Is the hot weather causing bursting airbeams when camping?

In summary, the pressure in an airbeam tent can increase due to the higher temperatures, but it is unlikely that a relatively small increase in temperature would put the pressure in the beams beyond the max acceptable limit.
fella1973
Im a keen camper and for my family tent I have been a long time convert to airbeam tents as opposed to poled tents. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the recent spate of hot weather has led to increase in burst airbeams due to the higher temperatures, but i find it hard to believe that a relatively small increase in temperature would put the pressure in the beams beyond the max acceptable limit of the beams. I've tried to figure it out myself but its a long time since i did any physics.

Here is what i know:

Beam Dimensions 12cm diameter by 6m length
Recommended air pressure at 7psi
Max recommended air pressure 9psi

if we assume normal temp is 20deg what would be the impact on the beam pressure at say 30deg C and 40 degc?

Cheers

Science news on Phys.org
For a closed /constant volume, the pressure of a gas is proportional to the absolute temperature (293° for 20°C and 313° at 40°C. The pressure increases at the same rate as the temperature. The percent increase in temperature from 20°C to 40°C is 6.8% so the pressure increases by 6.8%. So at 8 psi and 20°, this increases the pressure to 8.5 psi so no problem if the 9 psi max is reliable.

fella1973 said:
but i find it hard to believe that a relatively small increase in temperature would put the pressure in the beams beyond the max acceptable limit of the beams.
If the increased incidence of failures is real, then more likely is a failure of the adhesive or welding procedure used to form the air chambers. Do you have any photos of such failures? Were they along seams or someplace else in the airbeam construction?

You list a max pressure specification, but what do the manufacturers list for max operating temperature? The temperature of the structure's fabric in the direct sunlight in hot weather will be a fair amount higher than the ambient air temperatiure...

Do airbeam tents with dark-colored fabric fail more often in hot weather compared to airbeam tents with light-colored fabric? :wink:

Last edited:
Likes gleem and dlgoff
gleem said:
For a closed /constant volume, the pressure of a gas is proportional to the absolute temperature (293° for 20°C and 313° at 40°C. The pressure increases at the same rate as the temperature. The percent increase in temperature from 20°C to 40°C is 6.8% so the pressure increases by 6.8%. So at 8 psi and 20°, this increases the pressure to 8.5 psi so no problem if the 9 psi max is reliable.
Not quite right. It’s the absolute pressure that increases, 8 psi + 14.7 is 22.7 absolute, which increases to 24.2 = 9.5 psi.
In reality, it’s probably a combination of higher pressure, and the softening of the plastic. Let it down a bit if it’s hot!

Likes gleem

1. What are airbeams and how do they work?

Airbeams are inflatable poles used in camping tents instead of traditional metal or fiberglass poles. They work by using pressurized air to create a rigid structure, providing support and stability to the tent.

2. Can hot weather cause airbeams to burst?

Yes, hot weather can potentially cause airbeams to burst. When exposed to high temperatures, the air inside the beams expands, increasing the pressure and potentially causing them to burst.

3. How can I prevent airbeams from bursting in hot weather?

To prevent airbeams from bursting in hot weather, it is important to properly inflate them and monitor the air pressure. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid over-inflating the beams. It is also helpful to set up the tent in a shaded area to avoid direct sunlight and high temperatures.

4. Are there any warning signs that an airbeam is about to burst?

Yes, there are some warning signs that an airbeam may be about to burst. These include bulging or stretching of the beam, unusual noises coming from the beam, or a sudden decrease in air pressure. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to deflate the beam and seek a replacement.

5. Can I repair a burst airbeam?

In most cases, a burst airbeam cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced. However, some manufacturers may offer repair kits for minor damages. It is important to always check the warranty and instructions provided by the manufacturer before attempting to repair a burst airbeam.