Is the Frobenius Method Required at Each Singular Point for General Solutions?

• Thread starter ductape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frobenius
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Frobenius method for solving a differential equation with two regular singular points. The speaker suggests that the method may not be necessary and that the equation can be solved using an ordinary point. However, it is noted that the method is typically used when initial conditions are given at the singular point. The conversation also considers the use of the method for both initial value and boundary value problems. It is suggested that in the latter case, two separate series may need to be used.
ductape
Hello, I was just wondering, if I have a differential equation that has two regular singular points, and I am asked for the general solution, do I need to use the Frobenius method about each point seperately? I suspect that I do I just want to clarify.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the option even not to use the Frobenius method. Can we avoid the regular point?

The Legendre's equation
(1-x2)y" - 2xy' + n(n+1)y = 0
have two regular points but we usually solve the equation about the ordinary point x=0.

Typically, we have to use Frobenious method at singular points only when we are given intial conditions at that singular point. It is easier to apply "y(x0)" and "y'(x0)" if our series solution is in terms of (x- x0)n.

Yes it looks reasonable to used frobenius series for an initial value problem because of an infinite number of terms involve.

But what about a boundary value problem where we are given two points? y(x0) = y0 and y(x1) = y1 .

We still need to sum an infinite series. :confused:
Is this what ductape meant in the initial post? Used two separate series.

Related to Is the Frobenius Method Required at Each Singular Point for General Solutions?

What is the Quick Frobenius Question?

The Quick Frobenius Question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the smallest positive integer that cannot be expressed as a combination of two or more positive integers, each raised to a positive whole number power.

Who created the Quick Frobenius Question?

The Quick Frobenius Question is named after Ferdinand Georg Frobenius, a German mathematician who first posed the problem in 1910.

What is the significance of the Quick Frobenius Question?

The Quick Frobenius Question has practical applications in the fields of number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It also has connections to other mathematical problems such as the Diophantine equation and the Knapsack problem.

What is the difference between the Quick Frobenius Question and the Frobenius coin problem?

The Quick Frobenius Question is a simplified version of the Frobenius coin problem, which asks for the largest integer that cannot be expressed as a combination of positive integers with given values. The Quick Frobenius Question only asks for the smallest integer, making it a more approachable problem for mathematicians.

Is there a formula for solving the Quick Frobenius Question?

There is no general formula for solving the Quick Frobenius Question for all values, but there are specific formulas for certain cases, such as when the numbers used in the combination are relatively prime. In most cases, the problem must be solved through trial and error or using computational methods.