Is the following gauge transformation possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a scalar field \phi existing such that \vec A'= A+grad\phi and \Delta\vec B=0. However, it is shown that the gauge transformation cannot change the vector field B, thus making it impossible for a scalar field to satisfy the equation. The discussion also covers the use of Schwarz's theorem and the order of derivatives.
Marin
Hi there!

Few weeks ago I came upon the following problem:

Let B be a vector field derivable from a vector potential A (on a simply connected topological space, smooth enough and everything well established so that mathematicians do not have to care about), i.e. [tex]\vec B=rot \vec A=\vec\nabla\times\vec A[/tex].

Now, we know from Elecrodynamics that we could alter the vector potential A by some gradient field (gauge transformation).

Further, assume [tex]\Delta\vec B\neq 0[/tex], i.e. B itself does not satisfy Laplace's equation.

The question is now, whether a scalar field [tex]\phi[/tex] exists, such that [tex]\vec A'= A+grad\phi[/tex] and [tex]\Delta\vec B=0[/tex]?

The question is reasonable, since:

[tex](\Delta\vec B)_i=\partial^2_l B_i=\partial^2_l\varepsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(\vec A+grad\phi)_k=\partial^2_l\varepsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(A_k+\partial_k\phi)=\varepsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial^2_l(A_k+\partial_k\phi)[/tex]

although we know [tex]\partial^2_l A_k\neq 0[/tex], why shouldn't some [tex]\phi[/tex] exist such that [tex]\partial^2_l(A_k+\partial_k\phi)=0[/tex]?!

(I tend to think that this is impossible, for the following reason: Let B be the magnetic field and A be the respective vector potential. We know that an EM-wave is a wave, where both the Electric and the Magnetic field obey the wave equation. Now if the former were true, I could always pick up that gauge for the A potential and make the magnetic wave equation trivial, which would be somekind of embarrassing, since I'm talking on my cell phone every day making use of the electroMAGNETIC waves :) - of course this is by no way a rigorous mathemacial disproof)

so I would be glad to here what you think of this :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Marin said:
Hi there!

Few weeks ago I came upon the following problem:

Let B be a vector field derivable from a vector potential A (on a simply connected topological space, smooth enough and everything well established so that mathematicians do not have to care about), i.e. [tex]\vec B=rot \vec A=\vec\nabla\times\vec A[/tex].

Now, we know from Elecrodynamics that we could alter the vector potential A by some gradient field (gauge transformation).

Further, assume [tex]\Delta\vec B\neq 0[/tex], i.e. B itself does not satisfy Laplace's equation.

The question is now, whether a scalar field [tex]\phi[/tex] exists, such that [tex]\vec A'= A+grad\phi[/tex] and [tex]\Delta\vec B=0[/tex]?

The question is reasonable, since:

[tex](\Delta\vec B)_i=\partial^2_l B_i=\partial^2_l\varepsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(\vec A+grad\phi)_k=\partial^2_l\varepsilon_{ijk}\partial_j(A_k+\partial_k\phi)=\varepsilon_{ijk}\partial_j\partial^2_l(A_k+\partial_k\phi)[/tex]

although we know [tex]\partial^2_l A_k\neq 0[/tex], why shouldn't some [tex]\phi[/tex] exist such that [tex]\partial^2_l(A_k+\partial_k\phi)=0[/tex]?!

(I tend to think that this is impossible, for the following reason: Let B be the magnetic field and A be the respective vector potential. We know that an EM-wave is a wave, where both the Electric and the Magnetic field obey the wave equation. Now if the former were true, I could always pick up that gauge for the A potential and make the magnetic wave equation trivial, which would be somekind of embarrassing, since I'm talking on my cell phone every day making use of the electroMAGNETIC waves :) - of course this is by no way a rigorous mathemacial disproof)

so I would be glad to here what you think of this :)

First:

[tex] B := \nabla \times A [/tex]

[tex] A' := A + \nabla \phi[/tex]

[tex] B' := \nabla \times A'[/tex]

Therefore

[tex]
B' = \nabla \times (A + \nabla \phi) = B + \nabla \times \nabla \phi = B
[/tex]

This is the whole point of the gauge transformation. It is not able to change B.

So

[tex]
\Delta B' = \Delta B \neq 0
[/tex]

Torquil

what you've written is absolutely true..

but it is exactly the direct plug-in what I'm trying to avoid here, using the fact that I can change the order of derivatives according to Schwarz's thm.

It would be not affecting B itself, just its derivatives..?

Firstly, the gauge transformation won't affect B in any way, e.g. as seen by the proof I gave that the function B' is the same function as B, and therefore all its derivatives are equal.

But I understand that you are interested in the resolution of the problem you posed in the context of your equation for A? Let me first repeat your equation A without components:

[tex]
\Delta B' = \Delta (\nabla \times A') =\Delta (\nabla \times (A + \nabla\phi)) = \Delta B + \Delta (\nabla\times\nabla\phi) = \Delta B + \nabla\times (\Delta\nabla\phi)
[/tex]

Here I have done the same as you did in your component notation. I took the liberty of writing B instead of nabla x A in the last terms, just for neatness. Your question is why a [tex]\phi[/tex] cannot be chosen so that the last term makes the whole thing zero, i.e. to compensate for the non-zeroness of the Delta B term.

You can find a [tex]\phi[/tex] there that will not be killed by the Laplacian and on of the nablas, but the second nabla will kill it anyway... The quantity in the last parenthesis can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar, therefore it is killed by the second nabla. This is the case no matter what [tex]\phi[/tex] you use. Even if exchange the order of derivatives, the quantity that the (nabla X)
acts on can still be expressed as the gradient of a scalar.

Torquil

sounds good to me :)

thanks for the 'enlightment' :)

Related to Is the following gauge transformation possible?

1. What is a gauge transformation?

A gauge transformation is a mathematical operation that transforms the fields and potentials in a physical system without changing the underlying physical properties of the system. It is often used in the study of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

2. How does a gauge transformation affect physical quantities?

A gauge transformation does not affect physical quantities, as it only changes the mathematical description of the system and not the physical properties of the system. This is known as gauge invariance.

3. Can any type of gauge transformation be performed?

No, not all gauge transformations are possible. The gauge transformation must preserve certain physical conditions, such as the continuity of the fields and the boundary conditions of the system.

4. How is a gauge transformation represented mathematically?

A gauge transformation is represented by a mathematical function, known as the gauge function, which acts on the fields and potentials in the system. This function can be complex and can vary depending on the specific physical system being studied.

5. What is the significance of gauge transformations in physics?

Gauge transformations play a crucial role in modern physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. They help to simplify the mathematical description of physical systems and are essential for maintaining gauge invariance, which is a fundamental principle in many physical theories.