Is the Long Line Locally Euclidean, Hausdorff, and Path Connected?

In summary: It's not true that a_1 and a_2 are the second and third smallest elements of L. For example, consider the case where a_1 and a_2 are both the smallest element of S. Then (a_1,0) and (a_2,0) are two different but equally "small" elements of L.In summary, we are discussing the set L = { S x [0,1) } \ ##(a_0,0)## where ##a_0## is the smallest element of S, which is not well-ordered. We are trying to understand why L is Hausdorff, which means that any two distinct points in L have disjoint neighborhoods. To show this
PsychonautQQ
Let S be the minimal uncountable set. That is, for every m in S, there are countable many n s.t. n<m.

Let L = { S x [0,1) } \ ##(a_0,0)## where ##a_0## is the smallest element of S (S is well ordered so this element exists). Order L be dictionary order, and then give L the order topology.

Show that L is locally euclidean, Hausdorff and path connected.

I am first trying to understand why L is Hausdorff. If ##a_0## is the smallest element of S, then S/{a_0} will have smallest element a_1.

I am trying to find disjoint neighborhoods of points (a_1,0) and (a_2,0) which I believe to be the two smallest elements of L. Does each element of S have a discrete neighborhood in the order topology?

After I understand why it is Hausdorff then I will try to understand why it is locally euclidean and path connected.

Thanks PF!

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
I am first trying to understand why L is Hausdorff. If a0a_0 is the smallest element of S, then S/{a_0} will have smallest element a_1.
L is Hausdorff if any two distinct points in L have disjoint neighbourhoods. Since we are using the order topology, we can assume WLOG for distinct x,y that x<y. We can find disjoint nbds of the two if we can find u such that x<u<y (what will the two disjoint nbds be?).

How can we find such a u? We may need to separately consider the cases where the x and y have the same first component, and where they don't.

Looking ahead: the locally Euclidean piece looks easy, but the path-connected piece looks hard.

By the way, terminology used in relation to the Long Line is non-standard and can be confusing. The set L above is sometimes called the Long Line but more often called the Long Ray. The Long Line - call it LL - is obtained by attaching a reversed copy of L to the unreversed L.

Likes PsychonautQQ
andrewkirk said:
L is Hausdorff if any two distinct points in L have disjoint neighbourhoods. Since we are using the order topology, we can assume WLOG for distinct x,y that x<y. We can find disjoint nbds of the two if we can find u such that x<u<y (what will the two disjoint nbds be?).

How can we find such a u? We may need to separately consider the cases where the x and y have the same first component, and where they don't.

Looking ahead: the locally Euclidean piece looks easy, but the path-connected piece looks hard.

By the way, terminology used in relation to the Long Line is non-standard and can be confusing. The set L above is sometimes called the Long Line but more often called the Long Ray. The Long Line - call it LL - is obtained by attaching a reversed copy of L to the unreversed L.
Hmm, okay, thanks for the heads up. So given an x and y we need to find a u between them and then we can find disjoint neighborhoods, that makes sense to me. The problem I was having was that if the set S has a smallest element, then it won't it have a second smallest element because it is well ordered? and a third smallest element then? So for (a_1,0) and (a_2,0) where a_1 and a_2 are the second and third smallest elements I don't see an element between them. My thinking must be flawed somewhere.

@PsychonautQQ Sorry for some reason I didn't see your reply. I only just found it now.

What you say about a second-smallest element of S is correct. That's why we need to times S with [0,1) and apply the dictionary order. The resultant set, unlike S, is not well-ordered. To get an element between (a1,0) and (a2,0) use the second component of those pairs.

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to Is the Long Line Locally Euclidean, Hausdorff, and Path Connected?

1. What is the Long Line?

The Long Line is a mathematical concept that describes an infinite straight line extending in both directions. It is used in topology, a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects.

2. What are some unique properties of the Long Line?

One unique property of the Long Line is that it is unbounded, meaning it has no endpoints. It also has a non-compact topology, meaning it cannot be covered by a finite number of open sets. Additionally, the Long Line has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of real numbers, making it a continuous line.

3. How is the Long Line different from other topological spaces?

The Long Line differs from other topological spaces in that it is not locally compact. This means that every point on the Long Line does not have a compact neighborhood. Additionally, the Long Line is not a Hausdorff space, meaning that it does not satisfy the Hausdorff separation axiom.

4. Can the Long Line be visualized?

Although the Long Line cannot be physically visualized due to its infinite nature, it can be represented mathematically and through diagrams. One way to visualize the Long Line is to think of it as a circle with one point removed, stretched infinitely in both directions.

5. How is the Long Line used in scientific research?

The Long Line is used in various fields of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and geometry. It is also used in physics and engineering to model infinite systems, such as the behavior of fluids or the infinite length of an electric wire. Additionally, the Long Line has applications in computer science, particularly in the study of infinite data structures and algorithms.