Is the HP-12C the Most Expensive RPN Calculator?

In summary, HP is not the only company that sells calculators with RPN. The HP-12C is expensive because it is small and user-friendly for those who prefer RPN. The HP-15C was a similar but discontinued version. There are still affordable RPN calculators available, such as the HP10b for ~$40 and the HP33s which can be switched to RPN mode. However, the HP10b can only be shipped within the US.
ffleming7
Is HP the only company that sells calculators with RPN?
Why is the HP-12C so expensive? It doesn't look expensive.
I was wondering if it was possible to get a small pocket calculator that used RPN that wasn't too expensive?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The 12C is pricey because it is small and easy to use if you like RPN. There was also a comparable scientific (not financial) version of this calculator that was just as compact and was very handy. I think it was the 15C, but don't hold me to that. It's been about 20 years.

It was the 15C, but they don't make these anymore, and that was why I was wondering if I could still get a relatively cheap RPN calculator. I have recently learned about RPN and the HP-15C on the Cosmic Variance blog. RPN sounded amazing and so did the HP-15C, and now I want an RPN calculator.

I see the 12C listed for less then $100, for a high capability calculator that is not expensive.

There is a HP10b financial, which should be RPN, for ~$40. This can only be shipped in the US, so that may be a problem for you.

Related to Is the HP-12C the Most Expensive RPN Calculator?

What is Reverse Polish Notation?

Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) is a mathematical notation in which operators follow their operands. This means that instead of using parentheses to specify the order of operations, RPN uses the position of the operands in the expression to determine the order of operations.

How does Reverse Polish Notation work?

In RPN, each operator is placed after its operands. For example, the expression "3 + 4" would be written as "3 4 +". This is known as a postfix notation. RPN uses a stack data structure to store the operands and evaluates the expression by popping the operands off the stack and applying the operator to them.

Why is Reverse Polish Notation useful?

RPN is useful because it eliminates the need for parentheses and reduces the chances of making mistakes in complex mathematical expressions. It also makes it easier for computers to process mathematical expressions since they do not have to deal with the ambiguity of parentheses.

What are the advantages of using Reverse Polish Notation?

Some advantages of RPN include its simplicity and efficiency in evaluating mathematical expressions. It also allows for easier conversion to and from other notations, such as infix notation. Additionally, RPN can be easily implemented in computer programs using a stack data structure.

Are there any disadvantages to using Reverse Polish Notation?

One potential disadvantage of RPN is that it may take some time for individuals to get used to the notation, especially if they are already familiar with infix notation. Additionally, some people may find it more difficult to read and write expressions in RPN compared to infix notation. However, with practice, these disadvantages can be overcome.