligence and for potential cultural biases.

What is the connection between intelligence and the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey"?

The movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" explores the theme of artificial intelligence and its potential to surpass human intelligence. The main antagonist, the supercomputer HAL 9000, is portrayed as highly intelligent but lacking in emotional and ethical intelligence.

Can machines be considered intelligent?

There is ongoing debate about whether machines can truly possess intelligence. Some argue that as technology advances, machines may reach a level of intelligence that is indistinguishable from human intelligence. Others argue that true intelligence involves consciousness and cannot be replicated by machines.

What are the potential implications of artificial intelligence for society?

The rise of artificial intelligence has the potential to greatly impact society, both positively and negatively. It could lead to more efficient and advanced technology, but also raises ethical concerns about the role of machines in society and the potential loss of jobs to automation.