Is the Milky Way at the center of the expanding universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe having a center and whether or not the Milky Way is at that center. It is mentioned that all galaxies appear to be receding from each other, but it is also noted that the universe is most likely infinite and therefore does not have a center. The comparison of a cake with raisins is used to explain this concept and the conversation ends with a suggestion to check out a link for further clarification.
Passionate Eng
I read in "The Theory of Everything" of Stephen Hawking that all of the galaxies are running away from ours.
That made me think that the Milky Way is the center of universe, since each galaxy is running away from us(like waves on the surface of water centered at one point which is the Milky Way).
Unless that the universe is infinite then it does not have center.
I wish someone understand me and tell me whether this is right or not.
:smile:

Space news on Phys.org
If you were in any other galaxy, it would appear that (most) galaxies are receding from it.

Ok, but does not that mean that the universe is infinite?!

It doesn't actually have a center. Or, at least, if it has, we can't prove it, I guess. Think of a cake with raisins: when you put it in the oven, it starts to rise. But each raisin would see the same scenario of every other raisin of the cake around it. Every rasin would then say "ya cool I'm the center of the cake!" but it actually has no opportunity to see the whole of it from outside. We're in the same situation, but since we are not rasins, we just say "no, there's no reason we should be at the center of the universe". This is what is called" Cosmological Principle".

it is clear now
thank you very much

I suggest the link in my signature

Passionate Eng said:
Ok, but does not that mean that the universe is infinite?!
Think of the surface of an expanding sphere. Each point sees all other points receding uniformly.

Thanks for all

Related to Is the Milky Way at the center of the expanding universe?

What is the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe refers to the continuous increase in the distance between galaxies and other celestial bodies. This phenomenon was first observed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and is believed to be caused by the Big Bang, which is the initial event that is thought to have created the universe.

How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed various pieces of evidence that support the theory of the expansion of the universe. One of the most significant pieces of evidence is the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us at high speeds. The cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang, also provides evidence for the expansion of the universe.

Will the expansion of the universe ever stop?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. However, there are some theories that suggest the expansion could slow down or even reverse in the distant future. This is still an area of active research and is not yet fully understood.

What is dark energy and its role in the expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is believed to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. It is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe, but its exact nature and origin are still unknown. Its presence is inferred from observations of the universe's expansion and its effects on celestial bodies.

How does the expansion of the universe affect the objects within it?

The expansion of the universe does not have a noticeable effect on objects within our own galaxy, as gravity holds them together. However, it does have an impact on the large-scale structure of the universe, causing galaxies and clusters of galaxies to move further apart. This also affects the rate at which the universe is expanding, as more space is being created between objects.