Is the Gradient of Dirac Delta Independent of the Coordinate System?

In summary, the following statement is true:The gradient of a function f(x-x') is equal to the derivative of f(x-x') with respect to x.
IanBerkman
Dear all,

I have a quick question, is the following statement true?
$$\nabla_\textbf{x'} \delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x'}) = \nabla_\textbf{x} \delta(\textbf{x}-\textbf{x'})?$$

I thought I have seen this somewhere before, but I could not remember where and why.
I know the identity ##d/dx \delta(x) = \delta(x)/x## but I do not see how to implement this into the above equation.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you think about the more general question when you replace the delta by an arbitrary function of a vector, i.e., how is the gradient of f(x-x') wrt x related to its derivative wrt x'?

BvU said:
I'm missing the minus signs...

Orodruin said:
I suggest you think about the more general question when you replace the delta by an arbitrary function of a vector, i.e., how is the gradient of f(x-x') wrt x related to its derivative wrt x'?

.For a general function the answer is ##\nabla'f(x-x')=-\nabla f(x-x')##. I was too distracted with the delta function itself, this also explains the minus sign

To check, what's right, you need to remember the meaning of the ##\delta## distribution. It's a functional acting on an appropriate set of test functions (e.g., the smooth functions with compact support, ##C_0^{\infty}(\mathbb{R}^3)##. Then you have by definition [corrected due to #7 and #8]
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' \vec{\nabla}_x \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') f(\vec{x}')=\vec{\nabla}_x \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') f(\vec{x}')=\vec{\nabla}_x f(\vec{x}).$$
On the other hand, via integration by parts,
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' \vec{\nabla}_{x'} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') f(\vec{x}')=-\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}') \vec{\nabla}_{x'} f(\vec{x}')=-\vec{\nabla}_{x} f(\vec{x}).$$
Thus comparing the two formulae tells you
$$\vec{\nabla}_x \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')=-\vec{\nabla}_{x'} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}').$$

Last edited:
Likes IanBerkman
It is clear now, thank you.

Groleix said:
dear vahnees71, i don't understant the first equation you write. on LHS you write f(x-x'), while on RHS you write f(x') under the integrand, why so ? How can we manage to put the gradient out of the integral without involving integration by parts ?
Thank you !
Both cases should be f(x').

Likes vanhees71 and Groleix
Orodruin said:
Both cases should be f(x').
Of course, it's a stupid typo. I'll correct it right now.

Related to Is the Gradient of Dirac Delta Independent of the Coordinate System?

1. What is the Gradient of Dirac Delta?

The Gradient of Dirac Delta is a mathematical concept that represents the gradient of a function defined by a Dirac delta distribution. It is a vector field that describes the rate of change of the Dirac delta function at each point in space.

2. Why is the Gradient of Dirac Delta important?

The Gradient of Dirac Delta is important because it allows us to calculate the change in a Dirac delta function over a given area. This is useful in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where the Dirac delta function is used to model point sources of energy or mass.

3. How is the Gradient of Dirac Delta calculated?

The Gradient of Dirac Delta is calculated using the standard formula for gradient. In one dimension, it is simply the derivative of the Dirac delta function. In higher dimensions, it involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each coordinate.

4. What are some properties of the Gradient of Dirac Delta?

Some properties of the Gradient of Dirac Delta include linearity, meaning that it follows the rules of linearity for vector fields, and locality, meaning that it is zero everywhere except at the point where the Dirac delta function is defined. It also satisfies the divergence theorem and can be used to calculate flux through a surface.

5. How is the Gradient of Dirac Delta used in real-world applications?

The Gradient of Dirac Delta has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to model and analyze point sources of energy or mass, such as in electrical circuits or fluid flow. It is also used in image and sound processing to enhance and filter signals. Additionally, it is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.