Is the Force Field \vec{F}=f(r)\vec{r} Conservative?

In summary: Cartesian coordinates. It is also useful to find out and remember the formulas for these in spherical polar coordinates. However, these are not terribly complicated.
AwesomeTrains

Homework Statement

Show that the force field [itex]\vec{F}=f(r)\vec{r}[/itex] is conservative. [itex]f(r)[/itex] is a scalar field. [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]curl(\vec{F})=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the cross product, in cartesian coordinates, but how do i treat f(r) when doing the partial derivatives?
Would it be better to use spherical coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org
AwesomeTrains said:

Yes.
*edit* Well, to elaborate - while you have to introduce some scale factors in order to do this, the only partial derivative you will need to care about is ##\partial_r##. At the same time, your field only has a component in the radial direction ...

Does that mean in spherical coordinates my field looks like this: [itex]\left(f(r),0,0\right)[/itex] ?

If the first component is the one associated with the radial unit vector: almost.

Remember that ##\vec r = r \vec e_r##. This implies that ##f(r) \vec r = f(r) r \vec e_r##. However, this will matter very little for the computation of the curl.

AwesomeTrains said:

Homework Statement

Show that the force field [itex]\vec{F}=f(r)\vec{r}[/itex] is conservative. [itex]f(r)[/itex] is a scalar field. [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]curl(\vec{F})=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the cross product, in cartesian coordinates, but how do i treat f(r) when doing the partial derivatives?

Treat f(r) as f(√(x2+y2+z2)).

Recall that ##\nabla \times (f(r)\vec r)= \left(\nabla f(r) \right)\times \vec r + f(r) \left(\nabla\times\vec r\right)##

ehild

ehild said:
Treat f(r) as f(√(x2+y2+z2)).

Recall that ##\nabla \times (f(r)\vec r)= \left(\nabla f(r) \right)\times \vec r + f(r) \left(\nabla\times\vec r\right)##

ehild

Of course it can be done in Cartesian coordinates. However, it is much simpler in spherical coordinates assuming that the general expression for the curl in curvilinear coordinates is known and the scale factors are known or easily calculable as is the case here. There is no need to resort to using the expression for r in terms of Cartesian coordinates.

You do not need to use any system of coordinates, only the properties of the nabla operator and those of cross product are needed.
The gradient can be handled as differentiation with respect to vector ##\vec r##. ##r=\sqrt{\vec r ^2}##, so ##\nabla r = \frac{d\sqrt{\vec r ^2}}{d\vec r}= \frac{\vec r}{r}##, ##\nabla f(r) = \frac{df}{dr }\frac {\vec r}{ r}## And the cross product of a vector by itself is zero.

ehild

Got it now thanks, since theta and phi are zero and since f(r) only depends on r, all the partial derivatives will be zero. Saw it after I looked up the curl in spherical coordinates. Thanks for the help :)
Oh and please correct me if what I just said is wrong.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Well, your first line seemed to indicate you wanted the OP to do it in Cartesian coordinates.

The coordinate free approach is based on
$$
\nabla f(r) = \frac{df}{dr} \nabla r
$$
and thus the knowledge that ##\nabla r = \vec e_r## (or more generally ##h_s \nabla s = \vec e_s##, where ##s## is a coordinate). I am not sure that we can assume that the OP has seen this.

AwesomeTrains said:
Got it now thanks, since theta and phi are zero and since f(r) only depends on r, all the partial derivatives will be zero. Saw it after I looked up the curl in spherical coordinates. Thanks for the help :)
Oh and please correct me if what I just said is wrong.

Only thing: ##\theta## and ##\phi## as coordinates are not zero. It would be more correct to say that the components of the vector field in the ##\theta## and ##\phi## directions are zero. Perhaps this is what you meant, but just to make sure.

Orodruin said:
Well, your first line seemed to indicate you wanted the OP to do it in Cartesian coordinates.

The coordinate free approach is based on
$$
\nabla f(r) = \frac{df}{dr} \nabla r
$$
and thus the knowledge that ##\nabla r = \vec e_r## (or more generally ##h_s \nabla s = \vec e_s##, where ##s## is a coordinate). I am not sure that we can assume that the OP has seen this.

But it is easy in Cartesian coordinates knowing that r=√(x2+y2+z2).

ehild

But it is easier in spherical coordinates knowing that ##h_r = 1##. :)

Regardless it is a simple matter of computation in either case.

Orodruin said:
But it is easier in spherical coordinates knowing that ##h_r = 1##. :)

Regardless it is a simple matter of computation in either case.

One usually remembers how to get gradient, divergence, curl in Cartesian coordinates. To use these in spherical polar coordinates, you need to find the formulas which are utterly complicated.

It is useful to find out and remember the gradient of r, the divergence and curl of ##\vec r##.

ehild

"Utterly complicated"? I think that is pushing it a bit. All that is needed to remember is the general forms (which are not utterly complicated) and the scale factors. In this particular case the relevant scale factor is even one ... I will agree that it is useful to know ##\nabla r,\ \nabla\cdot\vec r##, and ##\nabla\times\vec r##. For some reason I just don't like differentiating square roots.

Related to Is the Force Field \vec{F}=f(r)\vec{r} Conservative?

What is a conservative force field?

A conservative force field is a type of force field that is associated with a potential energy function. This means that the work done by the force in moving an object from one point to another is independent of the path taken.

What are some examples of conservative force fields?

Some examples of conservative force fields include gravity, electric fields, and magnetic fields.

How is a conservative force field different from a non-conservative force field?

A conservative force field is different from a non-conservative force field in that the work done by a conservative force is path independent, while the work done by a non-conservative force is path dependent. This means that the total energy of a system is conserved in a conservative force field, while it can change in a non-conservative force field.

What is the relationship between conservative force fields and potential energy?

Conservative force fields are associated with potential energy functions, which represent the energy stored in a system due to its position or configuration. The gradient of the potential energy function is equal to the force exerted by the conservative force field.

How are conservative force fields used in scientific research and applications?

Conservative force fields are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, to study the behavior of systems and make predictions about their motion and interactions. They are also used in practical applications, such as designing spacecraft trajectories and optimizing energy usage in buildings.