Is the Exponential of a Linear Operator Defined?

In summary, we recently learned that a linear operator T: V \rightarrow V and a function g(t) = a_0 + a_1t + \dots + a_nt^n can define the operator g(T) = a_0I + a_1T + \dots + a_nT^n, and we also learned about the exponential of a matrix. The question was raised whether the operator e^T can be defined for a linear operator T: V \rightarrow V, similar to how e^A is defined for a matrix A. It was determined that the operator can be defined using the power series, as long as it converges. The study of these types of functions of operators falls under the branch of functional analysis
ryo0071
In class we recently learned that for a linear operator \(\displaystyle T: V \rightarrow V\) and function \(\displaystyle g(t) = a_0 + a_1t + \dots + a_nt^n\) one can define the operator \(\displaystyle g(T) = a_0I + a_1T + \dots + a_nT^n\) (where \(\displaystyle I\) is the identity transformation). We also recently learned about the exponential of a matrix. My question is that for a linear operator \(\displaystyle T: V \rightarrow V\) can the operator \(\displaystyle e^T\) be defined? (For example, like how \(\displaystyle e^A\) is defined for a matrix \(\displaystyle A\)) (I tried searching for information on it but all I found was information on the exponential of a matrix). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you'd probably have the formal definition of
$$e^{T}:= \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{T^{j}}{j!},$$
where $T^{0}=I$. But whether this makes any sense or not for a particular vector space, I think you might have to decide on a case-by-case basis.

Alternatively, any linear operator can be written as a matrix if you find out how it transforms the basis vectors. Then you could identify the exponential of the operator with the exponential of the corresponding matrix.

ryo0071 said:
In class we recently learned that for a linear operator \(\displaystyle T: V \rightarrow V\) and function \(\displaystyle g(t) = a_0 + a_1t + \dots + a_nt^n\) one can define the operator \(\displaystyle g(T) = a_0I + a_1T + \dots + a_nT^n\) (where \(\displaystyle I\) is the identity transformation). We also recently learned about the exponential of a matrix. My question is that for a linear operator \(\displaystyle T: V \rightarrow V\) can the operator \(\displaystyle e^T\) be defined? (For example, like how \(\displaystyle e^A\) is defined for a matrix \(\displaystyle A\)) (I tried searching for information on it but all I found was information on the exponential of a matrix). Thanks.

Welcome to MHB, ryo0071! :)

The operator $e^T$ is well defined if the corresponding power series is well defined as well and converges.
So let's try it:
$$e^T = I + \frac 1 {2!} T + \frac 1 {3!} T^2 + ...$$

This is a linear combination of linear operators applied to themselves, meaning this is well defined.
Does it converge?
That depends on your T.
Let's pick the identity, then $e^I = I + \frac 1 2 I + \frac 1 {3!} I^2 + ... = e I$.
Looks good doesn't it?

So the answer to your question is yes.
You can define an operator $e^T$ just like you can for a matrix.

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured it probably would be defined like that. How would one test for convergence? (I suppose a better question is how does one define a norm for a linear operator?) And another question would be what part of math would you study things like these (functions of operators)?

Last edited:
ryo0071 said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess it probably would be defined like that. How would one test for convergence? (I suppose a better question is how does one define a norm for a linear operator?) And another question would be what part of math would you study things like these (functions of operators)?

The norm for a linear operator is defined here.
As you can see here, it always converges if the vector space has finite dimensions, since any such linear operator can be written as a matrix.
The mathematical branch is functional analysis that studies vector spaces and structures upon them.

Thanks for the links. I look forward to taking a course on functional analysis.

Related to Is the Exponential of a Linear Operator Defined?

1. What is the definition of the exponential of an operator?

The exponential of an operator is a mathematical function that is defined for operators, which are symbols that represent a mathematical operation. It is denoted as e^A, where A is the operator. The exponential of an operator is a series that represents the sum of all the powers of the operator, starting with the identity operator (which has a value of 1).

2. How is the exponential of an operator calculated?

The exponential of an operator is calculated using the Taylor series expansion, which is a mathematical formula that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. The series is evaluated by substituting the operator into the series and then simplifying the terms using basic algebraic rules. The resulting series is then truncated to a finite number of terms to obtain an approximate value of the exponential of the operator.

3. What are the properties of the exponential of an operator?

The exponential of an operator has several important properties, including linearity, associativity, and commutativity. It also has a special property known as the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, which relates the exponential of two operators to the product and commutator of those operators. Additionally, the exponential of an operator can be used to solve certain differential equations and is related to the quantum mechanical evolution of a physical system.

4. What is the significance of the exponential of an operator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the exponential of an operator is used to represent time evolution of a state vector. This is because the exponential of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system, gives the time evolution operator. The exponential of an operator is also used in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and in the calculation of quantum mechanical observables.

5. Can the exponential of an operator be calculated for any type of operator?

No, the exponential of an operator can only be calculated for certain types of operators, such as linear operators. It cannot be calculated for non-linear operators, such as trigonometric functions. Additionally, the exponential of an operator may not exist if the operator does not have a finite number of powers or if the series does not converge.