Is the expectation value of momentum of a stationary state zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Hamiltonian, wavefunctions, and energy in a stationary state. The question is raised whether the momentum expectation value is always zero in a stationary state, and various methods of proving it are discussed. It is ultimately determined that this is not always the case, as there are counterexamples such as the free particle hamiltonian and momentum eigenstates. It is concluded that in general, bound states will have <p> = 0 due to their normalizability.
praharmitra
Given a stationary state

[tex]
H \psi = E \psi \Rightarrow \left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\right)\psi = E\psi
[/tex]

Firstly is it true that

[tex]
\left<p\right> = \frac{\hbar}{i}\int\psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} dx= 0
[/tex] ??

If it is, how do we prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is true. You can prove it by using Ehrenfest's theorem. By the correspondence principle, <p>=m*d<x>/dt. In a stationary state, expectations do not change in time, and so d<x>/dt=0.

The point I have reached till now, has not yet proved Ehrenfest Theorem (It has been merely pointed out as an amazing coincidence!)

I was wondering if it were possible to show by some brute force calculations and playing around with derivatives?

Ehrenfest's theorem is only used to prove <p>=m*d<x>/dt. Correspondence principle, though, gives you that result immediately. If you believe in the correspondence principle, then you can get the result immediately.

There probably is a brute force method, but I can't think of one at this moment.

praharmitra said:
Given a stationary state

[tex]
H \psi = E \psi \Rightarrow \left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\right)\psi = E\psi
[/tex]

Firstly is it true that

[tex]
\left<p\right> = \frac{\hbar}{i}\int\psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} dx= 0
[/tex] ??

Well, I'm not sure this is true for any V(x). Namely, if you take V(x) = 0, then you would not get <p> = 0, obviously. If you are thinking of bound states, it kinda feels one could devise up such V(x,t) to get <p> != 0. But I'll think this trough ...

praharmitra said:
The point I have reached till now, has not yet proved Ehrenfest Theorem (It has been merely pointed out as an amazing coincidence!)

I was wondering if it were possible to show by some brute force calculations and playing around with derivatives?

Some stationary states have non-zero momentum, for example, all the stationary states of H = p^2 + V with V = 0. Of course, these are not bound states.

If you would like to focus on bound states then there are several ways you might proceed.

If the wavefunction is real and normalizable, then it follows from a few manipulations of the definition that <p> = 0. Thus one way to make partial progress would be to investigate when bound states can be made real. You may already know the answer to this question.

You could also just prove <p> = m d<x>/dt for bound states directly. For example, start from the right hand side, bring the time derivatives inside, and use Schrodinger's equation. You'll end up considering the expectation value of a certain commutator.

Matterwave said:
Yes, it is true. You can prove it by using Ehrenfest's theorem. By the correspondence principle, <p>=m*d<x>/dt. In a stationary state, expectations do not change in time, and so d<x>/dt=0.

There is an amusing exception to this rule. A particle on a ring has stationary states with <p> not equal to zero. (A particle on a line also has this feature, but there the momentum "eigenstates" are not normalizable as you know). Ehrenfest's theorem is evaded because there is no single valued operator x, only exp(i x/R) with R the ring radius makes sense.

I figured it out. Schrodinger's equation is

[tex]
\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\right)\psi = E\psi
[/tex]
Multiply this by [itex]\psi^*[/itex] and its c.c. by [itex]\psi[/itex] and subtract. Then integrate, we get

[tex]
\psi \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x}= c+ \psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}
[/tex]
The constant [itex]c[/itex] must be zero because of the boundary conditions of [itex]\psi[/itex] at infinity. (This is simply the statement that the probability current of a stationary state is zero).

Integrating both sides again and using integration by parts we can show

[tex] \left<p\right> = 0 [/tex]

What about the case when the potential is dependent on x squared? In the case of a quantum harmonic oscillator if we apply Ehrenfest's theorem it yields that d<p>/dt=-m*w^2*<x> (<x> is 0) is 0 so it means <p> can be a constant greater than 0.
Am i missing something?

Thanks

praharmitra said:
Given a stationary state

[tex]
[/tex]

Firstly is it true that

[tex]
[/tex] ??

No, it's not true. The obvious counter example is the free particle hamiltonian and the momentum eigenstates. They're all stationary and can have any momentum expectation you desire.

In general you will also find bound stationary states with non-vanishing angular momentum. Linear momentum will have to vanish because a bound state cannot go anywhere. But only bound states are normalizable, so you should be able to prove that any proper energy eigenstate in fact results in <p> = 0.

Last edited:

Related to Is the expectation value of momentum of a stationary state zero?

1. What is the concept of expectation value of momentum in a stationary state?

The expectation value of momentum in a stationary state is a measure of the average momentum of a particle in a given quantum state. It represents the most probable value of the momentum that would be measured if the particle was observed.

2. Why is the expectation value of momentum important in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of momentum is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in a given quantum state. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate other physical quantities such as energy and position.

3. How is the expectation value of momentum calculated in a stationary state?

The expectation value of momentum in a stationary state is calculated by taking the integral of the momentum operator over the entire wavefunction of the particle. This is done using the Schrödinger equation and the wavefunction of the particle in the given quantum state.

4. Is the expectation value of momentum always zero in a stationary state?

No, the expectation value of momentum is not always zero in a stationary state. It can have a non-zero value depending on the properties of the wavefunction and the potential energy of the system. However, in some specific cases, such as a particle in a box, it can be shown that the expectation value of momentum is indeed zero.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to the expectation value of momentum?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. The expectation value of momentum plays a crucial role in this principle, as it represents the most probable value of the momentum of a particle. Therefore, the uncertainty in momentum can be related to the uncertainty in position through the expectation value of momentum.