Is the Formula P = Depth * 0.1 Accurate for Determining Water Pressure

In summary, the formula P = depth * 0.1 is not accurate enough to determine the water pressure at different levels.
the_android
hi, I'm doing a small research project on underwater habitats. Nothing serious just in my spare time, and simply wondered if the formula P = depth * 0.1 is accurate enough to determine the water pressure at different levels or if it's to crude to be used at all. if i may have missed some points or posted in the wrong section please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can honestly say I've never heard of that formula. I can't even see how it works.

Pressure is force per unit area (or in some cases given as mass per unit area). Your equation ignores the mass of fluid and the area over which it is applied.

All your equation does is reduce the depth by an order of magnitude.

If anyone else knows how your equation works (or yourself) please do explain, otherwise I'd have to say it's useless.

1kg of water applied to 1m2 isn't the same as 10kg of water applied to 1m2. Your equation would make them out to be the same (according to your equation you would get a pressure of 1 for both).

afaik, at zero depth (shoreline) the pressure is 1 atmosphere and at the depth of ten meters the pressure have doubled roughly to 2 so with this formula I've calculated that the pressure at 5 meters the pressure would be roughly 1,5 and at 53 meters the pressure would be 6,3. if i need another formula don't hesitate to correct me. i even missed +1 at the end of it.

P=depth*0,1+1
now i get it to work

Last edited:
i now noticed that the formula is very crude and not working properly. i think this thread clearly shows my lack of education in the matter. but i still need a working formula. any thoughts?

Last edited:
You can use the following formula to get pressure at certain depth:

(hmm for some reason I can't get tex working)

p = p0 + rho * g * h

where p0 = initial pressure, in this case 1 bar
rho = density of water = 1000 kg/m3
g = gravity acceleration = 9.81 m/s^2
h = depth which you want the pressure at.
So we plug those in and get
p = 1bar + 9810Pa * h and then we convert 9810Pa into bars
p = 1 bar + 0,0981*h
As you can see the approximation varies depending on which values you use for the g and rho.

ok, thanks. now i have a better understanding on matter :)

Related to Is the Formula P = Depth * 0.1 Accurate for Determining Water Pressure

1. What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force that water exerts on its surroundings. It is caused by the weight of the water in a certain area and is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is water pressure measured?

Water pressure is measured using a device called a pressure gauge. This gauge is connected to the water supply and measures the amount of force exerted by the water. The measurement is typically in psi, but can also be in other units such as kilopascals or bars.

3. What factors affect water pressure?

There are several factors that can affect water pressure. These include the height of the water source, the volume of water in the source, the size of the pipes, and any obstructions or restrictions in the system. Changes in elevation, such as going up or down a hill, can also affect water pressure.

4. What is the difference between water pressure and water flow?

Water pressure and water flow are related but different concepts. Water pressure is the force of the water, while water flow is the rate at which the water is moving. Think of it like a hose - water pressure is the force of the water coming out of the hose, while water flow is the amount of water that comes out in a certain amount of time.

5. How does water pressure affect plumbing?

Water pressure is an important factor in plumbing systems. If the water pressure is too low, it can result in poor water flow and difficulty in operating appliances such as showers and washing machines. On the other hand, if the water pressure is too high, it can put stress on pipes and cause leaks or bursts. It is important to maintain a proper balance of water pressure in plumbing systems to ensure efficient and safe operation.