Is the Euclidean postulate a theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel lines and how it is affected by the 5th postulate in Euclidean geometry. It is mentioned that the uniqueness of perpendiculars does not imply the uniqueness of parallels. The conversation also mentions the existence of a non-Euclidean geometry where the 5th postulate is not true. It is argued that the construction of parallel lines using arcs is incorrect and that there is a misunderstanding in the concept of uniqueness in parallel lines.
pbuk said:
you have assumed that you can draw a unique line from a point A intersecting a line β at right angles. This is an alternative axiom that defines Euclidean geometry, and your proof is correct.
No,this is not an axiom.In my school textbook is a theorem proven by arcs,not by a postulate.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lavinia said:
I think that in some sense, two perpendiculars through two separate points on a line must be parallel without the parallel postulate,
Yes.This is proven by arcs.
But as @mathwonk explained there may be others.
No.You cannot draw others.Read former posts.

binis said:
I didn't say three points. I said 3 straight lines.
So? Note that "straight" is an undefined term. You are not allowed to use it.

• Wow
Likes binis
jbriggs444 said:
So? Note that "straight" is an undefined term. You are not allowed to use it.
What is a triangle?

binis said:
What is a triangle?
A geometric figure consisting of three points and the three line segments connecting them pairwise. The word "straight" does not appear in this definition. If you wish to use the term "straight", you must be prepared to define it first.

Often there is a restriction that the three points not be co-linear. Optionally, one accepts degenerate triangles where this restriction is not obeyed.

Getting back to the subject matter at hand, a "triangle" in the full space may not match a "triangle" in a lower dimensional subspace embedded therein. Nor do "lines" in the full space necessarily match "lines" in the subspace.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
A geometric figure consisting of three points and the three line segments connecting them pairwise. The word "straight" does not appear in this definition. If you wish to use the term "straight", you must be prepared to define it first.
I think that the definitions of the point, the (straight) line etc. are the first four postulates.If you know any definition please share it with us.Can the three line segments be curves?

binis said:
I think that the definitions of the point, the (straight) line etc. are the first four postulates.
Those are more characterizations than definitions. The terms "point" and "line" are taken as undefined. The four postulates establish some relationships between the terms.
Can the three line segments be curves?
You have not provided a definition for "curve".

But I think I know what you mean. The answer is yes. A "straight" line in a sub-space can be a "curved" line in the full space. For instance, if we restrict our attention to the surface of a sphere, a great circle path is "straight" -- it is the shortest path between two points.

Likes Infrared and pbuk
binis said:
No,this is not an axiom.In my school textbook is a theorem proven by arcs,not by a postulate.
<sigh> In that case your 'proof by arcs' (I do not know what that is) must either be an axiom or a theorem proved by some other axiom in addition to the first four postulates. You must understand that no one else here has access to your school textbook so you need to put more effort into explaining the terms that you use. Perhaps you could start by considering how your school textbook treats the parallel postulate: is it an axiom? If so, you cannot use any theorems derived from it in order to 'prove' it.

You keep stating that things that are true in Euclidean geometry are always true, despite being provided with many explanations and counter-examples. If you are not going to make the effort to understand what others are posting there is not much point in continuing this thread.

Have you tried learning about non-Euclidean geometry? These references at MathWorld and Wikipedia may help or you could just search for it.

• Informative
Likes Infrared and binis
jbriggs444 said:
The answer is yes.
So a cycle is a triangle.
a sphere, a great circle path is "straight" -- it is the shortest path between two points.
What is a sphere? What is circle? What does it mean "shortest"?

pbuk said:
<sigh> In that case your 'proof by arcs' (I do not know what that is) must either be an axiom or a theorem proved by some other axiom in addition to the first four postulates. You must understand that no one else here has access to your school textbook so you need to put more effort into explaining the terms that you use. Perhaps you could start by considering how your school textbook treats the parallel postulate: is it an axiom? If so, you cannot use any theorems derived from it in order to 'prove' it.
I had been surprised when I was reading my old textbook. Inside this,the two theorems of perpendicularity are proven by arcs.After that,in the next pages the parallel postulate is presented as an axiom.

binis said:
So a cycle is a triangle.
I did not say that. Please use sarcasm more carefully.
What is a sphere? What is circle? What does it mean "shortest"?
A sphere is the set of all points equidistant from a chosen point -- in three dimensions.
A circle is the set of all points equidistant from a chosen point -- in two dimensions.

Shortest is difficult to define tersely. One way to approach it is to start with a distance measure on the space and the idea of a parameterized curve. A parameterized curve is a set of points that, loosely speaking, one can draw without picking up a pencil from the paper. The parameter is any numeric measure that smoothly increases from one end of the curve to the other. The length of the curve is the path integral of the distance measure from one end to the other. The "shortest path" from A to B is the set of points in the parameterized curve that starts at A and ends at B and which has the smallest length. [I am not sure that this is the standard approach. I've never been exposed to a formal exposition of the notion of path length].

Edit: Wikipedia uses pretty much the same approach. They call it a differentiable function rather than a parameterized curve. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

There.

I had definitions available for the terms I used. You have yet to present definitions for the terms you use.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes binis
jbriggs444 said:
I did not say that. Please use sarcasm more carefully.
I did not sarcasm.Your definition for the triangle also applies to the cycle.
You have yet to present definitions for the terms you use.
A straight line is the shortest line connecting two points.

binis said:
I did not sarcasm.Your definition for the triangle also applies to the cycle.A straight line is the shortest line connecting two points.
What is a "cycle"?

In Euclidean geometry, there is only one line connecting two points. So it is automatically the shortest. That means that the adjective "straight" by your definition conveys no information.

jbriggs444 said:
What is a "cycle"?
A cycle is the set of all points equidistant from a chosen point -- in two dimensions.

binis said:
A cycle is the set of all points equidistant from a chosen point -- in two dimensions.
Ahh. I would have called that a "circle". A language difficulty, it seems.

So you have in mind that if we pick out three points on it then the equator on a sphere counts as a degenerate "triangle" on the surface of that sphere. Yes, it seems to fit the definition.

Similarly, I expect that you consider a line segment to be a triangle.

jbriggs444 said:
So you have in mind that if we pick out three points on it then the equator on a sphere counts as a degenerate "triangle" on the surface of that sphere. Yes, it seems to fit the definition.
By your definition for the triangle (post 40) and your clarification in post 42,connecting three points by curved line segments could resulting to draw i.e. an ellipse or even a circle.

binis said:
By your definition for the triangle (post 40) and your clarification in post 42,connecting three points by curved line segments could resulting to draw i.e. an ellipse or even a circle.
The equator on a sphere is straight by your definition.

jbriggs444 said:
The equator on a sphere is straight by your definition.
And this is by your definition,which is wider than mine.

Definitions are just that. They are there to be helpful. This thread is not helpful. There is no such thing as "my" definition having any particular merit, let alone being the only one that is "correct".
Thread closed

Likes weirdoguy